photographer, real estate agent

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
Glad to see Magneto v2.0 is now all-electric and not that hybrid drivetrain they were originally trying out. That said, 70kWh is probably not going to cut it for the those who want to take it off-road and do real Jeep stuff with it. Hopefully they can find a way to squeeze some more juice in there.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Wasn't the Magento 1.0 also a BEV? I thought Jeep's only Wrangler hybrid was the 4xE?

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
The first Magneto concept also had the 4XE labeling on it. I think Magneto 2.0 does as well. They started pitching it as a BEV even though it still had a gas burning generator in the mid/rear and batteries up front, only had something like a 37kWh battery pack.

I think Magneto was intended to be 100% electric from the start, just the first prototype version was not built that way. Not that it matters as they're just prototypes. The one that goes on sale in the next year or so will be full BEV - as the 2.0 concept is now. I know I commented on the 70kWh pack... Not sure I care what size it is, only that it can go 275+ miles in real world driving. 330+ would be much better, especially for off-road adventurers.

cardad

First Name
Kelvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/S, Bronco Raptor, Wrangler4xe, Ioniq5, Winbago
Occupation
insurance agent
The first Magneto concept also had the 4XE labeling on it. I think Magneto 2.0 does as well. They started pitching it as a BEV even though it still had a gas burning generator in the mid/rear and batteries up front, only had something like a 37kWh battery pack.

I think Magneto was intended to be 100% electric from the start, just the first prototype version was not built that way. Not that it matters as they're just prototypes. The one that goes on sale in the next year or so will be full BEV - as the 2.0 concept is now. I know I commented on the 70kWh pack... Not sure I care what size it is, only that it can go 275+ miles in real world driving. 330+ would be much better, especially for off-road adventurers.
The math doesn’t work for what you expect. If it’s 70 kwh and optimistically getting 1.5 miles/kwh then you’re at 105 miles best case scenario. If you want 275 miles then you need a 183 kwh pack or realistically 193 kwh with a 5% buffer. So just imagine what the market looks like for a $120k Jeep…

I have several 4xe and they are pragmatic off road vehicles. Over about 124 miles on a recent mixed terrain drive we managed 49 miles on one charge due to a large amount of slower speed descending.

Large packs on inefficient vehicles begin to see diminishing returns as you then need higher cost suspension and other structural components to compensate for the additional weight and for the average driver carrying around all that energy/weight is meaningless. It’s highly unlikely that these concepts will see mass market appeal or adoption until battery costs come down in a radical fashion as the basic engineering and cost aspects don’t add up.

Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Article mentions Jeep will be selling an EV SUV, not an electric Wrangler. I can’t imagine 70kwh battery would get a Wrangler much more than 100 miles.

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
I would like to see that 0-60 demonstrated. How much hp does the model S plaid have (and not huge mud tires and 1 ton axles). The charging station companies better get moving and get some built in Moab!

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

0-60 in 2 seconds and 200-hundredths of a second.