Sponsored

Low speed 'Tocking' when stopping or starting

Low speed drivetrain 'tock' when starting out or stopping? Would you contact service?

• Total voters

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I'm not sure if I consider this a problem, but I'm looking for feedback about how many people are experiencing a similar behavior before I put in a service request.

At slow speeds, especially when set to high regen, my truck is making a 'tocking' sound when starting out or coming to a stop. I'm thinking there is a bit of slop in one or more of the motors, the half shaft, and/or the axel. I can make it sing the song of its people by basically rocking the truck back and forth using the accelerator.

I recall @OutofSpecKyle mentioning it in one of his videos and being fairly dismissive of it, but I'm uncertain if that is because the truck was a short-term loaner. It really doesn't bother me, honestly.

So, what say you - are you experiencing something similar? Would you start a repair order on it? Please vote in the poll and share your thoughts.
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I have the same thing. The sound Kyle had on video was A LOT louder than mine. I have been on the fence about mentioning it as well, but have been noodling over the cause before mentioning it. I suspect it's how it is supposed to be, and I wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't seen the same thing in Kyle' video and if the truck wasn't so smooth otherwise. If it were an ICE with a transmission I wouldn't have given it a second though. I am heading in to the SC next Friday to get my spare added, so I may ask them then.

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I found where he mentioned / demonstrated it:

22:27 of the attached video if it doesn't start there. Mine is also not as bad as what is in the video, and I haven't experienced it during spirited driving.

I am heading in to the SC next Friday to get my spare added, so I may ask them then.
Please let us know what they say.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Notice it mainly when backing up and getting off and on accelerator, but it made this type of noise on both my original delivery and on the loaner currently. Pretty sure it’s normal operation.

fallen888

First Name
Kon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, El Cap/black, power tonneau, 21"
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I found where he mentioned / demonstrated it:

If it's the thumps in the video, no I've never experienced that (in my 2½ weeks of ownership). Doesn't sound normal. I'd contact service and have them check it out.. if for no other reason than a peace of mind.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model-Y, VW GTI, Holden Commodore (Chevy SS)
Occupation
Engineer, Business Owner, Sales Guy
I have this sound in my rig. As you move from a stop there is a very slight tick/sound of the half shaft joints taking up some play (not worried about that, sounds normal). Then if I hit the accelerator to take off there is a louder “TICK” or “CLICK” at about 20MPH. As I slow down I hear it as the re-gen is at it’s max, also around 30-20MPH.

It feels like it could be something shifting or moving under the heavy momentum. Once you are moving about 30MPH it’s hard to hear it over the road noise. But it could also be something doing what it’s supposed to like the real brake‘s clicking on/off or the pads moving a bit as they drag on the rotors. Who knows….

AltaTruck

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda RX8, R1T, Alta EXR (road) , Alta EXR (woods)
Occupation
Retired Science teacher
I have the same sound, but it sounds like it is just the nature of the beast - something to get used to.

Akay07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache
At least you have a truck and yours didn't die after 350 miles. But I dont remember anything out of the ordinary during those 5 days. I just remember on the 1st drive, the acceleration was very inconsistent and almost shuddering . He said it was new motors....?

AltaTruck

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Science teacher
At least you have a truck and yours didn't die after 350 miles. But I dont remember anything out of the ordinary during those 5 days. I just remember on the 1st drive, the acceleration was very inconsistent and almost shuddering . He said it was new motors....?
I do now, but it had to be shipped back from Pgh to Detroit at about 200mi. They replaced a faulty rear drive unit and burned up compressor. Hopefully we will get all the early bugs out quickly.

Akay07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache
I do now, but it had to be shipped back from Pgh to Detroit at about 200mi. They replaced a faulty rear drive unit and burned up compressor. Hopefully we will get all the early bugs out quickly.
When we're the symptoms of your rear drive unit failing? How long did it take?

Sponsored

AltaTruck

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Science teacher
Within the first 200 mi. There was a lot of fluid loss. They picked it up within two days and had it back within a week. Every one I spoke with was super helpful. I have a passenger seat recall now but I am going to wait to see if anything else pops up to get it done all at once. I miss the truck when I don't have it.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

All my EVs have it, it's normal. Hummer was the loudest, and that's probably why they obligate artificial motor noise.

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
So I put in a request for it. I'm still not sure if it means anything, but I figured better safe than sorry.

I'll post back here with any details as they develop.

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
I have the same thing and have had it since day one. I assume that's what everyone refers to as the "tocking" and is normal. Kyle from Out Spec talked about it on his first reviews of the Rivian..
Sponsored