Sponsored

If anyone wants to add back 12v in the frunk...

rhuber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S Plaid, 64 Mustang
‼MY TRUCK HAS NO 12V FRUNK SOCKET BUT THE HARNESS STILL HAS THE CONNECTOR FOR IT.
‼YOURS MAY NOT, AND RIVIAN WILL LIKELY REMOVE IT AT SOME POINT!

Do not buy something without checking to see if you have this under the plastic trim of the frunk on the drivers side.

Rivian R1T R1S If anyone wants to add back 12v in the frunk... 1680804827553

If you do, I found the correct connector, so you could add a 12v outlet to the frunk area if you choose. I bought a prewired pigtail from aliexpress. Apparently this connector is more commonly used as a headlight connector in a Nissan.

Part is Sumitomo 6188-0736 for the receptacle. I bought the below linked one, and will wire to a generic 12v socket.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804332755860.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US

Have fun.
Sponsored

suprteck

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Mechanic
‼MY TRUCK HAS NO 12V FRUNK SOCKET BUT THE HARNESS STILL HAS THE CONNECTOR FOR IT.

Do not buy something without checking to see if you have this under the plastic trim of the frunk on the drivers side.

1680804827553.png

If you do, I found the correct connector, so you could add a 12v outlet to the frunk area if you choose. I bought a prewired pigtail from aliexpress. Apparently this connector is more commonly used as a headlight connector in a Nissan.

Part is Sumitomo 6188-0736 for the receptacle. I bought the below linked one, and will wire to a generic 12v socket.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804332755860.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US

Have fun.
Do you have a better picture zoomed out to see exactly where this connector is

shift4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T

1680804827553.png

Have fun.
This is the connector that is located on the outside of the plastic tub? The one you can see in the Munro teardown video?
Rivian R1T R1S If anyone wants to add back 12v in the frunk... Screenshot_20230417_215806_YouTube

Just double checking before I go through the effort of removing the plastic tub on my own R1T.

shift4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I popped off the plastic cover to the right of the frunk tub (you do not have to remove the whole frunk to access this area), and I see a connector similar to the one in your photo, but mine is already hooked up to something else. Was there an additional connector that was unused in your truck?

Rivian R1T R1S If anyone wants to add back 12v in the frunk... 20230418_134003

Rivian R1T R1S If anyone wants to add back 12v in the frunk... 20230418_134051

Sponsored

OP
OP

rhuber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Apologies - forgot to reply to the other message. The connection is for the interior frunk light on that side. You can see that the connector has more wires on the car harness side, and the unused ones are the 12v outlet feeds.

shift4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I went ahead and disconnected what was plugged in, and as far as I can tell the only thing that turned off was the driver side light in the frunk. I can live without that if it means being able to retrofit a 12V outlet, but I'm pretty sure I could make a splice to power both.

Rivian R1T R1S If anyone wants to add back 12v in the frunk... 20230418_135139

Rivian R1T R1S If anyone wants to add back 12v in the frunk... 20230418_135118

shift4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Apologies - forgot to reply to the other message. The connection is for the interior frunk light on that side. You can see that the connector has more wires on the car harness side, and the unused ones are the 12v outlet feeds.
Perfect, thank you for clarifying. I'm assuming you already installed a 12V outlet in your frunk? Did you just forgo the driver side frunk light or did you find a way to make both work?

Sponsored

OP
OP

rhuber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I bought both ends of the connector so I could split it off and keep the feeble light as well. I haven't had time to actually wire it up yet, though. :)

Tony R1S

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica Hybrid, R1S QM 21
Wow, this is great, thanks for sharing. So is this a switched 12V outlet, or always on (connected to the 12v batteries)? If it's switched, is there a way to keep it on like we can with the AC inverter outputs?

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I have the 12v in my frunk but im debating on just running a 12v straight off the batteries so my fridge stays running all the time. Anyone see an issue with this? Would it automatically see the 12v running low and charge it from the big battery?

shift4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Wow, this is great, thanks for sharing. So is this a switched 12V outlet, or always on (connected to the 12v batteries)? If it's switched, is there a way to keep it on like we can with the AC inverter outputs?
As far as I know the 12V outlets turn off when the truck goes to sleep. However, they added the ability to keep outlets on in one of the OTA updates, at least for a set amount of time (I have not tried it). If you do this though, it will slowly drain your 12V battery and I think there is a risk of completely discharging it.

shift4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I have the 12v in my frunk but im debating on just running a 12v straight off the batteries so my fridge stays running all the time. Anyone see an issue with this? Would it automatically see the 12v running low and charge it from the big battery?
It is possible that they added this ability with the recent OTA update that addressed the 12V battery draining issue. Unless you are using the fridge on a daily basis though, I would just make use of the keep outlets on option when you need it for camping, a day at the beach, etc.
Sponsored