Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Explorer Limited, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

So our home like many modern homes has a pretty small garage. Long before we received our R1S I had somewhat perfected the art of jamming a full explorer Platinum edition into the garage with the existing shelving. As you'll see in most of the pictures I fully embrace the third dimension for storage with heavy reliance on pulleys. With the R1S being just a little bit longer (although about the same with) it was time for some upgrades...

First up I had already padded the front of the shelf for the vehicle to nose right up to it without any scratches on the bumper. Heavy use of pool noodles here and tie wraps or staples on the back side.
Rivian R1T R1S How to: TIGHT parking for R1S in garage 20230326_194237

The wife was concerned though that she doesn't usually pull up quite that far and it's a necessity now for the back to clear the garage door. So I went with a curb from Amazon. Pretty good for the price and the tallest one they offer at 4 inches. It is all rubber. It does have two places for you to use bolts but the wife didn't want me drilling into the garage floor just yet. So I went with 3M super automotive adhesive on the bottom. He did the tape a little bit with a torch and the concrete quite a bit was a torch after spraying and cleaning with de-icer fluid that's practically all alcohol to evaporate. Set a bag of fertilizer on it for a couple hours and it's pretty strong already and should be full strength in 72 hours. If it fails we will go with the tapcons. The curb does a good job of stopping the big tires though, but but of course they will climb it if you give it enough power so... THRUSTERS ONLY IN SPACE DOCK please.

Rivian R1T R1S How to: TIGHT parking for R1S in garage 20230326_194248

In the back more pool noodles segmented and tie wrapped to the parts of the garage door just in case there was an error in judgment in something were to rub there's at least a little room for error.
Rivian R1T R1S How to: TIGHT parking for R1S in garage 20230326_194316

The inside handle of the door was removed with my porta band when it was deemed unnecessary risk and unnecessary parts since the door is kept locked by the garage door opener and I long since removed the lock bars to make sure somebody didn't lock it and burn out the motor anyway.

Finally for a left to right alignment to make sure there's enough room to swing open the door in the garage without hitting my mustang or anything else I drew a line on the shelving unit that should align with the ridge in the hood directly in front of the steering wheel when parking.

Working out pretty good so far. It does give me a great idea though....

It would be cool if rivian could allow you to "set" a parking spot. That is put the car where you want in the garage and then using the front camera somehow allow it to snap a photo with virtual lines on it and then when you came back another time you could have it pop up that photo in virtual lines (like the reserve camera lines) that you should maneuver to match the template lines. I know they have other software improvements that are a higher priority though.
Rivian R1T R1S How to: TIGHT parking for R1S in garage 20230326_194241

Here are links to the tape and curb:

Guardian Heavy Duty Rubber Parking Curb - 22" Long https://a.co/d/6qb0OY4

3M Super-Strength Molding Tape, 03616, 7/8 in x 15 ft, 1 Roll https://a.co/d/0Qw6kdz
Sponsored

Last edited:

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
So our home like mini modern homes has a pretty small garage. Long before we received our R1S I had somewhat perfected the art of jamming a full explorer Platinum edition into the garage with the existing shelving. As you'll see in most of the pictures I fully embrace the third dimension for storage with heavy reliance on pulleys. With the R1S being just a little bit longer (although about the same with) it was time for some upgrades...

First up I had already padded the front of the shelf for the vehicle to nose right up to it without any scratches on the bumper. Heavy use of pool noodles here and tie wraps or staples on the back side.
20230326_194237.jpg

The wife was concerned though that she doesn't usually pull up quite that far and it's a necessity now for the back to clear the garage door. So I went with a curb from Amazon. Pretty good for the price and the tallest one they offer at 4 inches. It is all rubber. It does have two places for you to use bolts but the wife didn't want me drilling into the garage floor just yet. So I went with 3M super automotive adhesive on the bottom. He did the tape a little bit with a torch and the concrete quite a bit was a torch after spraying and cleaning with de-icer fluid that's practically all alcohol to evaporate. Set a bag of fertilizer on it for a couple hours and it's pretty strong already and should be full strength in 72 hours. If it fails we will go with the tapcons. The curb does a good job of stopping the big tires though, but but of course they will climb it if you give it enough power so... THRUSTERS ONLY IN SPACE DOCK please.

20230326_194248.jpg

In the back more pool noodles segmented and tie wrapped to the parts of the garage door just in case there was an error in judgment in something were to rub there's at least a little room for error.
20230326_194316.jpg

The inside handle of the door was removed with my porta band when it was deemed unnecessary risk and unnecessary parts since the door is kept locked by the garage door opener and I long since removed the lock bars to make sure somebody didn't lock it and burn out the motor anyway.

