Sponsored

Is Rivian Charging for Charging at Service Centers?

ajbrutman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, GTI
Clubs

Visited the South San Fran service center today to drop off my R1T for some quick tweaks, while there I noticed something that piqued my curiosity. There was a separate parking lot for visitors, only 4 spots, but each spot was equipped with what looked like a Rivian Home Charger. The only difference was it was all white with a tap to pay icon located on the top right corner of the front panel. This made me wonder if Rivian was charging their customers to charge at the service center if they were to just come for a visit or an event. I only snagged one photo but was curious if anyone has experience with this.

Sponsored

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
I think it's just so that SC personal can plug in vehicles and people with EV's everywhere are not stopping by and charging their vehicles.

My R1T has been charged while in service and I wasn't charged.

centexR1S

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE, Tundra, CR-5
Occupation
Retired
Visited the South San Fran service center today to drop off my R1T for some quick tweaks, while there I noticed something that piqued my curiosity. There was a separate parking lot for visitors, only 4 spots, but each spot was equipped with what looked like a Rivian Home Charger. The only difference was it was all white with a tap to pay icon located on the top right corner of the front panel. This made me wonder if Rivian was charging their customers to charge at the service center if they were to just come for a visit or an event. I only snagged one photo but was curious if anyone has experience with this.

I got some small warranty work performed at the Austin SC yesterday and when I arrived to pick up my R1S it was plugged in (adding about 11% SOC). I said “thanks for topping me off”, unplugged and drove away with no charges. Maybe the payment feature is for non-Rivians or Rivians passing through the area not getting work performed. ???

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

I'd guess testing a new iteration of a level 2 that allows payments. Could be used in apartment buildings, condos, or anywhere not wanting to be free power. Tesla has similar commercial applications in the pipe (or maybe implemented now).

Have not been charged at service before and rolled in pretty empty and specifically requested they top it up before I left too so was at 100 on departure. That was 3 months ago when the undefined "Membership" was a thing though.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I'm afraid I can't engage with this thread until someone explains to me why that photo is a one-second video 😅

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
An NFC card icon Doesn’t mean payment, necessarily.

Reactions: VSG

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I'd guess testing a new iteration of a level 2 that allows payments. Could be used in apartment buildings, condos, or anywhere not wanting to be free power. Tesla has similar commercial applications in the pipe (or maybe implemented now).

Have not been charged at service before and rolled in pretty empty and specifically requested they top it up before I left too so was at 100 on departure. That was 3 months ago when the undefined "Membership" was a thing though.
An EV service centre billing for charging is like getting billed for washer fluid with an oil change. Shouldn’t be done.

SciGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T quad, large pack, 20ATs; 2012 Acura TSX
I'm afraid I can't engage with this thread until someone explains to me why that photo is a one-second video 😅
iPhone Live Photo?

SciGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T quad, large pack, 20ATs; 2012 Acura TSX
I was at the SSF SC for a first drive recently and afterwards the guide pulled the car up to one of those chargers and plugged in. He told me it was because I was the last customer of the day. I didn’t see him use NFC card but then again I was only partly paying attention since I was checking out all the other vehicles trying to decide what wheels to order.

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

An EV service centre billing for charging is like getting billed for washer fluid with an oil change. Shouldn’t be done.
Especially when it takes them 3 weeks to say they couldn't replicate the noise the mobile tech heard

Sponsored

Richard_arch74

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, LA silver, OC, 21"
Occupation
Retired architect/builder
I was at the Madison Heights SC today to pick up my R1S and the customer service tech offered to put more complimentary charge on (had already added 14% before I got there). He said they had level 2 and DC charging available. I asked if all sc had level 2 and 3 available. He said he thought so, but not sure on the DC. Then I asked if any Rivian owner could charge at any Rivian sc, if in a pinch finding a charging station, and he said probably. He said give them a call to verify before showing up. The Ft. Wayne (a DC waste land) and Louisville sc could come in handy for me on my drive to Florida from Michigan.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Then I asked if any Rivian owner could charge at any Rivian sc, if in a pinch finding a charging station, and he said probably. He said give them a call to verify before showing up. The Ft. Wayne (a DC waste land) and Louisville sc could come in handy for me on my drive to Florida from Michigan.
Rivian tends to block the DC chargers at MH but the cords are long enough they could hit a car on the curb. Last time I drove through that lot though, the curb was full of cars too. I definitely wouldn't count on them accomodating you. I think the "official policy" is not to allow public charging if it's not connected with a service visit.

Richard_arch74

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, LA silver, OC, 21"
Occupation
Retired architect/builder
Rivian tends to block the DC chargers at MH but the cords are long enough they could hit a car on the curb. Last time I drove through that lot though, the curb was full of cars too. I definitely wouldn't count on them accomodating you. I think the "official policy" is not to allow public charging if it's not connected with a service visit.
Since posting this: I chatted with Rivian and got the response I was expecting: "some SC's have public charging stations and are available, look at plugshare". They aren't going to admit that they have restricted/employee or level 3 stations that are available to us. I may try to call the Ft. Wayne SC (Rivian chat said it isn't open yet, does anybody know who lives around Ft. Wayne?) in the future and see what they say.

Sevn86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Sales
My local service center topped off my vehicle when it was in for service and I wasn’t charged either.