Sponsored

Info on why max pack preorder holders "whine"

elfordon

First Name
Elfordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Large Charge Marge (Max Pack R1T)
Occupation
retired
Clubs

Here's what max pack preorder holders have been told:
  1. 2018/2019 preorder confirmation email: "Production will begin in 2020. Fully equipped vehicles with the highest performance level and largest battery pack will enter production first. Our 180 kWh and 135 kWh packs will be available at launch with the 105 kWh to follow in 2021."
  2. Around Nov 2020 from the Range FAQ on the Rivian website: "At launch, the R1T will deliver 300+ miles. In January 2022, a 400+ mile R1T will be available."
  3. Dec 28, 2021 estimated delivery window email: "Your Adventure Package R1T estimated delivery window will be the first half of 2023." (some max pack people were told "second half of 2023")
  4. Oct 28, 2022 estimated delivery window email: "R1T Quad-Motor + Max pack deliveries are now planned to start in 2024." (switching to dual motors, which aren't yet being manufactured, has "deliveries starting in Summer 2023.")
  5. Jan+Feb 2023 update email: “In January, R1T Preorder Holders with Max pack configurations were told you would receive a new delivery window estimate in late February. Unfortunately, we will need to adjust that timing to April as we continue to make the necessary changes to the configurator so you can choose between the Max pack with standard Dual-Motor or the Max pack with enhanced Dual-Motor.”
  6. Q4 2022 Rivian Shareholder Letter: “Deliveries of a ~400-mile R1 Max Pack variant are planned to begin in Fall 2023. We intend to make this configuration available to our existing preorder customers. We expect high demand and interest for this new offering.”
So this is why you see "whining" (aka, legitimate complaints) from max pack preorder holders. I understand everyone has seen delays due to the pandemic and supply chain and manufacturing issues, but max pack people went from the front of the line to the very back. And the dates for the back of the line keep getting pushed back further.

Just getting that off my chest. Happy Halloween!

(Edited to add disappointments 5 & 6.)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Wentworth

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘14 Silverado 1500, ‘22 i-Pace
Occupation
Stay at home parent, former airline pilot
Exactly, and thank you.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I think Max Pack order holders have every right to complain, whine, scream into a pillow, punch a wall, or anything else they see fit.

Tied or close second would be Canadian order holders.

Third would be any order holders who live in the "unknown zone" outside a certain proximity to a service center and are now put on the shelf after being strung along.

Fourth would be R1S orders, who should be justifiably angry but seem to be just awakening to the reality of the Rivian lottery that T order holders have been trying to figure out for over a year now. They are currently in the "conspiracy" phase of grieving.

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I lost almost all faith in the Max Pack when I did my first mile event and ask which ones had the Max Pack and how much heavier those trucks were. No one had any any clue. It became clear there wasn't even a prototype. I got home and changed my reservation to a Large Pack and dropped a second deposit for the Max Pack. If I'm compelled to trade in for more range, then I have the option. So far I'm happy with the 300 miles of range, but I haven't anything to tow. If that changes then the Large Pack becomes much less feasible.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I would add that I too am legitimately tired of "you don't need the max pack" comments, as non max orders are of hearing us bitch.

Sure I may not need it all the time, but I do need it. Having waited this long, compromising seems like a waste of my time in getting here today. I could have gone LE in November 2020 if I was intent on going that route, but chose not to. I'd also have saved 10K on the lesser battery, but again, doesn't fit my needs.

It's also been frustrating to watch the can kicking a year down the road every time we get within a few months of deliveries commencing. As you pointed out, it adds to our frustration as future owners having waited this long.

I'm likening it to every time I have to take a ferry from Vancouver to Vancouver Island, miss the ferry by a couple cars, only to find the subsequent ferry is cancelled, and now your stuck in a terminal waiting for the next ferry which arrives in 3+ hours. My brother put it well one day "Oh cool, ferries cancelled and I have to wait here for 5 hours for the next one, I'm real pissed, but I'm gonna sit here, wait and be pissed off in my car, cause what else am I gonna do!"

