Sponsored

Lte, gps, wifi are offline, and hard reset doesn’t work.

Flyingscot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Pharma stuff
I did post about this maybe two weeks back, in the wrong part of the forum. Was curious if anyone else has experienced. Have searched but couldn’t find any one mentioning. I have a ticket in, but the truck stopped communicating with rivian Aug 9th. Hard reset will not complete, just times out.
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I have had data stop working a few times. Service told me to toggle Bluetooth off, wait 30 seconds, then turn it on (via center screen). I was skeptical, since my issue was with LTE -- not bluetooth -- but it has fixed it, each time.

OP
OP
Flyingscot

Flyingscot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Pharma stuff
I have had data stop working a few times. Service told me to toggle Bluetooth off, wait 30 seconds, then turn it on (via center screen). I was skeptical, since my issue was with LTE -- not bluetooth -- but it has fixed it, each time.
No joy…. but thank you for the idea.

diranged

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
@Flyingscot,
It sounds like you have the (ok, "my") dreaded "TCM" issue. My vehicle (VIN ~2400) had this issue several times, and ultimately it required Rivian replacing the "TCM" unit. Here's what I know:

The "TCM" (also referred to as a TCU) is the "transmission (not like a normal car) control module". It contains the LTE, WiFi and GPS bits that the car uses to talk to the world. This unit is mounted behind the rear seats in the R1T, and is programmed by the factory specifically for your vehicle. Some number of the early vehicles have had problems with these units where they fairly randomly (but repeatedly) lose LTE/WiFi/GPS. The car continues to work otherwise -- bluetooth is fine, FM radio is fine, and all the other normal driving characteristics are fine.

The short-term fix is to have Rivian come out and do a hard-reset - where they physically disconnect the 12V power to the car and do a full reset. I had this done 3 times over ~2 months, and it _mostly_ worked for a few weeks at a time (once it broke again ~3 days later). This is a short-term fix though and almost never solves the problem permanently.

The permanent fix is to have the factory build you a new TCM, program it in the factory, and mail it out. Then the unit is replaced in your vehicle. My understanding is that this process is getting much better. Early owners were relegated to their car being in the shop for 3-4 weeks for the process .... but my experience was better. Here's what I did:

First, Rivian has to "scan" your vehicle (has to be in-person) to gather information for the factory about how to program your TCM. I ultimately got Rivian to do this via a mobile service appointment - in fact, they were doing this during a mobile service appointment where they did the 12V reset as well. They then take this information back to the office and ship it off to the Factory to request a new TCM unit.

Next, a few weeks later your TCM arrives and you bring it in for a replacement. This is a pretty simple process - but involves removing the rear seat of the car. It turns out that some of the factory bolts have too much loctite on them, and there's a 50/50 chance of one of the bolts breaking off (bingo, my car hit this problem). So replacing the TCM goes from a one-day job to a several day job because they send your car off to a local body shop to have the broken bolt removed.

When your rear seat bolt is all properly fixed up, they replace the TCM, re-program the car (literally going back to like the original software version from January 2022, and then upgrade the car version by version all the way to the latest software). This process took the tech's about a full day in my case..

--- Thoughts post-fix ---

I went through this whole process over the course of a few months, and got my car back about a month ago. While it was a frustrating process, Rivian was amazing about trying to make my life better during it. At one point they gave me an R1T loaner for ~3 weeks, letting me put over 3000 miles on it. I know they're still a new car company, and I understand that these things are going to happen to some of us. As long as Rivian treats the customers well during the process, I am fine with it.

OP
OP
Flyingscot

Flyingscot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Pharma stuff
@Flyingscot,
It sounds like you have the (ok, "my") dreaded "TCM" issue. My vehicle (VIN ~2400) had this issue several times, and ultimately it required Rivian replacing the "TCM" unit. Here's what I know:

The "TCM" (also referred to as a TCU) is the "transmission (not like a normal car) control module". It contains the LTE, WiFi and GPS bits that the car uses to talk to the world. This unit is mounted behind the rear seats in the R1T, and is programmed by the factory specifically for your vehicle. Some number of the early vehicles have had problems with these units where they fairly randomly (but repeatedly) lose LTE/WiFi/GPS. The car continues to work otherwise -- bluetooth is fine, FM radio is fine, and all the other normal driving characteristics are fine.

The short-term fix is to have Rivian come out and do a hard-reset - where they physically disconnect the 12V power to the car and do a full reset. I had this done 3 times over ~2 months, and it _mostly_ worked for a few weeks at a time (once it broke again ~3 days later). This is a short-term fix though and almost never solves the problem permanently.

The permanent fix is to have the factory build you a new TCM, program it in the factory, and mail it out. Then the unit is replaced in your vehicle. My understanding is that this process is getting much better. Early owners were relegated to their car being in the shop for 3-4 weeks for the process .... but my experience was better. Here's what I did:

First, Rivian has to "scan" your vehicle (has to be in-person) to gather information for the factory about how to program your TCM. I ultimately got Rivian to do this via a mobile service appointment - in fact, they were doing this during a mobile service appointment where they did the 12V reset as well. They then take this information back to the office and ship it off to the Factory to request a new TCM unit.

Next, a few weeks later your TCM arrives and you bring it in for a replacement. This is a pretty simple process - but involves removing the rear seat of the car. It turns out that some of the factory bolts have too much loctite on them, and there's a 50/50 chance of one of the bolts breaking off (bingo, my car hit this problem). So replacing the TCM goes from a one-day job to a several day job because they send your car off to a local body shop to have the broken bolt removed.

