Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
All of that is true, but shouldn’t the buyer of the vehicle decide whether it’s a risk they want to take? If you or I decide that 8 hour drive to a SC is worth the risk, then we should be able to make the purchase.
Yes, EXCEPT when the company *cough* RIVIAN *cough* change the deal AFTER they've received the money.

I accepted delivery with the assertion that Rivian would come to me for mobile service whenever it was feasible to address a concern. And if mobile couldn't handle it, they would give me a loaner and transport the vehicle back to a SC (at their expensive) to address warranty issues.

A few months into ownership and I had NEVER been allowed a mobile service visit. They claim that the SC must look at EVERY issue. Mobile is a myth, as far as I'm concerned. And they have refused to cover any transport costs or offer loaners, going forward -- even for warranty issues, and even when it's a repeat warranty issue that Rivian has failed to address on the last 3 visits.

I agree that the buyer should be able to make a choice, but I do NOT think that Rivian should be able to materially change the offering after the purchase.
Sponsored

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
Yeah, that would be nice. Unfortunately, Rivian refuses to share pretty much any information with anyone.
Of course they do. They're young and paranoid about intellectual property, like all tech companies. Ideally right to repair legistlation will get passed and these tech companies (Rivian and Tesla are tech companies before auto companies) will have their hand forced. Yeah...like that will ever happen.

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Yes, EXCEPT when the company *cough* RIVIAN *cough* change the deal AFTER they've received the money.

I accepted delivery with the assertion that Rivian would come to me for mobile service whenever it was feasible to address a concern. And if mobile couldn't handle it, they would give me a loaner and transport the vehicle back to a SC (at their expensive) to address warranty issues.

A few months into ownership and I had NEVER been allowed a mobile service visit. They claim that the SC must look at EVERY issue. Mobile is a myth, as far as I'm concerned. And they have refused to cover any transport costs or offer loaners, going forward -- even for warranty issues, and even when it's a repeat warranty issue that Rivian has failed to address on the last 3 visits.

I agree that the buyer should be able to make a choice, but I do NOT think that Rivian should be able to materially change the offering after the purchase.
Funny, I had the exact opposite experience. I had a few issues that needed to be dealt with and scheduled an appointment with the Portland OR Service Center. To my surprise, they reached out to me and scheduled a mobile appointment at my convenience (I'm on the Oregon coast, about two hours from downtown Portland).

The mobile service tech showed up on time, and was very thoughtful and pleasant. He fixed all of my issues and then answered all of my questions. I couldn't be happier.

Last edited:

PeterSK

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 FG/FE R1S, 2020 Model Y
Occupation
Retired / board director
Clubs

I think the key issue with dealers is that they see Tesla and Rivian's direct sales models as the foot in the door to their destruction, and they're going to fight tooth and nail to block them.

Right now they are protected from competition from the manufacturers they are affiliated with - and they deserve such protection. The OEMs got to where they are today with the help of the dealers who invested in the sales and service operations, allowing the OEMs to focus their capital and attention on design and manufacturing. It would be completely unfair for an OEM, once able to, to bypass its dealers. And recognizing this, nearly every state has laws blocking manufacturers from going around their franchised dealers.

The problem is that the dealers now try to misapply this law to new manufacturers who never entered into franchise agreements. And they're afraid not only of domestic EV startups but of new automaker entrants from China, India, Vietnam etc. - who at this point would likely be EVs only anyway.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out, because at some point the Teslas, Rivians, etc., along with new foreign entrants selling direct, will likely put such pressure on the traditional OEMs that they will be forced to try to break or renegotiate dealership agreements. And some OEMs are likely to fail to make the transition to EVs, so their dealership franchisees will be stranded and shut down. Most dealers have multiple brand franchises which will protect them somewhat, but I expect we will see space opening up on "automile" strips across the country.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

I posted something similar on Facebook. Got a few responses that "dealerships can be good". When asked why, the only legitimate response seemed to be "so that a person can sit in the car and tell if the seats are comfortable before buying it". #shrug 🤷

Sponsored

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
I think the dealer model is either struggling anyway or they see the writing on the wall. I had a recall on my Hyundai I scheduled the appointments with three different dealers because I always have bad luck with them.

First dealer didn’t have the part and it would take them a week to get it in.

second was the same. No part. I would have to sign a paper that I would for sure bring my car back to them they would order it.

Third has the part in stock, but their EV mechanic wasn’t in that day. They still scheduled me for that day even though the model name of the car has electric in it!!!

Hyundai Ioniq Electric

I can’t tell you how many times they tried to put in an oil change during factory maintenance timeframe. I guess they didn’t like getting less money for EV maintenance vs ICE. 🤦‍♂️

maybe this is all due to EV transition but wow.

i finally traded it in without the recall being done.

HarisonAltDelete

First Name
Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Dealerships belong with elevator and telephone operators. They served a purpose but that time has long since past. They provide zero benefit to the buying experience, I would counter they are costing consumers money. When I bought my BMW I4, the only thing the dealer did was push my order through the queue. I had that experience with Rivian but didn't have to pay the dealer markup/profit on top. If the world was just now starting with cars, manufactures would sell direct and dealers would be service shops.
Used cars. Would you be willing to spend 20-100k on a used car sight unseen at an auction across the country and be stuck with whatever problems show up, because most of America doesn't. Without a strong secondary market depreciation will kill everyone

OP
OP
Jac

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Last edited:

zer0t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan 4S, 23 Model S Plaid, 20 Model Y P
Occupation
Retired
NJ has franchise protection laws and at one point forced tesla to stop selling. When Christie was governor he signed a bill allowing direct sales for tesla and other manufacturers.

Ford would like to go direct for EVs to match that model. They are going to make the EV sales requirements for dealers onerous to get many to opt out, so they hope.
Sponsored