Sponsored

Master Thread: Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV)

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
But are those also shipping from the same Atlanta location to
The heavier (124lbs vs 76lbs for 1EV running boards) Weistec rock sliders are $169.47 to ship to the same address. I dont need rock sliders and they're more expensive. I was just comparing the shipping costs.
The heavier (124lbs vs 76lbs for 1EV running boards) Weistec rock sliders are $169.47 to ship to the same address. I dont need rock sliders and they're more expensive. I was just comparing the shipping costs.
But are those also shipping from Atlanta to your address?
Sponsored

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D, Ford F350 Diesel, Mercedes GLC30
Occupation
CTO
But are those also shipping from the same Atlanta location to

But are those also shipping from Atlanta to your address?
Im in MA, so if anything EVSportline is closer unless Weistec has depots stocking the Rivian rock sliders somewhere other than their HQ in California.

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CTO
I got my @EV Sportline running boards today and installed them. Only 1 finger damaged and that was just during the unpacking and I cut it on the many staples in the boxes. The boards are well packed.

They came with 2 bits, the Torx Plus TP55 which worked, the other was supposed to be a T20 Torx but it didnt fit the screw heads that attach the plate to the running board but I had something that worked.

The instructions are decent, only confusion was they point to a video which no longer mentions the circular cut approach (and it being the preferred method) as they did before, yet the next video (templating) covers the round hole approach.

I was slightly off on the middle hole of the first side (picture below) but not enough to be a problem. I trimmed it a bit with my knife. I did tape up the holes afterwards but didn't do nearly as clean a job as others did. The whole thing including washing the truck, sweeping the garage, cleaning up etc took 6 hours. I'm nowhere near handy at this sort of thing. If I can do it anyone can.

Some learnings:
  1. My impact wrench is a DeWalt 20v. I had to use an adapter to a socket to get the TP55 attached. The adapter snapped after the second bolt. Would have been nice to have that the whole time but wasnt the end of the world but my arms were sore by the end as everything was manual.
  2. On the first bolt, I tried to loosen the wrong way (doh!), double check your directions. I slightly stripped it but not enough for it to matter. Still got it retorqued to 80 ft/lbs
  3. I did this all solo, you can hang the boards on the holes closest to the truck one end at a time. I'm not big or super strong and this wasnt a problem. Made the install easier.
  4. I didn't have a torque wrench for the smaller items like the plate top screws (8 ft/lbs supposedly) or the bolts for the running board (35 ft/lbs supposedly). I just had the torque wrench for the frame bolts using that TP55 bit. I had purchased the torque wrench (my first) just for the frame bolts. Dont know about others but I dont have all these 1/2" sizes, torque wrenches and adapters hanging around. I spent $100 on tools based on the instructions when I ordered the boards and they got me through.
  5. Even if I had a torque wrench for the running board bolts, the angle there against the plastic underneath doesnt lend itself well to big tools.
  6. There's measuring on 2 points on each side with a tape measure. It wasn't hard and i'm terrible at it, so that was a relief
  7. Once you mark the drill spot, I took the 4" hole saw head off and drilled the hole and then put it back on and used the hole to find the mark. With a pin prick there's no way I would have hit the same spot with the lack of visibility etc otherwise
  8. The plastic from drilling all those holes gets everywhere, be careful
  9. Good light, ground cover, and patience are all needed.
  10. I taped the holes good enough for me. That tape is super sticky and seems like it will hold up. I just didn't want 8 gaping holes collecting crud even if it was ok for the truck.
  11. Very happy with the quality of the product and it made a huge difference for my wife being able to get in and out so it 100% met the needs.
  12. Anyone close to them and can take advantage of their $199 install. DO IT.

Now some pics.

Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) IMG_1405.JPG
Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) IMG_1406.JPG
Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) IMG_1407.JPG
Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) IMG_1409.JPG
Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) IMG_1410.JPG
Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) IMG_1411.JPG
Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) IMG_1412.JPG
Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) IMG_1413.JPG
Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) IMG_1414.JPG
Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) IMG_1415.JPG
Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) IMG_1416.JPG
Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) IMG_1418.JPG

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, R2 res, Tesla S, 3, X, Y, Cybertruck
Occupation
Upgrading Electric Vehicles
Clubs

I got my @EV Sportline running boards today and installed them. Only 1 finger damaged and that was just during the unpacking and I cut it on the many staples in the boxes. The boards are well packed.

They came with 2 bits, the Torx Plus TP55 which worked, the other was supposed to be a T20 Torx but it didnt fit the screw heads that attach the plate to the running board but I had something that worked.

The instructions are decent, only confusion was they point to a video which no longer mentions the circular cut approach (and it being the preferred method) as they did before, yet the next video (templating) covers the round hole approach.

I was slightly off on the middle hole of the first side (picture below) but not enough to be a problem. I trimmed it a bit with my knife. I did tape up the holes afterwards but didn't do nearly as clean a job as others did. The whole thing including washing the truck, sweeping the garage, cleaning up etc took 6 hours. I'm nowhere near handy at this sort of thing. If I can do it anyone can.

