Sponsored

Is Rivian preparing to update trucks to accept 300kw?

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
The chargers have always supported up to 300kW, but it's dynamically shared across as many as three stations. Two stations in use means each will get 150kW max. I don't know why the app would show 300kW for one location and 215kW for another - my guess is that the 215kW is shown just to manage expectations from Rivian owners.
Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Unrelated, I've never heard of "Meadows of Dan, VA". Bit of a hike from Northern Virginia, but looks like a beautiful place to visit. Knowing there's RAN chargers there makes it even more of an upsell. Thanks! šŸ˜„
There are open RAN chargers in Roanoke, Meadows of Dan, and Blowing Rock, all near the Blue Ridge Parkway. Excellent area to roadtrip! Should be more stations "s00n" in Front Royal, Waynesboro, and Cherokee (NC).

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
I still donā€™t understand how Tesla can pull off 250kw with a smaller battery pack. I guess the battery temperature system isnā€™t as good. Itā€™s gonna really suck for max pack trucks if they donā€™t update it.
Don't the newer production Teslas have heat pumps? The R1 platform does not. Rivian is said to be working on that in conjunction with 800v.

OP
OP
j.t.sexton

j.t.sexton

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Don't the newer production Teslas have heat pumps? The R1 platform does not. Rivian is said to be working on that in conjunction with 800v.
They do but even the ones with old resistive heating systems can charge at 250kw. I had a 2018 Model 3 and it regularly fast charged at 250kw max.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
My guess is that the mid-cycle refresh of the R1, which is supposed to be out in 2024 with the new tech updates (e.g. zone network architecture), will incorporate updated power tech too. This may include faster charging capability, heat pump, and more.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

heat pumps are just A/C that work in reverse as well. For battery cooling you just use A/C.

mcupp40

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Unrelated, I've never heard of "Meadows of Dan, VA". Bit of a hike from Northern Virginia, but looks like a beautiful place to visit. Knowing there's RAN chargers there makes it even more of an upsell. Thanks! šŸ˜„
There is almost nothing in Meadows of Dan, but it is 10 seconds from the parkway and the surrounding area is beautiful.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Happy Valley has a mix of 215 and 300kW stations. Pretty much a confirmation to me that someone is manually updating these entries and just missed some.
Rivian R1T R1S Is Rivian preparing to update trucks to accept 300kw? HtZIv3bldZIJx_eOtLA5rGSw=w341-h697-s-no?authuser=0

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I'd be very surprised with current gen trucks. I mean they can't even handle 220kW for that long before overheating.
It's gotten a lot better lately from what I've seen with my trucks and what some other folks have reported. Hopefully that's the same with yours.

I still donā€™t understand how Tesla can pull off 250kw with a smaller battery pack. I guess the battery temperature system isnā€™t as good. Itā€™s gonna really suck for max pack trucks if they donā€™t update it.
This is mostly due to the existing/historic CCS limitations in the standard and Tesla only pushes to 250kw for a pretty short period of time basically.

I'm sure Rivian could go higher than they are now in initial burst rate, but 500A is the current practical limit for CCS1 which the truck can maintain somewhere typically into the 40% range
Interestingly the proposed revisions to CCS from last summer of 2021 or 2022 included higher amperage values, and with Rivian being responsible for both the RAN chargers and truck design I wonder if they'll be comfortable exceeding the rated amperage limits of the charger cables (for example) eventually like Tesla does with the SC network.

I think to a certain degree(lol) tesla pushes their cars a bit harder. but i'm sure their cooling is also great, Rivian does have stacked batteries which probably means the center of the two stacks in the middle is probably the biggest constraint.
Tesla definitely does let their packs get a fair amount hotter than Rivian is.
Really nice to hear that and this would also be a future proofing step as they transition to a 800v architecture. For the current generation R1x, I'd be happy if they could improve cooling so it could hold 215kw deeper into the charging curve. That alone would be huge.
I agree.... what isn't clear to me is whether the relatively slow rate of charging above ~50% is actually controlled by the SDI battery cells or if RIvian is being conservative with things on purpose.
The chargers have always supported up to 300kW, but it's dynamically shared across as many as three stations. Two stations in use means each will get 150kW max. I don't know why the app would show 300kW for one location and 215kW for another - my guess is that the 215kW is shown just to manage expectations from Rivian owners.
They seem to have been manually setting it when setting them up like @Dark-Fx noticed below. There have also been chargers setup with 200kw vs 215kw max despite having the same hardware as we know.