When your rear seat bolt is all properly fixed up, they replace the TCM, re-program the car (literally going back to like the original software version from January 2022, and then upgrade the car version by version all the way to the latest software). This process took the tech's about a full day in my case..

--- Thoughts post-fix ---

I went through this whole process over the course of a few months, and got my car back about a month ago. While it was a frustrating process, Rivian was amazing about trying to make my life better during it. At one point they gave me an R1T loaner for ~3 weeks, letting me put over 3000 miles on it. I know they're still a new car company, and I understand that these things are going to happen to some of us. As long as Rivian treats the customers well during the process, I am fine with it.
Thank you for for the detailed write up super helpful. My issues are verbatim what you describe. I am 2447 so not too far behind yours. I know what to expect now so I feel a bit better. Just the waiting game now….

Sponsored

diranged

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Thank you for for the detailed write up super helpful. My issues are verbatim what you describe. I am 2447 so not too far behind yours. I know what to expect now so I feel a bit better. Just the waiting game now….
Yup, mine came off the line probably a few hours before yours apparently! :) When you talk to Rivian about it, push hard that you need a 12V hard-reset right away, and that you want the TCM data "gathered" (scanned, whatever they wanna call it) so that if they determine the TCM needs replacement, they have all of the data to do it.

I found that the South San Francisco service center was under the impression they had to remove the back-seat to scan the TCM .. while the mobile-tech I got from the Sacramento Service Center was able to get the data by plugging into the OBD port. So there's either some knowledge gaps, or they are very actively evolving the process.

OP
OP
Flyingscot

Flyingscot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Pharma stuff
Yup, mine came off the line probably a few hours before yours apparently! :) When you talk to Rivian about it, push hard that you need a 12V hard-reset right away, and that you want the TCM data "gathered" (scanned, whatever they wanna call it) so that if they determine the TCM needs replacement, they have all of the data to do it.

I found that the South San Francisco service center was under the impression they had to remove the back-seat to scan the TCM .. while the mobile-tech I got from the Sacramento Service Center was able to get the data by plugging into the OBD port. So there's either some knowledge gaps, or they are very actively evolving the process.
Will do thanks again. Super helpful.

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
Well, shit. This is happening to me—and my VIN is 40XX. Rivian service was really nice on the phone, but did not appear to have heard of this.

I can't believe it's going to require that much time to fix it.

@Flyingscot Did you have to go through all of that for the repair, too, or was it easier?

This is really frustrating for me, because our other car (a piece-of-crap 2015 Tesla Model S) just had the trunk closer fail for a second time, which makes the car much less driveable (disables all security & driver assistance features, makes it much harder to lock [you have to manually lock it from the screen], and, of course, disables practical access to the trunk). Of course, it's a relatively simple fix, except they decided to arbitrarily push my service date back to November, after letting me schedule it for Monday (October 3rd). I still haven't heard why from them.

So right now I have two vehicles I cannot easily take on long trips.

OP
OP
Flyingscot

Flyingscot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Pharma stuff
Yeah it took a while. I lost connectivity Aug 6. Truck came back from Brooklyn SC Sep 23. It was there for a week. It looks like they disconnected the 12v battery. I did explain the TCU fix from this post but it wasn’t done. Hoping it doesn’t happen again….

Sponsored

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I'm still waiting on a service plan for this—and fairly concerned with the information coming out about towing, since I'm 300 miles from the nearest service center.

The good news is, Tesla apparently just made a mistake (not sure how or what happened), but they reverted to my original service date, and swapped out the trunk latch again. So at least I have one vehicle that's fully functioning.

I have high hopes they'll either send a mobile tech or not charge me to get this to the factory, because it's a lot harder to safely drive the vehicle that far (and, let's be honest, absurd to expect an almost new vehicle to be driven 5 hours each way for a repair that might take several days).

zpowell

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, GMC Yukon
Occupation
Pilot
I'm also in the same boat with the exact same issue. Mine failed 3 days after delivery (9/26/22). Can't perform a hard reset and the service advisor I had on the phone hadn't seen that issue before. The soft reset works fine, but doesn't fix the problem. I had an appointment set up for 10/19, but frustrated I would have to wait nearly 3 weeks when I've had my Rivian 3 days. The were able to schedule a mobile service visit for this Monday 10/10. Thank you for the write up diranged! Amazing the TCM is as complicated as it is. My VIN is 118XX. It seems this isn't necessarily an "early" serial issue.

I'm curious as to why the hard reset process fails. It would be nice if there was a manual 12V quick disconnect.

OP
OP
Flyingscot

Flyingscot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Pharma stuff
I am only 100 miles from Brooklyn SC but easily 2 1/2 drive. The flatbed pickup and drop off were pretty seamless tbh. It’s just being without the truck for a while that is annoying 😭 ….. a little worried it happening with later vins too….

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Got service scheduled for October 25th. They wouldn't try remote service for the comm module issue, so I'm assuming they are planning on replacing the module rather than just doing a 12V reboot.

This also gives them a chance to fix a couple other smaller issues I've been holding off on.

Taco Corp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

I think I might be having the same problem. Drove to the store yesterday and all was normal. Came out to go home and no GPS, no cellular, no WiFi. Otherwise seems fine but the hard reboots are failing as described in this thread so I'm waiting on a call back from the support team today to see what next steps will be.

The Bellevue SC apparently has no appointments until March, which definitely will not work, I need this fixed so hoping there's a better option.

Just glad this didn't happen somewhere I actually may have needed connectivity, I don't use the built in maps or music other than for triggering battery pre-conditioning if I'm driving to a charger but if someone was relying on the maps or needed the SOS service this is a pretty big problem.
Sponsored