Sponsored

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
I think Max Pack order holders have every right to complain, whine, scream into a pillow, punch a wall, or anything else they see fit.

Tied or close second would be Canadian order holders.

Third would be any order holders who live in the "unknown zone" outside a certain proximity to a service center and are now put on the shelf after being strung along.

Fourth would be R1S orders, who should be justifiably angry but seem to be just awakening to the reality of the Rivian lottery that T order holders have been trying to figure out for over a year now. They are currently in the "conspiracy" phase of grieving.

Gif shown ironically was a Max Pack reservation holder when it was first delayed...

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Here's what max pack preorder holders have been told:
  1. 2018/2019 preorder confirmation email: "Production will begin in 2020. Fully equipped vehicles with the highest performance level and largest battery pack will enter production first. Our 180 kWh and 135 kWh packs will be available at launch with the 105 kWh to follow in 2021."
  2. Around Nov 2020 from the Range FAQ on the Rivian website: "At launch, the R1T will deliver 300+ miles. In January 2022, a 400+ mile R1T will be available."
  3. Dec 28, 2021 estimated delivery window email: "Your Adventure Package R1T estimated delivery window will be the first half of 2023." (some max pack people were told "second half of 2023")
  4. Oct 28, 2022 estimated delivery window email: "R1T Quad-Motor + Max pack deliveries are now planned to start in 2024." (switching to dual motors, which aren't yet being manufactured, has "deliveries starting in Summer 2023.")
So this is why you see "whining" (aka, legitimate complaints) from max pack preorder holders. I understand everyone has seen delays due to the pandemic and supply chain and manufacturing issues, but max pack people went from the front of the line to the very back. And the dates for the back of the line keep getting pushed back further.

Just getting that off my chest. Happy Halloween!
I have another theory but I don't think the max pack holders can handle it. Just some simple omission of words, which I have corrected.
  1. 2018/2019 preorder confirmation email: "Pre-Production will begin in 2020. Fully equipped vehicles with the highest performance level and largest battery pack available will enter production first. Our 180 kWh and 135 kWh packs will be available to preorder at launch with the 105 kWh to follow, sometime after we finalize our design in 2021."
  2. Around Nov 2020 from the Range FAQ on the Rivian website: "At launch, the R1T will deliver 300+ miles. In January 2022, a 400+ mile R1T will still be available to preorder."
  3. Dec 28, 2021 estimated delivery window email: "Your Adventure Package max pack R1T estimated delivery window will be updated before the first half of 2023." (some max pack people were told "second half of 2023")

Last edited:

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I would add that I too am legitimately tired of "you don't need the max pack" comments, as non max orders are of hearing us bitch.

Sure I may not need it all the time, but I do need it. Having waited this long, compromising seems like a waste of my time in getting here today. I could have gone LE in November 2020 if I was intent on going that route, but chose not to. I'd also have saved 10K on the lesser battery, but again, doesn't fit my needs.

It's also been frustrating to watch the can kicking a year down the road every time we get within a few months of deliveries commencing. As you pointed out, it adds to our frustration as future owners having waited this long.

I'm likening it to every time I have to take a ferry from Vancouver to Vancouver Island, miss the ferry by a couple cars, only to find the subsequent ferry is cancelled, and now your stuck in a terminal waiting for the next ferry which arrives in 3+ hours. My brother put it well one day "Oh cool, ferries cancelled and I have to wait here for 5 hours for the next one, I'm real pissed, but I'm gonna sit here, wait and be pissed off in my car, cause what else am I gonna do!"
Does it really even matter if you *need* it or not? If you decide you WANT it - enough said. Who are these people telling others what they should spend their money on?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Does it really even matter if you *need* it or not? If you decide you WANT it - enough said. Who are these people telling others what they should spend their money on?
I don't need a max pack. The last three+ weeks of my truck being in service and the period of time before that where I didn't own a truck says that I don't need a truck either. Riding my bicycle to work 3 times a week sometimes in 2018 when it was a 60 mile round trip says I don't even need a car to commute (though the time I attempted to ride my fat bike in the winter when it was actively snowing and turned around after only accomplishing ~5 miles in 45 minutes says otherwise, seasonally at least).