Some learnings:
  1. My impact wrench is a DeWalt 20v. I had to use an adapter to a socket to get the TP55 attached. The adapter snapped after the second bolt. Would have been nice to have that the whole time but wasnt the end of the world but my arms were sore by the end as everything was manual.
  2. On the first bolt, I tried to loosen the wrong way (doh!), double check your directions. I slightly stripped it but not enough for it to matter. Still got it retorqued to 80 ft/lbs
  3. I did this all solo, you can hang the boards on the holes closest to the truck one end at a time. I'm not big or super strong and this wasnt a problem. Made the install easier.
  4. I didn't have a torque wrench for the smaller items like the plate top screws (8 ft/lbs supposedly) or the bolts for the running board (35 ft/lbs supposedly). I just had the torque wrench for the frame bolts using that TP55 bit. I had purchased the torque wrench (my first) just for the frame bolts. Dont know about others but I dont have all these 1/2" sizes, torque wrenches and adapters hanging around. I spent $100 on tools based on the instructions when I ordered the boards and they got me through.
  5. Even if I had a torque wrench for the running board bolts, the angle there against the plastic underneath doesnt lend itself well to big tools.
  6. There's measuring on 2 points on each side with a tape measure. It wasn't hard and i'm terrible at it, so that was a relief
  7. Once you mark the drill spot, I took the 4" hole saw head off and drilled the hole and then put it back on and used the hole to find the mark. With a pin prick there's no way I would have hit the same spot with the lack of visibility etc otherwise
  8. The plastic from drilling all those holes gets everywhere, be careful
  9. Good light, ground cover, and patience are all needed.
  10. I taped the holes good enough for me. That tape is super sticky and seems like it will hold up. I just didn't want 8 gaping holes collecting crud even if it was ok for the truck.
  11. Very happy with the quality of the product and it made a huge difference for my wife being able to get in and out so it 100% met the needs.
  12. Anyone close to them and can take advantage of their $199 install. DO IT.

Now some pics.

IMG_1405.JPG
IMG_1406.JPG
IMG_1407.JPG
IMG_1409.JPG
IMG_1410.JPG
IMG_1411.JPG
IMG_1412.JPG
IMG_1413.JPG
IMG_1414.JPG
IMG_1415.JPG
IMG_1416.JPG
IMG_1418.JPG
Great review and thanks for sharing!

(TP20 is for removing the plastic panels, you don't use that TP20 if drilling 4" holes)

Sponsored

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
@the_mace, good write up. I've been doing this sort of stuff for 30+ years but it still took a good bit of time. One thing I noticed before drilling the big 4" is that some of my plastic panels were not aligned the same way, left side vs. right side so I spent another 30 minutes rechecking and correcting to avoid misalignment later.

I might have the same Dewalt, it's a half inch drive. Those TP55 bolts are really in there, you definitely need all your adapters to be rated for impact!

Good advice about drilling the center holes first before plunging in with the 4" saw. This also makes the hole cut smother because you are not fighting the center pilot bit as it tries to pull inward.

The tape is messy. I wanted to do this differently, but in the end, it came out fine. I haven't looked down there since...

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CTO
@the_mace, good write up. I've been doing this sort of stuff for 30+ years but it still took a good bit of time. One thing I noticed before drilling the big 4" is that some of my plastic panels were not aligned the same way, left side vs. right side so I spent another 30 minutes rechecking and correcting to avoid misalignment later.

I might have the same Dewalt, it's a half inch drive. Those TP55 bolts are really in there, you definitely need all your adapters to be rated for impact!

Good advice about drilling the center holes first before plunging in with the 4" saw. This also makes the hole cut smother because you are not fighting the center pilot bit as it tries to pull inward.

The tape is messy. I wanted to do this differently, but in the end, it came out fine. I haven't looked down there since...
The Dewalt definitely isn't half inch. Not sure what it is. But I was only using it after using the breaker bar to loosen the bolts and the adapter still broke. I'll have to look into it. Never used the impact wrench before, came in a kit. None of this is my world. Give me a keyboard and i'm dangerous. Give my tools and i'm bleeding quickly.

swflor

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 R1T, 23 R1S, 23 RR LWB, 21 Yukon XL
Occupation
Executive
Clubs

The Dewalt definitely isn't half inch. Not sure what it is. But I was only using it after using the breaker bar to loosen the bolts and the adapter still broke. I'll have to look into it. Never used the impact wrench before, came in a kit. None of this is my world. Give me a keyboard and i'm dangerous. Give my tools and i'm bleeding quickly.
I’m not sure how to share my post, but instead of tape, I used 4” grommets and it turned out great!

the thread name is

1EV R1T Running Boards Installed

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CTO
I’m not sure how to share my post, but instead of tape, I used 4” grommets and it turned out great!

the thread name is

1EV R1T Running Boards Installed
I did see the grommet approach. At this point I dont think that tape is coming off for anything and i'm unlikely to look down there again. For me good enough. If the tape doesnt hold up (i'd be surprised) i'll maybe look at another way.

Sponsored

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CTO
So if you don't tape it, how far does crud go under the plastic panels? Is gorilla tape the only way?
Not sure but it’s bound to collect. Figured some tape (even if poorly done) should help

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
I did see the grommet approach. At this point I dont think that tape is coming off for anything and i'm unlikely to look down there again. For me good enough. If the tape doesnt hold up (i'd be surprised) i'll maybe look at another way.
Gorilla Seal for the win!

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Thank you guys for the great posts on the running board installs. Our boards are on order, and will hopefully arrive soon. SuEllyn's only disappointment with the R1T so far is the having to hop up to get in and having to jump down to get out. We have a Silverado 2500 with running boards, so we know this fix will work.

Brian

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CTO
Yup, my wife is 5' and she was getting in there but not easily and was driving something else as it was easier. This was huge for her. She's off at a horse show now with it.

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CTO
One more thing I noticed last night. I have the boards extended for max foot space but I noticed that the puddle light gets clipped by the running boards. Not the end of the world but wondering if it’s not clipped if they’re pushed in. I don’t want to test by loosening 16 bolts so if anyone already checked this please let me know. I haven’t seen this mentioned anywhere.

Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) IMG_1421
Sponsored