Happy Valley has a mix of 215 and 300kW stations. Pretty much a confirmation to me that someone is manually updating these entries and just missed some.
HtZIv3bldZIJx_eOtLA5rGSw=w341-h697-s-no?authuser=0.png

Florida Boy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX300h, Toyota Tacoma
I agree.... what isn't clear to me is whether the relatively slow rate of charging above ~50% is actually controlled by the SDI battery cells or if RIvian is being conservative with things on purpose.
The most prominent theory I've heard put out there about the short 215kw charge level (by @OutofSpecKyle) is that Rivian has some hotspots in their pack that is preventing them for holding that level of charge for longer. They keep making adjustments via software updates and have made some limited progress, but it might be a physical battery pack cooling constraint. If that is true and they can fix that AND shift to 800v, they'll have a killer vehicle in future iterations. For now, it isn't completely horrible and overall it is a great vehicle.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
The most prominent theory I've heard put out there about the short 215kw charge level (by @OutofSpecKyle) is that Rivian has some hotspots in their pack that is preventing them for holding that level of charge for longer. They keep making adjustments via software updates and have made some limited progress, but it might be a physical battery pack cooling constraint. If that is true and they can fix that AND shift to 800v, they'll have a killer vehicle in future iterations. For now, it isn't completely horrible and overall it is a great vehicle.
Yeah, I think Kyle's truck has some problems personally. He and I have chatted a bit, and I had an opportunity to do some charges after the podcast he had and my truck was performing better than his. Other folks have also described that recently as well. My truck also kicked on the cooling earlier than Kyle's did in the video and then eventually turned it off before getting to about 42% and starting to ramp down. For example, my truck held 500A from 10% through where it normally starts stepping down at about 40 to 45%, whereas Kyle's ramped down a bit earlier as I'm sure you saw. He also noted from his conversation with Rivian that they think the cooling system and the pack design is "solid." They seemingly were just choosing to collect data and kick the cooling compressor on at after hitting the max tolerable pack temp rather than preemptively.

Florida Boy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX300h, Toyota Tacoma
Yeah, I think Kyle's truck has some problems personally. He and I have chatted a bit, and I had an opportunity to do some charges after the podcast he had and my truck was performing better than his. Other folks have also described that recently as well. My truck also kicked on the cooling earlier than Kyle's did in the video and then eventually turned it off before getting to about 42% and starting to ramp down. For example, my truck held 500A from 10% through where it normally starts stepping down at about 40 to 45%, whereas Kyle's ramped down a bit earlier as I'm sure you saw. He also noted from his conversation with Rivian that they think the cooling system and the pack design is "solid." They seemingly were just choosing to collect data and kick the cooling compressor on at after hitting the max tolerable pack temp rather than preemptively.
Super interesting! Thanks for that extra info!

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

It's gotten a lot better lately from what I've seen with my trucks and what some other folks have reported. Hopefully that's the same with yours.
I don't have any issues with how fast my truck charges, would I like faster absolutely but recently I've gotten near what Rivian advertises (140 miles in 20 min)

I got 134 miles/63 kWh in 23 min at RAN in Madras and 158 miles/77 kWh in 27 min in Coos Bay last weekend.
Also 131 miles/63 kWh in 23 min at Madras the weekend before. Can't recall starting/ending charges at all of those but surely went to at least 70% so in ideal conditions 140 miles in 20min is certainly possible.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
heat pumps are just A/C that work in reverse as well. For battery cooling you just use A/C.
Which brings up the question- would there be two seperate heatpump systems? Imagine a cold day charging. Battery being cooled but cabin needs heat. I know there are more advanced HP systems that multi zones can have heating or cooling at same time but they aren't common yet unless on the larger commercial side. What does Tesla do? Capture the heat waste?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Which brings up the question- would there be two seperate heatpump systems? Imagine a cold day charging. Battery being cooled but cabin needs heat. I know there are more advanced HP systems that multi zones can have heating or cooling at same time but they aren't common yet unless on the larger commercial side. What does Tesla do? Capture the heat waste?
GM's system will take heat out of the battery for the cabin. Even a cold battery if you aren't charging.
Sponsored