Sponsored

Issue with door not opening

cleex024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model x
I go out to my truck to go to work, unlock my car, get in and close the door....however while the door closes and latches it says that the door isnt fully closed. so i open and close the door 3 times for it to finally say its closed...then I start driving and I stop at wawa and when I try to get out the door wont open.

i was pretty sure these were manual door handles...if not then it should be with 2 pulls however it didnt open no matter what I did. I even rolled down my windows to open it from the outside and that didnt even work. I turned off the truck then back on and nothing worked, but other doors did open just fine.

anyway I call customer service and they told me to try to do a hard reset and I told them i would be asked if these are manual doors and he couldnt answer lol. either way I did a hard reset and now everything works fine...im just a little concerned in case of an emergency how I would open the door if the electronics dont work.

has anyone else have this issue? also is there a manual emergency latch?
Sponsored

TheIglu

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT
The doors are manual, but cable actuated.

My drivers door inside handle had a bit of resistance to it compared to the other doors. Called service and they sent a tech out. He found the cable housing was broken, but didn't have a spare with him. Epoxied it temporarily.

External handle worked fine. Interior handle didn't work once I tried to get out after driving. Then the exterior stopped working too. So the interior handle is the master, and the exterior handle is the secondary.

Now I have to get in/out via the passenger door. Not ideal, and no idea when they will come fix it, or how they will even get it apart if they can't get the door open to remove the interior panel....

OP
OP

cleex024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model x
The doors are manual, but cable actuated.

My drivers door inside handle had a bit of resistance to it compared to the other doors. Called service and they sent a tech out. He found the cable housing was broken, but didn't have a spare with him. Epoxied it temporarily.

External handle worked fine. Interior handle didn't work once I tried to get out after driving. Then the exterior stopped working too. So the interior handle is the master, and the exterior handle is the secondary.

Now I have to get in/out via the passenger door. Not ideal, and no idea when they will come fix it, or how they will even get it apart if they can't get the door open to remove the interior panel....
wow that is ridiculous that it doesnt get fixed asap...i hope mine doesnt come to that point but again mine actually worked immediately after a hard reset so not sure why that is if the handles are manual.

EBEG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2016 Pilot, 2019 Jetta
I had the same issue with the front passenger door a few days after the software update. My daughter was in the seat when we got home after running a few errands with no issues. She had to slide over to the driver's seat because it wouldn't open from the inside or the outside. It resolved overnight on its own, but it was very strange.

I was surprised there was no obvious manual override since it seems like a safety issue.

The same night, the charging failed. I did a reset and everything seems fine now. The perils of a software dependent vehicle, I suppose.

MXA121

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model 3
Dang. Interior pull not working. Outside does. Great ..

Sponsored

prestapost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RAM 1500, 2022 Rivian R1T
Mine would freeze in sub 20° temperatures. It would act similar to what you were describing… but once it wouldn’t open, it wouldn’t open from either the inside or the outside.

After some back and forth (and advice to pound on the door handle, etc) they replaced the door mechanism on the drivers door, and I haven’t had the problem since.

Randy Chase

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3, Lotus Elise, Mazda CX-9, 125cc kart
Occupation
Product designer, El Jefe
Searched the forum to see if anyone else had this issue. My passenger side door has intermittently not unlocked. Put the car in park, the passenger front door does not unlock and I have to manually open it from the inside. Perhaps it can be fixed with a hard reset, but it seems something is mechanically off even when shutting the passenger door now, the latching mechanism seems to catch and not close smoothly like the other doors.

waitingonanr1s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 QM R1S
Had this problem with my driver side door tonight - would not open from the outside (all other handles presented, driver did not, and would not open manually from outside). I got in the back and leaned forward to open from inside.

I cycled the locks once, and everything was back to normal. Hopefully this is not an indication of continuing problems to come with that door.
Sponsored