Sponsored

Lubed tonneaus - is yours still working?

Lubed tonneaus - is yours still working?

• Total voters

boardthatpowder

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi Q5
Had mine >6 months. Never lubed. Use the tonneau quite a bit. Never had an issue.
Sponsored

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
I have had the truck 6 months. Started dry lube the last 2 months, and I am doing it roughly once a month. I open the cover maybe 6 to 10 times a month. I do always check for debris to make sure it's clear before opening.

rivrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (White w/ ocean coast 20" AT)
Occupation
Engineer
Just got mine delivered today with powered cover. It's disabled in open position. They are going to recall all the vehicles with the new design once it's ready.

NooterIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
was a 2019 Ram
Occupation
IT Stuff
I lubed day one and each time I washed it, all but I think two of the panels are now sitting on my garage shelfā€¦. But, I did make my own cover that slides into the rails for now. Canā€™t wait for 2.0.

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
I never lubed it up, it was working pretty well for 3 months. After hearing all the horror stories, I decided to lube it using the recommended WD-40 Dry Lube (I got the right stuff).

It almost immediately sounded much worse. Ended up getting messed up not long after that. I had to send it in for other things, and they fixed it for me. Supposedly it works completely, but I refuse to close it again as of now, since I'd rather have an open, usable bed than a covered one. (I'm 300 miles from my nearest service centerā€”unless Nashville openedā€”so I can't just drive it to a service center to get it fixed.)

Fingers crossed they come out with the improved version quickly next year so I can start using it again.

Sponsored

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
Just got mine delivered today with powered cover. It's disabled in open position. They are going to recall all the vehicles with the new design once it's ready.
Iā€™m assuming it will be a product update at most and not actually a ā€œrecallā€. This is definitely not a safety issue.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I dry lubed mine a lot but it broke anyways.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I use mine a few times a week, occasionally a lot more on certain trips. It broke on my first day after delivery in May, has worked ever since being repaired that weekend. Dry lubed one or two times over that period.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

How specifically are people lubing them up? With the tonneau open and spraying the rails? With the tonneau closed and climbing inside to spray in front where it goes inside the compartment?

I bought the lube, but haven't used it yet. Not sure of the best way to apply it?

Sponsored

OP
OP
JoulesVerne

JoulesVerne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LE, 2022 Ioniq 5 SEL
How specifically are people lubing them up? With the tonneau open and spraying the rails? With the tonneau closed and climbing inside to spray in front where it goes inside the compartment?

I bought the lube, but haven't used it yet. Not sure of the best way to apply it?
I used Fluid Film and sprayed the rails with the tonneau open.

I started from the cab end and stopped about a foot from the tailgate as the tonneau would distribute the lubricant to this part of the rails while closing, minimizing excess.

I tried not to over apply it as it would attract dirt.

Based on the big improvement in motor strain noise, I figured that was enough. About a month ago I lubed it again (cleaning the rails of the old lube beforehand) when the tonneau stopped closing on its own.

Last edited:

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I used Fluid Film and sprayed the rails with the tonneau open.

I started from the cab end and stopped about a foot from the tailgate as the tonneau would distribute the lubricant to this part of the rails while closing, minimizing excess.

I tried not to over apply it as it would attract dirt.

Based on the big improvement in motor strain noise, I figured that was enough. About a month ago I lubed it again when the tonneau stopped closing on its own.
Thank you

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
If you lubed your tonneau before it broke, is it still working?

Please only respond to the poll if you lubed your tonneau rails (with wet or dry lube) before it broke.

I have had my R1T for about 8 months, lubed the tonneau twice, and it's still working as expected. Curious to know how others are faring.
Same. Mine is currently working. The one time it malfunctioned and locked up I was able to get it back closed. I recalibrated it and started the routine dry lube and it's been fine.

Voronbrg

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Everything
I lube mine weekly. but I also open daily. If I dont lube them, I noticed the motor appears to hit a "current limit" when getting close to closed and bounce back open halfway. It then forgets the close limit and never fully closes until I lube and calibrate the cover.

Flabirder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model S P100DL
I lube the rails monthly with Dupont Non-stick Dry Film Lubricant with Teflon and use the cover nearly daily.
Sponsored