Sponsored

Lightning Owner with R1S on order

First Name
MM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Howdy. First post here. I have been driving a Lightning Lariat for 7 months and 7,000 miles, and I absolutely love it.

That said, I am thinking about trading to an R1S. I have an "old pricing" R1S scheduled for delivery Q1 2024. Quad motor, minimal add-ons, $77,000. I do not qualify for a tax rebate.

The main reason to trade from Lightning to R1S would be range. With the extended range battery on the Lightning, I still can only go about 200 miles at 75 on the open road. So what can I expect from the R1S? Please answer in real-world mi/kWH numbers on the open road--with zero traffic breaking the wind for you. If you travel on a busy interstate, your mi/kWH might be 20% higher than what I get. Tell me the worst you have gotten because that will be me, driving home against a 20mph headwind.

The other factor is of course the R1S's battery and motor configuration. Can I change battery/motor configurations and still get the early pricing?

I need to get about 250 miles between home and destination in order to consider the trade worthwhile.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Joe schmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S
Howdy. First post here. I have been driving a Lightning Lariat for 7 months and 7,000 miles, and I absolutely love it.

That said, I am thinking about trading to an R1S. I have an "old pricing" R1S scheduled for delivery Q1 2024. Quad motor, minimal add-ons, $77,000. I do not qualify for a tax rebate.

The main reason to trade from Lightning to R1S would be range. With the extended range battery on the Lightning, I still can only go about 200 miles at 75 on the open road. So what can I expect from the R1S? Please answer in real-world mi/kWH numbers on the open road--with zero traffic breaking the wind for you. If you travel on a busy interstate, your mi/kWH might be 20% higher than what I get. Tell me the worst you have gotten because that will be me, driving home against a 20mph headwind.

The other factor is of course the R1S's battery and motor configuration. Can I change battery/motor configurations and still get the early pricing?

I need to get about 250 miles between home and destination in order to consider the trade worthwhile.

Thanks in advance.
I have an R1S on 20" AT wheels (the lowest range of any wheel/tire combo)

The longest leg I've made is 258 miles, with a moderate load and against a 10-15 mph headwind. There was not a lot of terrain, but some rolling hills (Memphis to just south of Birmingham, AL on the I-22 corridor). I arrived with about 10% charge.

Because of the winds, I stayed at 68-70 for most of the trip, and the last 10-15 miles was in very heavy stop and go traffic. Temps were in the low 60s, and the battery was basically brand new so no degredation.

I think on 21s that 200 miles on the highway is very doable, although there may be edge cases (high winds, range, very cold) where you'll have to stop somewhere.

One thing to consider is the recent Ford/Tesla agreement to open up superchargers--In most of the country this completely eliminates range anxiety for the Lightning. That 258 mile gap was necessary because there are no other options on the route faster than 60kw between EA chargers. Also, the EA station at the south end of the route has had both of the "350kw" cabinets non-functional since at least March (they are still down as I write this three months later) and the EA station in Memphis has been completeley dead, with zero functioning chargers, since Memorial Day, weeks ago.

Right now, that route isn't possible for a Rivian or any other non-Tesla EV without hours on a slow charger.

There are three superchargers in or adjacent to Memphis, and you're never more than about 40 miles from one at any point on that route in a Tesla.

janesbenth1

First Name
Benth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
car
Occupation
marketer
I have an R1S on 20" AT wheels (the lowest range of any wheel/tire combo)

The longest leg I've made is 258 miles, with a moderate load and against a 10-15 mph headwind. There was not a lot of terrain, but some rolling hills (Memphis to just south of Birmingham, AL on the I-22 corridor). I arrived with about 10% charge.

Because of the winds, I stayed at 68-70 for most of the trip, and the last 10-15 miles was in very heavy stop and go traffic. Temps were in the low 60s, and the battery was basically brand new so no degredation.

I think on 21s that 200 miles on the highway is very doable, although there may be edge cases (high winds, range, very cold) where you'll have to stop somewhere.

One thing to consider is the recent Ford/Tesla agreement to open up superchargers--In most of the country this completely eliminates range anxiety for the Lightning. That 258 mile gap was necessary because there are no other options on the route faster than 60kw between EA chargers. Also, the EA station at the south end of the route has had both of the "350kw" cabinets non-functional since at least March (they are still down as I write this three months later) and the EA station in Memphis has been completeley dead, with zero functioning chargers, since Memorial Day, weeks ago.

Right now, that route isn't possible for a Rivian or any other non-Tesla EV without hours on a slow charger.
wordle
There are three superchargers in or adjacent to Memphis, and you're never more than about 40 miles from one at any point on that route in a Tesla.
Thank you so much. Your comment provided me with an abundance of knowledge, helping me to expand my horizons.

