Interior peeling

BillR

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
This looks exactly like what happens to cheap RV grade fake ”painted leather” furniture and it doesn’t take anything more than sweat to cause it. Really disappointed if that is the case here.
Sponsored

Toha

First Name
Anton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forester
Occupation
Industrial mechanic
I have previously brought to Rivian attention the paint on the plastic, its not just more expensive for them to make but also has lots of problems with pealing and wearing rather the molded color plastic, was expecting this from day 1 , hate this as there is no fix to it other the rivian stops painting .

Brookliner

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Dad
Clubs

This happened to me. Tech came out with a new door panel. Winter’s here; not sure what I’ll do next summer. Good luck.

Cactus

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Feb 2014 Tesla Model S, June 2023 R1S
Occupation
Professor
Clubs

That is a great observation...a tiny ding on the metal below the peeling area. This makes me wonder that whatever was wrong with the door handle that required repair prior to me taking delivery... MAYBE that caused a problem and that also caused the peeling.

This very thin layer peeling off only 6 months since delivered makes me think there will be many others reporting problems soon.
I wonder if Rivian service might have sprayed some WD-40 lubricant in that area if there was an issue with the handle. WD-40 has DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide) in it. DMSO penetrates through lots of stuff including skin.

OP
OP

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
This happened to me. Tech came out with a new door panel. Winter’s here; not sure what I’ll do next summer. Good luck.
Did they declare it a warranty covered repair, or not?

Sponsored

JHep

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5, R1T reservation
Occupation
Retired
Prolonged rubbing combined with chemicals in the lotion, against a vegan leather (re: vinyl) surface. I think you nailed it.

Still I wouldn’t have expected that. I haven't seen it on any other plastics or leather finishes. Keep us updated.
Absolutely unacceptable. I wear sunscreen and shorts in every car I’ve had and they have vinyl side panels. Never has this happened.

OP
OP

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired physician
Covered by warranty. No questions asked.
Update: Rivian Service called the day before my scheduled mobile appointment to tell me, sight unseen, it would NOT be warranty covered, and would cost over $1000 to replace the door panel. I argued that their own service center likely caused this problem when they were working on my door handle before delivery. When they were cleaning up, they likely used some sort of cleaning agent and got it on the interior lining just under the door handle that required fixing or replacement before delivery. And that started the problem, and the lining just peeled off over time. I can't prove it, but it is a very reasonable hypothesis. He said would have to talk to his manager and call me back. So far, crickets. Appointment still scheduled tomorrow, but not holding my breath that they will keep it.

My guess is that Rivian, still bleeding red ink, is pressuring their staff to deny warranty coverage whenever possible. Same way that insurance companies deny and delay payment/coverage. The usual tactics hoping the customer/client will give up and eventually they won't have to pay or provide the promised service.

OP
OP

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired physician
Two days after photo and detailed email to customer service about the problem and "no show" mobile appointment from Rivian Service. Crickets so far...

Am sending another email to my Rivian guide, in hopes that someone will send this up the chain to higher management. Not a good look for a Rivian R1T only 6 months old, and problem likely initiated just prior to delivery at the Atlanta service center.

OP
OP

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired physician
Update: After emails to customer support and my guide, I was just called by the Atlanta Service Center and approved for a WARRANTY COVERED repair via mobile service the third week in January. Will see if this appointment sticks!

Sponsored

OP
OP

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired physician
Update: door panel replaced today via mobile service under warranty. Very satisfied!
Rivian R1T R1S Interior peeling 20230117_185154
Rivian R1T R1S Interior peeling 20230117_173724

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Looks exactly like how the interior plastic parts of my multiple c. early 2000s Mercedes SLKs degraded over a (much longer) period of time. You could (can?) buy a textured touch-up paint for those. I really hope we’re not going to have to go down that road with these trucks!

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Bingo….some lotions/sunscreens/etc can do a number on interior finishes. They literally eat the paint/finishes like you are seeing. They will probably goodwill this and do investigation on their end to increase robustness…..well they should, but I guess you will find out.
Thats scary because my kids get sunscreen all over that interior. EDIT: ... if that was part of the cause...
Sponsored

Last edited: