Sponsored

HV battery / drive unit replacement experiences?

seajayseven

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Occupation
Jobs
Looking to hear from anyone that has needed a full battery / drive unit ( front or rear) replacement. Looking like that is the proposed fix for my truck at 742 miles. Thanks
Sponsored

RockStrongo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list
Mines in the shop right now having the front drive unit replaced. Been in there two weeks now. There was a clicking sound coming from it, no other symptoms.

OP
OP

seajayseven

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Occupation
Jobs
How many miles? No battery issues?
Thanks.

M4H4X

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T Launch Edition, 22 Corvette C8 Z51 2LT HTC
Occupation
Software Engineer
Mine's currently in the shop for this. 800 miles on it. I'm really stoked about it!

Sponsored

OP
OP

seajayseven

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Occupation
Jobs
Ugh sorry.

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
My truck has been in the service center for seven weeks now. It went in for a couple of issues and I was surprised when they told me they detected some codes and needed to replace one of the drive units. I never experienced any errors or issues with it.

The service center has been very thorough about fixing it, so I'm actually happy it's being completely worked through and resolved. I have an R1T loaner in the meantime, so it hasn't been a problem for me.

At this point, I think if given the offer to keep my truck or have a completely new one, I'd keep mine even if the drive unit has been replaced, just because I know it's now solid. A new truck is likely to come with some issues that would similarly need to be worked through by a service center.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Damn! Talk about bad luck.

Monroe and Associates just posted a YT tear down of the R1T Bosch motor drivetrain. It looked pretty robust but it was very interesting how the dual motors share one inverter to convert DC to AC to power the motors.

backfist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Looking to hear from anyone that has needed a full battery / drive unit ( front or rear) replacement. Looking like that is the proposed fix for my truck at 742 miles. Thanks
Rear drive unit replaced on my R1T. Right around five hundred miles and after it was "fixed." Just picked it up yesterday after it died two weeks ago. They believe it was the High Voltage to Low Voltage Inverter that is integrated into the drive unit. They cannot just replace the inverter. Had to ship a drive unit out from the factory. They believe this was the cause of all of the software/hardware issues I was having. We shall see. I volunteered this truck to become a service loaner/test drive vehicle and to replace mine with a new one. Crickets.

BeachTails

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Not sure if it's comforting or heartbreaking to hear I'm not the only one... Drove to a Dr's appointment last Thursday from the OR Coast to Portland and had a sudden message (at 65 mph in the left lane!) that Emergency Braking was activated and to pull over NOW :stop:. Had the truck for a month with fewer than 1,000 miles (900 and some change). Ironically enough I was on the phone with Rivian setting up an appointment date for the other 17 issues I had already on the books as this "event" took place. She heard the whole thing and probably a few choice words as I worked to pull over with a breaking truck. Needless to say, I now had an immediate appointment. Hard reset did no good and it was towed from the Portland area to Bellevue, WA. Waiting to hear from them again, but so far it looks like the rear drive train (and who knows what else).

Not sure yet on duration, but I was not offered a loaner (I asked!) and am now in a gas guzzling Tacoma. This is my one vehicle and all decked out to travel with some or all 5 of my dogs...and rentals don't allow you to have dogs in them. Not sure how this will work since I have a Vet appointment coming up and this is the time of year I go into the woods for mushroom foraging with at least one dog 😢

It has left me frustrated and put a good dent in my trust of the vehicle. It could've broken down in a way worse spot or scenario and the Service Center folks have been awesome. No peep from my Guide though (can you ask to be assigned a new Guide post delivery?).

Glad this forum and fellow owners are here and keeping my fingers crossed for a speedy return of my "all fixed" R1T!

Sponsored

aw113sgte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1t
Those with noise that required drive unit replacement, what did it sound like? I have a clicking that I can detect between 15-30mph with moderate throttle, both on accel and decel. It clicks in frequency with vehicle/motor speed. Can only hear when windows are up due to other noises.

Mandarin

First Name
Serg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T

RockStrongo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list
Those with noise that required drive unit replacement, what did it sound like? I have a clicking that I can detect between 15-30mph with moderate throttle, both on accel and decel. It clicks in frequency with vehicle/motor speed. Can only hear when windows are up due to other noises.
So according to the techs the sound mine was making sounding like a flock of pigeons. I wouldn't describe it as such, I'd describe it as what would be consistent gear lash which was always there but you could only hear at lower speeds. It was on acceleration and deceleration. Sounded almost like there was a broken tooth and it chattered relative to the motor speed.

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40
My R1T died last Wednesday. Completely unresponsive in the morning. Mobile tech replaced the 12v batteries only to have them get drained in about 15 minutes. Multiple "critical battery issue" error messages and "high voltage warnings". Truck was towed to the service center and I'm waiting to hear back on the diagnostics and repair plan. I suspect it's going to be a HV battery pack replacement for me. Rivian has been very responsive. Had a mobile tech at my house within 2 hours and tow truck showed up on time. We'll see how the rest of it goes this week. The truck has been solid up to this point even with a low VIN#(6740). The first 5641 miles were glorious... ;)
Sponsored