Sponsored

Let's take a moment to appreciate how well-thought-out the R1T and R1S are going to be

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Doug DeMuro just released a modern review of the 2008 Tesla Roadster. It's an interesting look at what a "version 1.0" EV was from a new EV company... And specifically an EV company that has "made-it". I'm surprised at just how incomplete and hacked-together the Roadster really was. The hand-pump for the seat lumbar had me rolling on the floor in stitches, for example.

It really makes me appreciate how well-thought-out the Rivian products seem to be -- and how much better our experience is likely to be compared to Tesla early adopters.

Sponsored

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
Doug DeMuro just released a modern review of the 2008 Tesla Roadster. It's an interesting look at what a "version 1.0" EV was from a new EV company... And specifically an EV company that has "made-it". I'm surprised at just how incomplete and hacked-together the Roadster really was. The hand-pump for the seat lumbar had me rolling on the floor in stitches, for example.

It really makes me appreciate how well-thought-out the Rivian products seem to be -- and how much better our experience is likely to be compared to Tesla early adopters.

Well, to be fair, Rivian has its clunky past as Mainstream/Avera, so their 1.0 iteration was similarly unimpressive.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/avera-motors

OP
OP

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
If pre-Rivian Rivian could have released a model commercially they likely would have. The decade of misfires that preceded the current offerings was certainly a learning curve but I doubt that a 12-year ramp-up was part of the plan in 2009.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

So some things like that seat pump are Lotus I own an Elise and even have the roadster dask kit in my elise. a lot of the items in the roadster are just slightly altered Lotus parts or the actual lotus parts. This I feel will be alot different than Tesla's roadster. I knew someone that worked at Telsa and his comment about it was it would be a better car if you ripped out all the tesla stuff and put the 1.8 back in it.

Sponsored

weathermission

First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.weathermission.com
Vehicles
2019 Ford Edge
I was fortunate to get the chance to met RJ at their deposit holders private showing in Manhattan in early 2020. Spoke with him briefly and eavesdropped on a few of his conversations with others.

The thing that impressed me so much about that was how a guy in his mid-late 20s had the courage to start an auto company, convince others to join him (many much older than he), and stay humble and quiet for a decade while planning and testing their ideas.

All the while, the planet's most well-known EV entrepreneur was producing and selling beta cars for what he admitted was way over-price, and blowing up twitter like an 80's shock jock. But even RJ has always been quick to praise Tesla and the path forward that they cleared through years of hard work.

RJ Scaringe is now ~37 and the products they are about to deliver are ~12 years in the making. And for the horse-power, torque and technology they are packing I would argue they are underpriced compared to the truck and luxury SUV market.

The vitriol and frustration I sometimes see in the forums here is unjustified.

Reed

First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Toyota Tacoma, March/24 Reservation for R2
Occupation
Retired
As I've stated in other posts here, I tend to alternate days between hopping on the bandwagon and off the bandwagon. Yesterday, with no news, was an off day.

Today, after thinking through my realistic alternatives, is a back on the bandwagon day. One of the things that attracts me to Rivian is the potential quality and well-thought out engineering.

For example, the use of aluminum. For winter driving around these parts - yes please! I haven't figured out exactly how much of the structure is aluminum. But, I am highly interested in seeing where it is being used.

After dealing with rust in most of the vehicles I have owned, I would really love to drive something that isn't a red splotched, paint peeling mess over top of the wheel wells.

To repair/replace the rusting body panels in the vehicle I'm driving would cost about $8-10,000. If a Rivian vehicle can avoid this fate, then the long term economics of owning it, despite the high initial cost, might work out okay.

It's this kind of well-thought out detail that very much keeps pulling me back to Rivian. It's like I'm on a balance beam with my penny pinching Scottish roots on one end and this really nice truck that ticks all the boxes on the other end.

Once I see one for real, I don't think there's going to be much doubt which way the beam tilts.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

And for the horse-power, torque and technology they are packing I would argue they are underpriced compared to the truck and luxury SUV market.
Remembering the Rivian we saw at the L.A. Auto Show years ago, I decided to check the features and pricing for an R1S then tried to build a Defender with specs as close as possible. With some differences (mild hybrid I6 with WAY less power, opening panoramic roof which I wanted to avoid, and a HUD which I really like) the Defender was over $2,000 more than an R1S Adventure.

My first thought was, “Of course Land Rover, as an established manufacturer with a known reputation can charge more…” and then I thought of the teething problems with the new Defender and realized something: Land Rover sells everything they make in spite of the quality issues they have at times. They will not change what they’re doing because it’s working fine from their perspective.

I assume Rivian should have a huge incentive to make things right if they want to survive. So I put a deposit on an R1S.
Sponsored