Sponsored

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telluride, Wee-Strom, Lynskey Cooper
While I still think the larger (by which I mean the Max, not the Large . . .) battery is more appropriate for my intended use, I'm a bit apprehensive about being one of the first with a different configuration. Since an SUV actually works better for us, I've accepted my decreased range fate and re-configured my reservation for the R1S. With the latest delivery estimate iteration, Rivian now tells me that delivery of my Red Canyon with OC/Blk interior is July - September of this year. Fingers crossed for that since the timing could work out well. My plan is to see how things work with the R1S in both cold weather and with towing my camper.

If either use scenario turns out to be unacceptable with the R1S, I will revert to an ICE SUV, augmented by a small BEV to use for local trips.
Sponsored

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Is the quad max going to maintain pre march pricing? I had heard that they were qualifying it as a different vehicle so it would negate the price advantage. Any updates or news on that?
No more quad max pack. Dual max pack has a reduced price.

pathfinder2

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 4runner, KS S18
Occupation
Software Design Engineer
No more quad max pack. Dual max pack has a reduced price.
The only thing holding back my order at this point is the mystical tonneau that apparently is top secret G14 classified... because they wont talk about it...

jclicky

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Welp, finally canceled my pre-order. Just doesnā€™t make sense to keep waiting at this point. Few reasons why (no hate to those waiting or Rivian, just doesnā€™t work for me to wait w/out info):
  • Still no news sent to me via email (no configurator access yet) or timeline est. for dual-motor max (maximum range + off-road performance is most impt. to me).
  • No e-locking or actual locking differential on either front or rear dual motor setup, and no plans for that anytime soon
  • No idea when quad in-house will come, or quad in-house Max
  • Prices for second-hand Rivians are dropping below MSRP online (like Cars & Bids)
  • After end of January, I received no additional updates or news about Max Pack (wasnā€™t invited to configurator, but still, looking for some kind of comms)
Yes I know I can contact Rivian, but Iā€™m obsessively following news & updates here + Reddit + S00n, so I see no reason to bother CS at Rivian when they canā€™t tell me anything more.
  • Delta between off-road & slick/icy performance of dual (upgraded) vs. quad sounds like it will be significant enough for me, esp. with no locking diff on the dual; I want the torque vectoring of quad if no locking diff on dual
  • Delta between RANGE of dual vs. quad (esp. when in conserve mode) seems to be shrinking to tiny differences, so Iā€™d rather wait until dual-motor units are in the wild & reviewed for off-road performance before pulling the trigger
    • At this point (mid-to-late 2023) Rivian will either be on fumes with few months of funding remaining or thriving, if latter, Iā€™ll re-reserve the right model for me then
    • If Quad large pack with software updates by then has good enough range for me, with better performance, Iā€™ll just go secondary
    • If dual max pack is best range with sufficient off-road/ugly (icy) conditions performance, I want months of validation before pulling the trigger, by which point Iā€™ll hop into the queue then, and ideally if Rivian has their shit together, Iā€™ll have a clearer picture of whatā€™s next, like R1X or R2 to decide. I donā€™t need it fast, first, I want the EV Iā€™ll use in perpetuity as my last car for minimum 5-7 years.
  • I will make my choice between Rivian & Ģ¶EĢ¶CĢ¶9Ģ¶0Ģ¶ EX90 once itā€™s clear what actual off-road performance of large quad is compared to max dual & Volvoā€™s deployment (likely not too impressive), or Jeepā€™s EVs (and weā€™ll know more about how those last at that point in time too)
Wish I could just patiently wait for the drip-drip-drip, but just donā€™t see the point with so many unknowns. I think it comes down to the likelihood that Iā€™ll probably go aftermarket, especially if I later can find an early build before Rivian threw in all their cost-savings removals (like the frunk outlet); if I need to be patient here Iā€™d rather sit it out to find a secondary market model since I expect interest rates to keep driving prices waaay down.

Last edited:

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Is no locker on the dual motor confirmed by Rivian?

OP
OP
zefram47

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Is no locker on the dual motor confirmed by Rivian?
Yes...on a Rivian Stories podcast/video with one of the drivetrain engineers, Mason, I think.
Sponsored