Sponsored

Master Thread: Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV)

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
I checked the second source as well. No transportation yellow !!
Wow.... that sold out quick as well. The first supplier decided not to restock it. Did the second source decide the same?

Re my second set from the second supplier - if you are in (or can come to) the Renton/Maple Valley/Covington WA area, and want to buy my second set of Transportation Yellow, DM me.
Sponsored

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D, Ford F350 Diesel, Mercedes GLC30
Occupation
CTO
Just the top plate screws. Easy-peasy.
Remove them completely or just loosen? And both front (away from truck) and back (close to truck)?

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Wow.... that sold out quick as well. The first supplier decided not to restock it. Did the second source decide the same?

Re my second set from the second supplier - if you are in (or can come to) the Renton/Maple Valley/Covington WA area, and want to buy my second set of Transportation Yellow, DM me.
I'll take it if you willing to ship? I'm in texas !
I"m wondering about white since my R1s is white.

Thanks

Sponsored

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Thanks, why did you switch off the yellow?
I took the plates off for other reasons and decided to switch it up for the summer. As mentioned, I have three welt colors to play with.

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I'll take it if you willing to ship? I'm in texas !
I"m wondering about white since my R1s is white.

Thanks
Sorry, don’t want the hassle of shipping and collecting money electronically, etc. local only, or I’ll just keep it for a spare.

JohnK

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Rivian R1T
Occupation
None
Running boards installed today. Took 4 hrs, from unpacking to assembly to final mounting. Also another hour or so yesterday to clean the underbody panels and mark the 4" hole locations.

A few tips and lessons:
  1. Clean the underbody panels before you do anything else. I used a pressure washer on the underbody, which turned out to be easier and more effective than the brush and soapy liquid I started with.
  2. I taped the templates to the underbody to mark the 4" hole locations (see photos). Then I drilled 1/4" pilot holes thru the templates, and cut the 4" holes right thru the templates. This made it easier to start the pilot bit on the hole saw in the precise location.
  3. Wear safety glasses when cutting the holes - black plastic from the body panels flies all over the place.
  4. No problems getting the big frame bolts off using an 18" breaker bar.
  5. I did the install solo, which was pretty easy until time for mounting the running boards to the brackets. You can't really mount the boards without them being level to the ground, so starting on one end or the other was problematic. You could probably find a way to hold up the (35 lb) board and start with the center bracket, but that seemed too clumsy. I used a small cooler to support one end while starting the bolts at the other end. Worked great - see photo.
Very happy with the results. Quality product, well thought out and engineered. They look great and are the perfects steps for getting in and out of the truck.

Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) IMG_3143

Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) IMG_3150

Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) IMG_3148

Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) IMG_3149

Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) IMG_3151

Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) IMG_3152

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Running boards installed today. Took 4 hrs, from unpacking to assembly to final mounting. Also another hour or so yesterday to clean the underbody panels and mark the 4" hole locations.

A few tips and lessons:
  1. Clean the underbody panels before you do anything else. I used a pressure washer on the underbody, which turned out to be easier and more effective than the brush and soapy liquid I started with.
  2. I taped the templates to the underbody to mark the 4" hole locations (see photos). Then I drilled 1/4" pilot holes thru the templates, and cut the 4" holes right thru the templates. This made it easier to start the pilot bit on the hole saw in the precise location.
  3. Wear safety glasses when cutting the holes - black plastic from the body panels flies all over the place.
  4. No problems getting the big frame bolts off using an 18" breaker bar.
  5. I did the install solo, which was pretty easy until time for mounting the running boards to the brackets. You can't really mount the boards without them being level to the ground, so starting on one end or the other was problematic. You could probably find a way to hold up the (35 lb) board and start with the center bracket, but that seemed too clumsy. I used a small cooler to support one end while starting the bolts at the other end. Worked great - see photo.
Very happy with the results. Quality product, well thought out and engineered. They look great and are the perfects steps for getting in and out of the truck.

