Sponsored

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
Last weekend my wife and I broke in our iKamper X-Cover on a solo camping trip. This weekend we took our three kids and two dogs and were able to use the iKamper Annex.

For those of you not familiar with the Annex, it's essentially a large covered extension/shelter to the roof top tent. It's a very robust product, with high quality materials. It was a little tricky to setup the first time, but one of the nicest parts is it velcros and zips to the roof top tent to create a rain proof seal. This inside is bigger than expected and could easily accommodate 8 adults sitting inside during bad weather. We added the optional inner tent which was really easy to setup, and this was used for two of our kids and our dogs. Even with the inner tent setup it still left plenty of room for 6 people inside.

Highly recommended for those looking to add a shelter to your iKamper. If you are looking for a really quick setup, this is not it. But if you are willing to spend 15 minutes setting up the Annex, it a really well built and substantial shelter.

Rivian R1T R1S iKamper Annex room tent - tested and recommended IMG_6188

Rivian R1T R1S iKamper Annex room tent - tested and recommended IMG_6189

Rivian R1T R1S iKamper Annex room tent - tested and recommended IMG_6185

Rivian R1T R1S iKamper Annex room tent - tested and recommended IMG_6186

Rivian R1T R1S iKamper Annex room tent - tested and recommended IMG_6187
Sponsored

HokieBird7980

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Alpina B7, Mercedes GL550, Hyundai Tuscon
Occupation
Chief Commercial Officer, Pharmaceuticals
Clubs

Thanks for posting. I have the Mini 2.0 and i'm going on iKamper today to order an annex while it's on sale. Seems like a great fit and I did not know about the extra tent option, so thanks again for posting that.

WattsUp

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
What is the brand of the storage system for the clothes? Where do you store that when traveling in the truck? Really cool.

OP
OP
manitou202

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
What is the brand of the storage system for the clothes? Where do you store that when traveling in the truck? Really cool.
It's actually a storage system for kitchen gear. You could easily use it for clothes however. We use it to storage all of our dishes, utensils, towels, and cooking accessories. The legs collapse so it easily fits under the tonneau cover.

Here is a link to the product.

https://www.campchef.com/sherpa-camp-table-&-organizer/CC-MSTAB.html

Synapticon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired
This thread motivated me to set up my annex today, as a dry run. First I highly recommend a ground cloth. I have a 10X10 CGear, sand-free multimat, which is excellent. Keeps the annex clean as well at preventing tracking into the tent itself. It aids in packing everything away, too. Although the annex is a bit cumbersome to assemble solo, the small features in the right places surprised me (strategic velcro tabs, covered zips, loops for stakes and poles).

I had visited the iKamper HQ in Kent, WA, and the folks there bent over backward to answer questions and help. I had originally ordered the taller version of the annex and they exchanged it and gave me a demonstration and tips on assembly. Since then I got a taller bed rack and was worried about sizing again but, it works fine.

Rivian R1T R1S iKamper Annex room tent - tested and recommended ikamper annex1

Rivian R1T R1S iKamper Annex room tent - tested and recommended ikamper annex3

Rivian R1T R1S iKamper Annex room tent - tested and recommended ikamper annex4

Rivian R1T R1S iKamper Annex room tent - tested and recommended ikamper annex5

Rivian R1T R1S iKamper Annex room tent - tested and recommended ikamper annex6

Rivian R1T R1S iKamper Annex room tent - tested and recommended ikamper annex7

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Do you typically just camp out at one site for a weekend or do you pack up to drive to other activities for the day? That's what's stopped me from having extra stuff involved. It's slow enough to pack up without the annex.

Ingo B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Word Slinger
Forgive the possibly dumb question, but was that a group campsite, or are these overlanding areas normally that packed together?

OP
OP
manitou202

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
Forgive the possibly dumb question, but was that a group campsite, or are these overlanding areas normally that packed together?
The other vehicles are our friends. We were camping on their property. No one else around.

When camping on public lands or at public camp sites it varies a lot in terms of space between sites. In Colorado we are lucky enough to have plenty of remote areas where you can really space out.

Synapticon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired
In Oregon, accessible dispersed camping (FS and BLM land) is very common. To go and set up camp in one spot and for days you could not ride the same mountain bike trail twice. Not to mention hiking, climbing, fishing, SUP... the list goes on. One could camp (primitive) for 14 days, no fees, no permit.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
It's actually a storage system for kitchen gear. You could easily use it for clothes however. We use it to storage all of our dishes, utensils, towels, and cooking accessories. The legs collapse so it easily fits under the tonneau cover.

Here is a link to the product.

https://www.campchef.com/sherpa-camp-table-&-organizer/CC-MSTAB.html
I have the Sherpa too. I have found the only way it fits in the bed (with the tonneau closed) is to lay it on it's back. Is that what you do as well, or do you have a different place to stash it?

This post has inspired me to try the Annex with our Roofnest. I bought used, and it came with the RTT, but I figured it would be kind of goofy with the lower bed mounting. I'd be interested to see just how goofy it really is.
Sponsored