Finally for a left to right alignment to make sure there's enough room to swing open the door in the garage without hitting my mustang or anything else I drew a line on the shelving unit that should align with the ridge in the hood directly in front of the steering wheel when parking.

Working out pretty good so far. It does give me a great idea though....

It would be cool if rivian could allow you to "set" a parking spot. That is put the car where you want in the garage and then using the front camera somehow allow it to snap a photo with virtual lines on it and then when you came back another time you could have it pop up that photo in virtual lines (like the reserve camera lines) that you should maneuver to match the template lines. I know they have other software improvements that are a higher priority though.

Here are links to the tape and curb:

Guardian Heavy Duty Rubber Parking Curb - 22" Long https://a.co/d/6qb0OY4

3M Super-Strength Molding Tape, 03616, 7/8 in x 15 ft, 1 Roll https://a.co/d/0Qw6kdz
Years ago I had a similar issue putting my K2500 extended cab short-bed in my garage. My solution was I used sistered 2x6s for the front of the bottom shelf so I could get rid of the middle support pole and had the shelf high enough to pull under it. Worked great for me, never had an issue.

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
I posted this in another thread, and ours is not as tight a fit as yours but we have about a foot to spare. So roughly 6 inches in front and 6 inches in back.

I have three strips of duct tape on the floor that align with the backup camera. We’re back in our vehicles as there is a 90 degree curve from the road to our garage.

First step is to line up with a mark in the garage along the back side of the truck. Then when I see the first strip of tape go past the backup camera, full left turn to get the nose tucked in behind the side of the garage door. When I see the second strip of tape, put the wheel straight. Back up to the last step of tape and it’s done.

OP
OP
jeeden

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

I posted this in another thread, and ours is not as tight a fit as yours but we have about a foot to spare. So roughly 6 inches in front and 6 inches in back.

I have three strips of duct tape on the floor that align with the backup camera. We’re back in our vehicles as there is a 90 degree curve from the road to our garage.

First step is to line up with a mark in the garage along the back side of the truck. Then when I see the first strip of tape go past the backup camera, full left turn to get the nose tucked in behind the side of the garage door. When I see the second strip of tape, put the wheel straight. Back up to the last step of tape and it’s done.

Haha wow. I think this inspired me to take my virtual parking idea to the next level. Can't we just get an image of Gear Guard Gary on the screen with some aircraft signalling batons telling us when to go forward, left,.right , back and stop?

Sponsored

DJ24

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Clubs

Do you remember the measurement (length-wise) of your usable space in the garage? I thought I would have a few inches but recently got a new garage door that took those few inches away. I am a little worried I may be an inch short of the advertised 200.8” length for my R1S. (Post gave me some great ideas though if I can squeeze it in!)

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Do you remember the measurement (length-wise) of your usable space in the garage? I thought I would have a few inches but recently got a new garage door that took those few inches away. I am a little worried I may be an inch short of the advertised 200.8” length for my R1S. (Post gave me some great ideas though if I can squeeze it in!)
I think you want at least 205” if you can, less is really tight.
Rivian R1T R1S How to: TIGHT parking for R1S in garage 2CED85D0-51A5-4E86-8A17-522FBF47E648
Rivian R1T R1S How to: TIGHT parking for R1S in garage FECA12D9-B3B4-4ECF-AD78-697E1212AB2B

OP
OP
jeeden

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

haha, yea. The problem is if I do that there is then the danger of getting into the snowblower, mower, and welder that sits there. It fits as is though. I am doing to pad the front of the shelf and test the frunk to see if it clears when opening in case someone opens it by mistake or wants to put something in there while in the garage.

The measurements above seem good to me, I would say 205 inches is it. That garage floor is beautiful too. My garage is organized, but looks horrible, I'm always jealous of the floors and the garage siding I see so many have.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Did the admin edit your title? What the hell happened to your R1T? Or is this a "Fit your R1T in your tight garage by switching to an R1S" post?

OP
OP
jeeden

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Did the admin edit your title? What the hell happened to your R1T? Or is this a "Fit your R1T in your tight garage by switching to an R1S" post?
Yeah I'm not sure I thought it said R1S when I made the thread. I just fixed it see if it sticks this time :)

OP
OP
jeeden

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

DF61AE59-29A9-46FA-83D0-5A23C8C40BD8.jpeg

I don’t think kissing my front wall will clear the rear.

A13D0F77-6120-45B2-AB0F-4A0BE6A8E09D.jpeg
I think you're right. That extra length of the truck bed looks to be the last straw.

Fclmd

First Name
Fawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Kia Telluride
Clubs

Haha wow. I think this inspired me to take my virtual parking idea to the next level. Can't we just get an image of Gear Guard Gary on the screen with some aircraft signalling batons telling us when to go forward, left,.right , back and stop?
Like it!! Good idea 🤣
Sponsored