JJE

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LG, Chevy Bolt
I have an R1S which came with 20 ATs. I switched out the ATs for all seasons about six months in.

I live in the DC area so there is no situation in which I drive without traffic.

That said, on long distance road trips to NYC and back on the ATs, in winter (such as it is down here - 40s), in windy conditions averaging 65 mph, I got about 320 mile range on the ATs in Conserve mode

After I switched to AS tires I have been consistently getting 350 mile range in the spring/summer (no AC running) in normal mode.

The key in my experience is using Drive+ when possible and keeping speeds moderate (65-70).

Sponsored

JJE

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LG, Chevy Bolt
This time from right screen. I was behind trucks and traffic so it may not be instructive for you.

Rivian R1T R1S Lightning Owner with R1S on order 20230124_130402

Rivian R1T R1S Lightning Owner with R1S on order 20230124_122138

Rivian R1T R1S Lightning Owner with R1S on order 20230124_103852

Rivian R1T R1S Lightning Owner with R1S on order 20230124_083553

OP
OP
First Name
MM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
This time from right screen. I was behind trucks and traffic so it may not be instructive for you.

20230124_130402.jpg

20230124_122138.jpg

20230124_103852.jpg

20230124_083553.jpg
Thank you. Very helpful. I doubt that I would get above 1.8 at 75 without traffic.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I have heard from more than one lightning owner who has said the real range stinks. Unlike the lightning Rivian has not exaggerated the range numbers. I have the 21's which are the best range tires and I get easy 300 at freeway speeds. I have driven a good distance on the freeway and it's always been pretty consistent.

Granted I have a T not an S but I'm not sure that makes too much of a difference range wise. Especially if you're using conserve mode to maximize range you will get over 300 even at 75.

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I do not qualify for a tax rebate.
Just to note that if you signed the RIvian non-refundable purchase contract last August, you do qualify for the tax rebate as long as you have enough tax liability (there is no income cap and no price cap). You claim it using an amendment to last year's taxes.

Also, fwiw, we have same delivery window but everything I am seeing suggests to me that this may arrive as soon as next month. We have Nov 21 order date and are seeing lots of folks in the Jun-Aug 2021 order window getting vehicles.

OP
OP
First Name
MM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Just to note that if you signed the RIvian non-refundable purchase contract last August, you do qualify for the tax rebate as long as you have enough tax liability (there is no income cap and no price cap). You claim it using an amendment to last year's taxes.

Also, fwiw, we have same delivery window but everything I am seeing suggests to me that this may arrive as soon as next month. We have Nov 21 order date and are seeing lots of folks in the Jun-Aug 2021 order window getting vehicles.
That would be nice but my CPA says otherwise. Something about needing a VIN by the end of 2022 to make it valid.

Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
MM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I have heard from more than one lightning owner who has said the real range stinks. Unlike the lightning Rivian has not exaggerated the range numbers. I have the 21's which are the best range tires and I get easy 300 at freeway speeds. I have driven a good distance on the freeway and it's always been pretty consistent.

Granted I have a T not an S but I'm not sure that makes too much of a difference range wise. Especially if you're using conserve mode to maximize range you will get over 300 even at 75.
Overall my trip odometer says 2.1 the past 4000 miles. I drive it pretty hard. Love the acceleration and I spend a lot of time above 70 when I'm on the highway.

OP
OP
First Name
MM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning

I appreciate the responses about overall range, but there are so many variables that play into that, like what charge did you start at and what charge did you finish at and were those highway miles etc. Miles per kilowatt hour is something we can all compare a little more easily.

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
That would be nice but my CPA says otherwise. Something about needing a VIN by the end of 2022 to make it valid.
You need a new CPA lol. IRS updated guidance on this. As soon as my VIN is in I will file with it for 2022 (currently on an extension hoping to get the VINS before Oct). There are lots of threads on this and obviously your call, but most folks in our situation on the various Fisker and Lucid forums as well as here are claiming for 2022 under the transition rule. 100% of Fisker Oceans are delivering this year and even next. Lots of precedent.

Reactions: VSG
OP
OP
First Name
MM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
You need a new CPA lol. IRS updated guidance on this. As soon as my VIN is in I will file with it for 2022 (currently on an extension hoping to get the VINS before Oct). There are lots of threads on this and obviously your call, but most folks in our situation on the various Fisker and Lucid forums as well as here are claiming for 2022 under the transition rule. 100% of Fisker Oceans are delivering this year and even next. Lots of precedent.
I'm always up for an education. Thanks. Still cruising the forum and trying to decide on my next car. At this point I'm thinking seriously about a Grenadier!
Sponsored