Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, R2 res, Tesla S, 3, X, Y, Cybertruck
Occupation
Upgrading Electric Vehicles
Clubs

This is
Mines also a recent batch and had this exact same thing on the driver side after it got soaked in the rain. I wiped it off, cleaned everything out, and now waiting to see if it was just some surface rust that is cleaned off or if it’s going to keep coming back every time it rains. Not looking forward to uninstalling and replacing them if it does…
This is from some moisture inside the tube. Looks much worse that it really is - we had some where the tube weld has a small gap and this happens. We are happy to swap them out or some have just sealed the tube instead. Pm me and I can help!
Sponsored

screamingkarts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S LE, Jeep Wrangler 4Xe
Clubs

Hi @EV Sportline I started with installing the rockslider for my R1S on the driverside. Facing an issue with a misaligned bolt that is stopping the slider going all the way in. Any idea if I am missing something? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Rivian R1T R1S Introducing RMaxx Running Boards & Rock Sliders for Rivian R1T / R1S from Team 1EV 1000044599
Rivian R1T R1S Introducing RMaxx Running Boards & Rock Sliders for Rivian R1T / R1S from Team 1EV 1000044601
Rivian R1T R1S Introducing RMaxx Running Boards & Rock Sliders for Rivian R1T / R1S from Team 1EV 1000044597

OP
OP
EV Sportline

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Hi @EV Sportline I started with installing the rockslider for my R1S on the driverside. Facing an issue with a misaligned bolt that is stopping the slider going all the way in. Any idea if I am missing something? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

1000044599.jpg
1000044601.jpg
1000044597.jpg
Hi there, looks like it's pushed too far inboard. Loosen the bolts so it's movable, slide it outboard a little bit until all the bolts light up. No bolts should be fully tightened until you get all the bolts lined up and started. PM me if you need more clarity, you're close!
Rivian R1T R1S Introducing RMaxx Running Boards & Rock Sliders for Rivian R1T / R1S from Team 1EV IMG_7826

Foobar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3P, Eva Ribelle
Occupation
IT Exec
EDIT: Cody @ EV Sportline reached out to me almost immediately and it's clear they stand behind the product. Hoping some sealant will fix this once cleaned up.
Cody also reached out to me and explained how this likely happened and how it can be addressed with some RTV sealant. I'm going to go ahead and find some time this weekend to remove the panel to see if I can identify the weld pinhole from which the rust is coming from and see about treating/sealing it properly. If it's significantly worse than a pinhole, I'll reach out to EV Sportline to set up a replacement of the slider.

I'll report back when I have more info. For now, here's the picture of what mine looks like after the weekend's rain:

Rivian R1T R1S Introducing RMaxx Running Boards & Rock Sliders for Rivian R1T / R1S from Team 1EV IMG_7826

OP
OP
EV Sportline

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Cody also reached out to me and explained how this likely happened and how it can be addressed with some RTV sealant. I'm going to go ahead and find some time this weekend to remove the panel to see if I can identify the weld pinhole from which the rust is coming from and see about treating/sealing it properly. If it's significantly worse than a pinhole, I'll reach out to EV Sportline to set up a replacement of the slider.

I'll report back when I have more info. For now, here's the picture of what mine looks like after the weekend's rain:

yes, it looks much worse than it is in reality. That is not a 'rusted' surface you're seeing. That's a stain from rusty water misting over that area. You can wash that rusty water stain right off.

The source of the rusty water is from within the tube. A 'pinhole' in the weld (the tube to frame weld) can cause this.

What happens is when driving, a pressure differential is created from the airflow down the side / bottom of the vehicle, which can draw water into the 'tube' if we have a pinhole in the tube weld. As the pressure differential changes with vehicle speed, that water can draw in/out of the tube, and when it comes back out, the rusty water is vapor / mist...which looks like it does here - looks like you sprayed this area with a mister of rusty water. The part is not rusting where you see the stain here, that's rusty water mist that dried over the coating. And depending on the location of the weld pinhole, the rust water can drain out when the vehicle is stopped.

Normally, a pinhole in a weld would be utterly harmless. But when it's in a position that can allow water in/out of the tube, this is rusty stain thing can happen. If the pinhole is sealed, the issue is solved. The good news is if you never had this rust stain, you're not likely to 'develop' the problem down the road. Either have a pinhole that does this, or you dont.

So....we made changes to how we weld that tube, to further / better prevent any pinholes; we added a clearance to the surrounding bracket so the welder can better see the tube on the tight side, to help ensure the weld process is as good as possible. Since a pinhole is nearly impossible to 'see' during a quality inspection, avoiding altogether is best. I should note, a pinhole can form from pressure building inside the tube during the welding process - if great enough, the heated air can pinhole its way out of a molten weld before it fully solidifies / cools. It is not an uncommon thing in when welding air-tight parts. Often parts have designed holes in them to allow air to vent escape during welding.

Voronbrg

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Everything
Installed mine. Happy with it so far. I would suggest putting some foam between the top pattern and the tubular running board part to prevent metallic tapping sounds when you step on them.

Also if you're trimming the panels with the pattern, you'll also need trim the rib where the large bolt goes.
The front and back trim pieces need new double sided tape. Also add some double sided tape to the middle trim to prevent rattling.
Sponsored