Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I think I'd be paranoid the trailer would act up in some way the whole time if it had it's own powertrain and no direct control from the tow vehicle.

twieland

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T - Limestone, Ocean Coast, 21's
Occupation
Tech
This is a really cool concept. We attended a rally hosted by these folks last fall https://www.allelectricfamily.com/ with a focus on towing RV's with EV's, and Lightship RV was at the event and was great to talk with them about their vision for towing efficiency.

I'm not sure if they will be attending the event again this year, but we are registered and planning to attend. Here is a link to the event (Charged Rally) for anyone that might be interested!
https://www.allelectricfamily.com/chargedrally

We are scheduled for delivery of our R1T this Friday, and will be towing our 20' Airstream Basecamp with the R1T soon!

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I just donā€™t get the costs of this sort of thing for the perceived benefit. I really dislike hotels myself, but you can stay in extremely nice places for a decent amount of time for the 125k this thing costs.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
It's REALLY cool but $125-$150K for camping makes it a really expensive camping experience. You better REALLY like camping to be getting one of these.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Can I get some blinds in there so the entire campground doesn't think a tattooed sasquatch broke into my trailer when I'm changing my shirt??

It's like living in a postmodern glass cube house.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Can I get some blinds in there so the entire campground doesn't think a tattooed sasquatch broke into my trailer when I'm changing my shirt??

It's like living in a postmodern glass cube house.
Rivian R1T R1S Lightship Electric RV Trailer: travel trailer with solar panels and a self-propulsion system 1678294038529

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
Interesting concept and glad to see someone is thinking outside the RV box. Now ya have to think about charging both the truck and trailer when on the road (I sure hope that thing has a super long cord).

Living out here in CA where even the new roads have potholes, I'd also be worried with all that exposed glass only a couple feet off the ground while towing. That's a lot of rock chip potential.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Iā€™d be more interested in a camper conversion of the Rivian/Amazon delivery truck.
I'm right there with you. I'd throw my money down today if they made a max pack van with AWD.

Sponsored

rhumbliner

First Name
thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T & Model X
Occupation
Retired
I just donā€™t get the costs of this sort of thing for the perceived benefit. I really dislike hotels myself, but you can stay in extremely nice places for a decent amount of time for the 125k this thing costs.
We held that opinion for a very long time and then Covid came along. Since we are in the high risk group we didnā€™t want to risk staying in a hotel (back then we didnā€™t understand how it spread) so we opted for a travel trailer to continue our travels. I agree itā€™s not for everyone, but weā€™ve come to appreciate some of the benefits of RV travel.

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Yeah, but in this it was just you and the wife getting frisky, and not at a hotel where 2 slugs were rolling around in that same room the night before...and every other night before that. Hotels are nasty....regardless of price point. but.....i still stay in them occasionally.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Yeah, but in this it was just you and the wife getting frisky, and not at a hotel where 2 slugs were rolling around in that same room the night before...and every other night before that. Hotels are nasty....regardless of price point. but.....i still stay in them occasionally.
Youā€™re not wrong there and itā€™s why I take my electrostatic disinfection gun with me when I stay at a hotel.