IMG_3143.jpeg

IMG_3150.jpeg

IMG_3148.jpeg

IMG_3149.jpeg

IMG_3151.jpeg

IMG_3152.jpeg
Yeap. Did it yesterday and need a second hand for installing the board on to the bracket . Took total of 2 hours on my R1S. Only 6 holes to be made​

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Finally installed it yesterday

IMG_1891.jpeg

IMG_1892.jpeg

How was install? I did holes on one side and the R1S template seems off for the center hole (I think its like 20.5 or so instead of 20. Still have access to the screw just slightly off

Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) 1684976133207

Sponsored

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
How was install? I did holes on one side and the R1S template seems off for the center hole (I think its like 20.5 or so instead of 20. Still have access to the screw just slightly off

1684976133207.png
The one I did was not that much off. Did you use the downloaded template with the panels not removed? I measure it very carefully from all sides and taped it up before making the holes

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

The one I did was not that much off. Did you use the downloaded template with the panels not removed? I measure it very carefully from all sides and taped it up before making the holes

Yeap R1S template putting with OUT panels removed (installed on car). measured exactly for the middle panel, everything else worked great.

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Yeap R1S template putting with OUT panels removed (installed on car). measured exactly for the middle panel, everything else worked great.
Maybe it could be a little off too. I was too worried about stripping the screw more than anything. Whatever holes I cut , I was able to slipped the brackets in no problems. Right now , I already taped the holes up with gorilla sealed tape. The hole with the overlapped jack point doesn’t look good with all the taping since I need to expose jack point hole for future use

clownsmashd

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T - LE Green/20" AT/BM -- Chevy BOLT EUV
Occupation
Data Scientist/Engineer
Clubs

I did my install today. Decided to go with the slot method which in the end I'm glad I did because two of the brackets did not fit right and I had to grind them down to fit around other bolts in the frame. Took me about 5.5 hours total mostly solo except when mounting the actual running boards. They look and function great.
1 hr - unpacking and attaching plates to running boards (so much to unwrap)
2.5 hrs - Passenger side. I added an extra step since you need to torque down the T55 bolts before putting the panels back on and then attach the boards. Steps - (1) remove 3 panels. This took a while as I was way too gentle with the clip removals (2) remove t55 bolts, (3) attach brackets and snug fit t55 bolts. Attach running board. (4) torque down T55 bolts. Doing this with the boards attached will keep the brackets in line. (5) remove running boards. (6) cut out L shape holes for bracket access. I went very slowly and meticulously on this step remeasuring and holding up to truck to make sure it was right (7) re-install the 3 panels. (8) attach and tighten down running board.
2 hrs - Driver side. This was faster since I was able to remove the panels a lot quicker and trusted the cut outs even though I had to spend some time grinding out slots on two of the brackets to get them to sit flush. (one of them pictured. I kind of butchered the other one so I didn't take photo evidence).

This is not hard to do even with the L cut-outs. Just takes some time.

Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) IMG_20230618_140752240_HDR
Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) IMG_20230618_164358797_HDR

Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) IMG_20230618_142321067_HDR

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I did my install today. Decided to go with the slot method which in the end I'm glad I did because two of the brackets did not fit right and I had to grind them down to fit around other bolts in the frame. Took me about 5.5 hours total mostly solo except when mounting the actual running boards. They look and function great.
1 hr - unpacking and attaching plates to running boards (so much to unwrap)
2.5 hrs - Passenger side. I added an extra step since you need to torque down the T55 bolts before putting the panels back on and then attach the boards. Steps - (1) remove 3 panels. This took a while as I was way too gentle with the clip removals (2) remove t55 bolts, (3) attach brackets and snug fit t55 bolts. Attach running board. (4) torque down T55 bolts. Doing this with the boards attached will keep the brackets in line. (5) remove running boards. (6) cut out L shape holes for bracket access. I went very slowly and meticulously on this step remeasuring and holding up to truck to make sure it was right (7) re-install the 3 panels. (8) attach and tighten down running board.
2 hrs - Driver side. This was faster since I was able to remove the panels a lot quicker and trusted the cut outs even though I had to spend some time grinding out slots on two of the brackets to get them to sit flush. (one of them pictured. I kind of butchered the other one so I didn't take photo evidence).

This is not hard to do even with the L cut-outs. Just takes some time.

IMG_20230618_140752240_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230618_164358797_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230618_142321067_HDR.jpg
Nice work!
Sponsored