I want it. Strictly because it's going to give me more flexibility on long trips. That we don't take more than a few times a year.

OP
OP
elfordon

elfordon

First Name
Elfordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Clubs

I should have mentioned all max pack people should sit tight (and not cancel or change).

Per an interview between Rivian Stories guys and Tony Caravano of Rivian, there will be more info for max pack people "within weeks."

Last edited:

Sponsored

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
I switched from Max pack to large when it became clear that Max was no longer 1st to be produced - a small part of why I was willing to pony up for it. At time I was not pleased. But it was at this same time that I realized the weight of the Max pack would reduce payload capacity to such an extent it would be much less useful for towing (for me).

I'll happily take delivery of the large pack for now, and stay to shorter, decent weather trips when towing or when I have plenty of time to spend on charging stops.

The Max is clearly being re-engineered; likely with new motors, 800v, and who knows what else (roof, battery tech, etc.). RJ has said the motors are capable of 600 hp ea. So a new dual motor *may* offset the additional battery capacity. Maybe not.....especially if Munro and crew turns it into a GM product.

So I'll probably make an additional deposit on the "new" Max pack soon and either trade the large pack in or simply step back out of the max line if I find for whatever reason that doesn't work for me.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I don't need a max pack. The last three+ weeks of my truck being in service and the period of time before that where I didn't own a truck says that I don't need a truck either. Riding my bicycle to work 3 times a week sometimes in 2018 when it was a 60 mile round trip says I don't even need a car to commute (though the time I attempted to ride my fat bike in the winter when it was actively snowing and turned around after only accomplishing ~5 miles in 45 minutes says otherwise, seasonally at least).

I want it. Strictly because it's going to give me more flexibility on long trips. That we don't take more than a few times a year.
So true. It's all relative isn't it?

Winter riding is hardcore! When I was a 20 something year old bike messenger I had to ride all year here in CO and it was just miserable. The cold and ice was bad enough, but the ice melting gel they used to spray on the roads was toxic and almost just as slippery as ice when riding a bike through it. Now I'm a fair weather rider only - I put in my time LOL.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I switched from Max pack to large when it became clear that Max was no longer 1st to be produced - a small part of why I was willing to pony up for it. At time I was not pleased. But it was at this same time that I realized the weight of the Max pack would reduce payload capacity to such an extent it would be much less useful for towing (for me).
Rivian has bumped the tire load index of all the tires they are shipping since SOP from 115 to 116. I posit that this change was to give them more room in the payload calculations for the max pack. I have to believe they are making other changes that they won't ever actually talk about.
Rivian R1T R1S Info on why max pack preorder holders "whine" 1667239900562

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I should have mentioned all max pack people should sit tight (and not cancel or change).

Per an interview between Rivian Stories guys and Tony Caravan of Rivian, there will be more info for max pack people "in a few weeks."

The slightly frustrating part is the comment Tony made about getting info to us quicker, even if "it wasn't fully baked" That's a lame excuse for excluding key information that obviously caused them to make that call.

He did touch on potential battery chemistry changes etc being part of it, but I honestly expect the email about the Max in coming weeks, to be very superficial and more highlighting how great the Enduro option will be with "news on the Quad variant to come in 2023"

OP
OP
elfordon

elfordon

First Name
Elfordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Clubs

I have another theory but I don't think the max pack holders can handle it. Just some simple omission of words, which I have corrected.
Any words surrounded by quote marks in the original post was an exact quote from Rivian.
Sponsored