Sponsored

If anyone wants to add back 12v in the frunk...

shift4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I believe I found the equivalent connector on Amazon, not as cheap but I am happy to pay more to get it in 2 days instead of 2 months. *EDIT* - This connector appears to be a mirrored version of the one in the truck, so I canceled the order and will keep looking for the correct connector.
www.amazon.com/dp/B0BVJ4VYQR?psc=1&smid=AHA94H3BYL0NF&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp
Rivian R1T R1S If anyone wants to add back 12v in the frunk... 515LUvR8EcL._SL1000_

I also ordered this 2-socket 12V outlet splitter, since my end goal is to have both the frunk water tank and frunk cooler/freezer that @BoxGods is making plugged in.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09MKS53XK?smid=AVUQZYQXFYZNI&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp&th=1
Rivian R1T R1S If anyone wants to add back 12v in the frunk... 61u1fPrhcgL._AC_SL1500_

I will update how the installation goes once I receive both.
Sponsored

Last edited:

AbhorViolence

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 VW GTI, 1998 Toyota Tacoma
I believe I found the equivalent connector on Amazon, not as cheap but I am happy to pay more to get it in 2 days instead of 2 months.
www.amazon.com/dp/B0BVJ4VYQR?psc=1&smid=AHA94H3BYL0NF&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp
515LUvR8EcL._SL1000_.jpg

I also ordered this 2-socket 12V outlet splitter, since my end goal is to have both the frunk water tank and frunk cooler/freezer that @BoxGods is making plugged in.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09MKS53XK?smid=AVUQZYQXFYZNI&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp&th=1
61u1fPrhcgL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I will update how the installation goes once I receive both.
Make sure the wiring is adequate for whatever loads you're putting on this. A lot of these adapters have pretty small cheap wires.

shift4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Make sure the wiring is adequate for whatever loads you're putting on this. A lot of these adapters have pretty small cheap wires.
Wire is 14 gauge, which should be sufficient, as well as a 15A fuse. I did notice however that the picture of the connector seems to be a mirrored opposite of the one in the truck, so I canceled that portion of the order and will keep looking.

agame32

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Now that it appears current builds don’t have the connector nor wires, are there any good paths to adding power to the frunk?

Sponsored

VHRivian

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Chevrolet Traverse
Now that it appears current builds don’t have the connector nor wires, are there any good paths to adding power to the frunk?
I would love to know this as well. My 03/23 R1S build does not have the wiring.

agame32

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
I would love to know this as well. My 03/23 R1S build does not have the wiring.
I recently spoke with my guide and he confirmed my pending 2023 LE will not have the frunk nor under-dash 12v. I asked if Rivian had any guidance for adding power to either of those locations and he said no (that’s what I expected but figured I’d ask).

Silver9k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19' CX-5 D, 16' Mazda3, 07 S2000
Correct me if I’m wrong as I haven’t looked into this myself yet, however based on what the OP posted it doesn’t appear a new harness is needed?

The current harness has 4 wires going to it. 2 of which are for the light, the other two presumably for the not present 12v outlet. All one would need to do is add the wires for the out to the existing harness in the respective channels for the unused wires…

shift4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Correct me if I’m wrong as I haven’t looked into this myself yet, however based on what the OP posted it doesn’t appear a new harness is needed?

The current harness has 4 wires going to it. 2 of which are for the light, the other two presumably for the not present 12v outlet. All one would need to do is add the wires for the out to the existing harness in the respective channels for the unused wires…
You are correct, and this is what I plan to do (have not gotten around to doing it yet though). You need the correct terminals to connect the wires to the harness though, which I could not find anywhere else but from the link the OP posted from Ali Express.

agame32

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y

I believe it’s true that after a certain VIN the 12v wires are no longer there. My understanding…

Original: Fully wired 12v plug
Next: No 12v plug, but has harness
Next, next: No 12v plug, but has wires
Latest/current: No nothing…

Sponsored

shift4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I believe it’s true that after a certain VIN the 12v wires are no longer there. My understanding…

Original: Fully wired 12v plug
Next: No 12v plug, but has harness
Next, next: No 12v plug, but has wires
Latest/current: No nothing…
Original: Fully wired 12v outlet
Next: No 12v outlet, but wired from the battery to the harness and from the harness to the location of the outlet (with wires taped off)
Next, next: No 12v outlet, only wired from the battery to the harness
Latest/current: ? (I am curious to know if someone can confirm there are no longer wires from the battery to the harness).

obfuscurity

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model 3, Audi SQ5
Has anyone done a frunk / battery area teardown video that would be approachable for someone like me who's a little wary of ripping apart their luxury truck?

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Has anyone done a frunk / battery area teardown video that would be approachable for someone like me who's a little wary of ripping apart their luxury truck?
Ohmmu did one........

shift4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
You do not need to remove the frunk to access the wiring harness. You only need to lift the driver side plastic trim piece to the right of the frunk tub.

obfuscurity

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model 3, Audi SQ5
You do not need to remove the frunk to access the wiring harness. You only need to lift the driver side plastic trim piece to the right of the frunk tub.
Ok, but is that simple and straightforward? Any chance of easily breaking tabs or clips?
Sponsored