Sponsored

Is Rivian preparing to update trucks to accept 300kw?

j.t.sexton

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I noticed today that the RAN charger in Meadows of Dan, VA is showing a max output of 300kw v. the typical 215kw max it typically show for RAN chargers. Has anyone heard whispers of our vehicles finally getting an update to 300kw? I haven’t heard anything lately about speed bumps for DC fast charging, but I know they are supposed to be eventually maxed out at 300.
Rivian R1T R1S Is Rivian preparing to update trucks to accept 300kw? IMG_0658
Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I'd be very surprised with current gen trucks. I mean they can't even handle 220kW for that long before overheating.

OP
OP
j.t.sexton

j.t.sexton

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I'd be very surprised with current gen trucks. I mean they can't even handle 220kW for that long before overheating.
I still don’t understand how Tesla can pull off 250kw with a smaller battery pack. I guess the battery temperature system isn’t as good. It’s gonna really suck for max pack trucks if they don’t update it.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I still don’t understand how Tesla can pull off 250kw with a smaller battery pack. I guess the battery temperature system isn’t as good. It’s gonna really suck for max pack trucks if they don’t update it.
I'm sure Rivian could go higher than they are now in initial burst rate, but 500A is the current practical limit for CCS1 which the truck can maintain somewhere typically into the 40% range

carsly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR Defender, Tesla Model S
probably just better at monitoring temps within the pack and managing cooling of the entire pack and associated componentry.

Sponsored

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Polestar 2, Miata ND2 RF
I think to a certain degree(lol) tesla pushes their cars a bit harder. but i'm sure their cooling is also great, Rivian does have stacked batteries which probably means the center of the two stacks in the middle is probably the biggest constraint.

OP
OP
j.t.sexton

j.t.sexton

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I'm sure Rivian could go higher than they are now in initial burst rate, but 500A is the current practical limit for CCS1 which the truck can maintain somewhere typically into the 40% range
Did not realize that 500a was the limit for CCS1. So does that mean Rivian will need to move to a 800v architecture in order to achieve the 300kw? Because 400v x 500a is in the 200kw ballpark.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Did not realize that 500a was the limit for CCS1. So does that mean Rivian will need to move to a 800v architecture in order to achieve the 300kw? Because 400v x 500a is in the 200kw ballpark.
The stations are supposed to already be capable of charging at 300kW, but since they aren't open to other brands yet, they are effectively limited to the max the R1 trucks can draw. It could just be why they are displaying 215kW in the app.

Rivian R1T R1S Is Rivian preparing to update trucks to accept 300kw? 1684510451860

500A isn't a hard limit for CCS, but that's the highest "bucket" in the official spec. (But it's always been defined as >=500A)

OP
OP
j.t.sexton

j.t.sexton

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
The stations are supposed to already be capable of charging at 300kW, but since they aren't open to other brands yet, they are effectively limited to the max the R1 trucks can draw. It could just be why they are displaying 215kW in the app.

1684510451860.png

500A isn't a hard limit for CCS, but that's the highest "bucket" in the official spec. (But it's always been defined as >=500A)
that’s what my OP was saying. The app shows 300kw max for that specific RAN charger… the others still show 215kw max. This RAN charger just opened like a week ago.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

that’s what my OP was saying. The app shows 300kw max for that specific RAN charger… the others still show 215kw max. This RAN charger just opened like a week ago.
I remember seeing other screenshots where they didn't have the same 215kW displayed as the station capability but I can't find them right now. I know the cabinets themselves are capable of 750A total but it's shared between two or three stalls. Presumably it might be possible to use every power unit in the cabinet on the same station, but I would be surprised to see it.

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
A few things:
  1. I really hope Rivian can improve the BMS, hardware within the vehicles and/or otherwise to get charging up on the current offering and near future offerings.

2. If they don't do anything to improve the max pack, that's going to make it even less desirable than it currently is (likely lower capacity than expected, very high cost for a small gain).

3. This could be to prep for opening the chargers to other vehicles, which I truly hope they do not do for at least another 12-18 months or more.
    1. These stations are going to get absolutely packed once this happens. They should either A) wait until there are many more stations available or B) build more stations per location to accommodate what will likely be a very high demand in many areas.
Side note from the earnings call:

• RJ mentioned that new technology, along with a new battery pack structural change and cable system is being designed and will be implemented EOY/beginning of next year. Could this be a transition to an 800v system?

• He stated this in terms of cost savings, removing weight and complexity. 800v systems are much lighter and more efficient...

Last edited:

Florida Boy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX300h, Toyota Tacoma
Really nice to hear that and this would also be a future proofing step as they transition to a 800v architecture. For the current generation R1x, I'd be happy if they could improve cooling so it could hold 215kw deeper into the charging curve. That alone would be huge.