Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

I've taken the position that, as an early adopter, I represent Rivian to some degree. Here in northern Virginia there are maybe a dozen Rivians and I've got one of two R1S's I've seen around. I can be a jack wagon and then that becomes the image of Rivian to those who see my behavior. As a result, if someone asks, I'll stay as long as they want, answering questions they might have and telling them my experience with it (and with my Ioniq 5). Also, it's an affluent area where people know what Rivian is - I've only had one "what is that?". There's also the folks who have one on preorder; I appreciated getting a chance to look at one before I got mine (thanks again, @kanundrum), so I try to pay it forward and offer to let people who say they have a preorder jump in and check it out. Who knows what parking lot interaction will result in a reservation for Rivian? In the end, it's all self-serving as the price I've paid for my RIVN stock is orders of magnitude above where it sits now...

That being said, my Gear Guard videos are mostly people checking out the R1S... I hope it stays that way and I avoid the more ominous reasons to have the system...
Screen Shot 2023-03-14 at 1.05.56 AM.png
Where are you located? I'm in Western Loudoun and my blue R1S is getting delivered to my house in 6 days.
Sponsored

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
At a State Park campground, I was loading some gear into the frunk... a guy saw my hood raised and came down offering to provide assistance. He was dumbfounded when he looked into the frunk. He kept muttering "I'm a 20th century man trying to live in the 21st century..."

eemri

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60 Polestar Engineered
Clubs

“What’s the range?”
“Over 300! What’s your range?”
🦗🦗🦗
I love when this happens! I, too, enjoy asking people what their range in their ICE is and they look confused and slightly puzzled. Almost as if they're thinking "hmm, I guess I don't really know that"

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
I get quite a few "roll down the window while in traffic" questions, maybe because Rivian sightings are rare where I live. 90% of the time, the first question is about range.

The best comment was from a young woman in a parking lot: "That truck is real purdy. It's REAL purrrdy!" Both her and the guy she was with had big goofy smiles on their faces, I guess they had never seen anything like it.

Sponsored

Better Late than Never

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
Desk jockey
I’m a bit verbose by nature, so, when I get asked “is that a Ford” I happily launch i to “no it’s a Rivian! Made in Illnios” I have a habit of talking about my R1T like it’s a child piano prodigy. Seriously, was at the Milwaukee auto show. Rivian could’ve asked me to man a booth at the show for some merch and I would’ve instantly agreed. I kinda feel bad for teaching the Ford dealers about the Lightning and what its strengths and weaknesses are compared to the R1T.

If some asks me about my truck, they get one question and a 20 minute monologue on why it’s the greatest thing since sliced bread
I don't think it's just the ford guys. I accompanied my mom to the Volvo dealer to test drive an electric XC40. I had to explain to the dealer that "no, you do not have an electric XC60 model, just the C40, XC40. Yes, you have a plug-in hybrid. No, they aren't the same." I think I was too polite because I waited for him while he went to check with his manager to make sure.

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

I don't think it's just the ford guys. I accompanied my mom to the Volvo dealer to test drive an electric XC40. I had to explain to the dealer that "no, you do not have an electric XC60 model, just the C40, XC40. Yes, you have a plug-in hybrid. No, they aren't the same." I think I was too polite because I waited for him while he went to check with his manager to make sure.

This is a car dealer thing. You have a lot of people at those dealerships that are the "I can sell anything" type. They don't bother to learn about the cars, the technology, etc, they just want to make a sale and don't recognize that knowing those things might help them do it.

When I was purchasing the new (now last) generation mustang in 2015 I remember on the forums there was a person who went to a pretty good sized dealership in the middle of the country looking for the new Turbo 4 Mustang. You could immediately tell which ones had it if you knew which wheels came with which engine package etc...like we obsess over the Rivians. Anyway, this guy went to the dealership with the VIN from the ford site asking to see a particular one he wanted to buy. The salesman brought up one from the back lot that was the wrong color and not a Turbo 4. The guy then went back and brought up one that was the right color, but still not a turbo 4 and not the car the guy wanted that he knew they had. He told the salesman immediately and he started arguing with him it was the 4 cylinder. The salesman eventually said "if you aren't a serious buyer which apparently you aren't how about you just get off my lot!" and ran him off.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I get quite a few "roll down the window while in traffic" questions, maybe because Rivian sightings are rare where I live. 90% of the time, the first question is about range.

The best comment was from a young woman in a parking lot: "That truck is real purdy. It's REAL purrrdy!" Both her and the guy she was with had big goofy smiles on their faces, I guess they had never seen anything like it.
It does kinda have a purdy mouth don't it?

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
Owner of my local golf course was super interested in it. Asked a bunch of good questions: obviously knew what it was.

Another guy in the sprouts parking lot asked a bunch of questions. Talked about the lightning. Not sure he exactly knew what it was.

Asked how much it cost (this is my least favorite question because it takes a while to explain what it cost me with tax credit vs. what it might cost when you take delivery)

Animalhouse

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 hummer H3T (manual), 2018 dodge ram
Occupation
Contractor
Here in Huntsville the question range from “who makes this” to “ so what happens when the battery needs to be replaced bet that will cost you a pretty penny”.

I just tell people if they are curious even remotely about EV’s to watch or just background noise YouTube. They can get the good the bad the ugly on EV’s. Also if they don’t want to go full battery take a look at the many hybrids that are coming out.

I can comment on why I like my EV’s and that’s the dollar bottom line. Upfront cost suck (buying the vehicle/wall charger/ having wall charger installed) but after that it’s good.

Sponsored

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Almost everyone near where I live have single family homes with a garage easily capable of supporting at home charging. They also have a daily round trip commute <60 miles but are convinced an EV is not for them because they go on vacations every year that exceed 300 miles round trip. It kills me because there are legitimate reasons to stick with dino juice for example ev's tend to be pricier, or maybe you don't have confidence in battery longevity (weak argument), or maybe you love excessive maintenance on archaic contraptions, maybe you are hoping for proliferation of global warming so your property becomes beachfront. I could accept any of these but no it's always the range anxiety... cringeworthy.

Tango45

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, R1S
Clubs

Where are you located? I'm in Western Loudoun and my blue R1S is getting delivered to my house in 6 days.
Vienna. Hope your delivery goes well! I had to go to Richmond to pick it up, but that's a trip I'll make any day...

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Vienna. Hope your delivery goes well! I had to go to Richmond to pick it up, but that's a trip I'll make any day...
I just called today to add my R1S coming in next week to the insurance and my agent said "popular today." Of course I demanded to know everything about the person. She said it was someone with a Silver R1T in Berryville. Noted.

COTrails

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE (GW, FE, 21"), Audi A4
Occupation
Engineer
Telsa driver crept by me yesterday at the trailhead while I was unloading snowshoes from from frunk. He smiled and asked if I was having engine trouble. I told him I was pretty low on oil and asked if he had any to spare. We traded a laugh and he commented on how nice the R1S looked.
Sponsored