First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Train conductor
I just want to share with everyone the issues with juice box load sharing. I originally had a Juice Box 40 that I bought when I owned a Chevy Volt. The box was of good quality. Equipment was housed in a solid metal enclosure. It was manufactured in the USA. Tech support was U.S. based and pretty knowledgable on how to fix issues.
I upgraded my Volt to a Bolt and purchased a Rivian R1S for my wife. I was going to need two chargers to take advantage of low overnight charge rates. I would need timed charging to automatically turn on at 11pm. I had no room for a second 50 amp breaker in my panel.
Enel X spent time with me on the phone explaining how load sharing works. They emailed me diagrams for the electrician to refer to when wiring up the 2nd box. I purchased a new Juice Box 40.
When the new box arrived I noticed it was now made of plastic and it was no longer made in the USA. When I called tech support I noticed I was no longer speaking with people based in the USA.
When I went with load sharing I noticed the the timed charging would not initiate. I was going out in the AM to dead batteries. I tried multiple times to get it to work. It also would not let me override the charging on the app. I turned off timed charging and set it up on the vehicles charging screens. It still would not work. It would not work whether I was looking to charge 2 cars or just 1 car.
Enel X was of no help. They tried blaming my electrician, my cars, my phone. After they exhausted their blame list they stopped taking my calls and chats entirely. At that point, I tried to remove load sharing and the single working box charged perfectly on demand and on timer. Something with load sharing is causing the software not to work correctly
This is what Enel X has become.
Additionally, the J1772 handle started sparking when plugging in. It created a fault code on my Bolt which needed to go to the dealer for to get taken care of. (3 days with no car)/. When I opened up the handle I saw the black wire was not properly crimped into the plug which created a short. Enel X would not take responsibility for this meaning I am on the hook for a $179 handle/cord replacement.
This product is not a good choice anymore
Anyone else have charge issues with load sharing?
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

My Rivians both have issues picking up that it's allowed to charge after ToU kicks in if they've gone to sleep. It isn't consistent. I imagine the load sharing might introduce additional issues.

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Same here with the Enel X and Rivian will not assist with helping. Vehicle will fault before ToU kicks in and sometimes won't start to charge.

OP
OP

Jccoryell

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Train conductor
Same here with the Enel X and Rivian will not assist with helping. Vehicle will fault before ToU kicks in and sometimes won't start to charge.
I just want to share with everyone the issues with juice box load sharing. I originally had a Juice Box 40 that I bought when I owned a Chevy Volt. The box was of good quality. Equipment was housed in a solid metal enclosure. It was manufactured in the USA. Tech support was U.S. based and pretty knowledgable on how to fix issues.
I upgraded my Volt to a Bolt and purchased a Rivian R1S for my wife. I was going to need two chargers to take advantage of low overnight charge rates. I would need timed charging to automatically turn on at 11pm. I had no room for a second 50 amp breaker in my panel.
Enel X spent time with me on the phone explaining how load sharing works. They emailed me diagrams for the electrician to refer to when wiring up the 2nd box. I purchased a new Juice Box 40.
When the new box arrived I noticed it was now made of plastic and it was no longer made in the USA. When I called tech support I noticed I was no longer speaking with people based in the USA.
When I went with load sharing I noticed the the timed charging would not initiate. I was going out in the AM to dead batteries. I tried multiple times to get it to work. It also would not let me override the charging on the app. I turned off timed charging and set it up on the vehicles charging screens. It still would not work. It would not work whether I was looking to charge 2 cars or just 1 car.
Enel X was of no help. They tried blaming my electrician, my cars, my phone. After they exhausted their blame list they stopped taking my calls and chats entirely. At that point, I tried to remove load sharing and the single working box charged perfectly on demand and on timer. Something with load sharing is causing the software not to work correctly
This is what Enel X has become.
Additionally, the J1772 handle started sparking when plugging in. It created a fault code on my Bolt which needed to go to the dealer for to get taken care of. (3 days with no car)/. When I opened up the handle I saw the black wire was not properly crimped into the plug which created a short. Enel X would not take responsibility for this meaning I am on the hook for a $179 handle/cord replacement.
This product is not a good choice anymore
Anyone else have charge issues with load sharing?
Just a follow up: enel x told me that the old box and new box cannot communicate with each other for load sharing. The boxes must be of the same model and version. I did specifically ask this before purchase and was told both boxes will work with each other. I asked for a refund of costs of 2nd box and electrician costs since I was ill advised. Enel X has now ghosted me. They will not take my calls. To sum up this company, they downgraded their build quality, moved production and tech support overseas and don't service their customers.

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
Honestly I wouldn’t have expected an old Juicebox to load balance at all. Things can be missed or misunderstood when talking on the phone. Refer to manuals when trying to do complicated things like load sharing. If the manuals don’t provide instructions then it is safe to assume it can’t be done.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jccoryell

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Train conductor
I specifically called Enel X and asked. They asked for my model and serial number. That is adequate due diligence

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
<rant>

I researched and bought 2 Juicebox EVSEs approx 3 years ago, from Amazon, which I later learned was after they were sold to EnelX. They were cheap and reviewed well, and I figured it’s really hard to screw up something this simple.

They are hot garbage. Both perceive a ground fault, which I’m quite positive does not exist, and as a result will occasionally shut down in the middle of a charging cycle. In the middle of the night. Before a road trip.

One of them is falling apart at the charging cord attachment to the box.

Oh, and one of them tried to light my garage on fire once. But I’m blaming the NEMA 14-50 for that one … for now.

It’s entirely likely that I bought NOS from Amazon (or a knockoff … never can really tell), so of course YMMV.

I hate that company now and will never buy another product from them.

</rant>
Sponsored