Sponsored

HyperionMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model Y (previously a 3 and X)
There is a charge curve for all EVs. There is a thread here about it. The vehicle will charge slower at very low SOC and high SOC. Since it is related to percentage, there is more "ground" to cover with a larger battery back. So if it is slower charging from 80% to 100% but is only adding 20% to 135kwh in the Large Pack vs 20% of 180kwh in the Max pack, it will take more time. Now double that for 0% to 20%.

I was not saying the Max will charge at a slower rate compared to the Large, just that it will take significantly longer due to the battery size.
I'm familiar, Tesla owner since 2018. However, your logic doesn't make a lot of sense. If they both have the same charging curve. There is no one saying you have to go deep in the pack if it's slower to charge down there (which is not true of Tesla's).
Sponsored

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
"working on" or have in production?

Also, as far as I know, Bosch still makes their electric motors, and Samsung the batteries. As of today.

YES, Rivian is making plans to eventually make their own batteries "in house", and plan to go to LFPs. Although, I hope it is not at their proposed Georgia plant because they just lost a court ruling in Georgia that could delay things there.

I don't know if Rivian can make better batteries than Samsung. Hope so, but Samsung has a lot of experience doing it.
They are planning for in house dual motors to start production/delivery Summer 2023, as of today's delivery windows. They have stated that they want all vehicles to have in house motors ASAP. The in house batteries are further out, and will be part of the GA plant, or somewhere else if that falls apart. Though I highly doubt it will given it's already started construction (site work at least, but that tends to be pretty project specific).

They don't need to make better batteries than Samsung or better motors than Bosch, they both presumably perform admirably. They just need to make them themselves. That's the main point. Saves them money and complexity.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150, BMW 3GT
Occupation
Business owner
They are planning for in house dual motors to start production/delivery Summer 2023, as of today's delivery windows. They have stated that they want all vehicles to have in house motors ASAP. The in house batteries are further out, and will be part of the GA plant, or somewhere else if that falls apart. Though I highly doubt it will given it's already started construction (site work at least, but that tends to be pretty project specific).

They don't need to make better batteries than Samsung or better motors than Bosch, they both presumably perform admirably. They just need to make them themselves. That's the main point. Saves them money and complexity.
I hope, hope they test the hell out of their Rivian built electric motors. They can't afford to have issues with them after say 2 or 3 years. Honda for example built a fantastic reputation that their motors lasted and lasted. It built a loyal base of customers because the engines were trouble free for years. Lexus (Toyota) did a similar thing. Many Lexus LS400's lasted for 250,000 miles and it pulled buyers in over a number of years.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
I'm familiar, Tesla owner since 2018. However, your logic doesn't make a lot of sense. If they both have the same charging curve. There is no one saying you have to go deep in the pack if it's slower to charge down there (which is not true of Tesla's).
On average max pack will charge faster than large. The sweet spot is bigger.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Does anyone remember when Rivian first announced their truck, they said they would make the 400 mile range version first.

Remember that?
Thst was part of my mental math when placing preorder. Didn’t work out so well

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Thst was part of my mental math when placing preorder. Didn’t work out so well
That's why I ended up switching my pre-order to large pack and plonking down another pre-order for the Max pack. Since I did it before March 1, both trucks are price protected. I won't switch to dual motor max to get it earlier, but I would be willing to switch to a higher powered quad+max and lose my price protection if it's not considerably more expensive.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
On the bright side, there's ASCII art Easter Eggs for Halloween.
FgKvh9jVUAErMNQ.png

This is the skeleton R1 after they deleted the:
  • 180 degree tailgate
  • tie-down hooks
  • lidar
  • power tonneau
  • kitchen
  • shuttle
  • frunk shrunk
  • max pack
Sir, you left out electrochromatic roof…🤣. Man, this company was super ambitious. Truck is still worth it as is though.

Ripped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Dual Max
Occupation
-
I would definitely consider a dual motor maxpack, however it kind of feels like they are working on the battery technology and have not got it sorted out.

Consider the phantom draining issue. If there is that similar problem with their battery design on the max pack and each of the cells are being drawn down by a weaker group of cells, that could spell a problem.

Keeping my preorder, and assuming that it will be delivered in 2025, but it also means

1) I am likely going to patch up my existing truck, as I won't buy a new ICE truck at this time.
2) I am hedging my bet, and placing a deposit on the F150, which by all accounts performed better on the standard battery side by side towing and range test (they also have a larger battery option now) Also I think the Ford underestimated the range, where the Rivian was more accurate but had to charge more frequently and had heat cycling issues while towing.

Didn't want to get another Ford but I guess I'm going to be in the mix now

I also have a deposit on a Silverado

I also won't have to check the forum anymore until 2025 January ;)

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

That's why I ended up switching my pre-order to large pack and plonking down another pre-order for the Max pack. Since I did it before March 1, both trucks are price protected. I won't switch to dual motor max to get it earlier, but I would be willing to switch to a higher powered quad+max and lose my price protection if it's not considerably more expensive.
Talk about rubbing salt in the wound. 😩 That was the smart play. I feel like a fool for not doing the same. At this rate, it doesn't look like I'm ever getting a Rivian. With the quiet cancelation of the powered tonneau, max pack, and camp kitchen, there's not much reason for me to get a R1T over the R1S but the lack of a full-size spare is a deal breaker as I'm buying it to go off road. I don't think a hitch mount that blocks the rear camera or dents the hatch when it accidentally gets opened is a great option either. I clearly have a lot of time to wait and see how it shakes out. Sadly, I expect I'll be able to take delivery of a 400mi GM truck or Cybertruck long before Rivian figures out the Max Pack. I admit I'm flummoxed by them claiming the dual motor Max Pack will be available first. If it really is just a ploy to get people like me with pre-march quad motor Max Pack pricing to drop their order, there are smarter ways to do it.

Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
The Cybertruck is supposedly going into production in the summer of 2023. Rivian’s Dual Motor release strategy may have been impacted by the news.

Jumacao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T PDM MP CY, Tesla Model Y, Energica Eva
Occupation
Legal
Who'd have thought the Max Pack would take the Cybertruck's place as vaporware truck of the year. And now that it looks like CT tooling equipment is showing up in Austin, Tesla may end up with the first 400+ mile truck after all...

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
Ford was smart to get some early market share with their current Lightning, but it looks like they are going to cancel the program very quickly after the new plant is up and running with the ground-up design.
I'm betting Cybertruck is first to hit market with 400+ miles of range. Line is tooling up and test bodies are showing up around the factory. Full size GigaPress casting is en-route as of Monday. RAM has only teased, GM has only shown renders thus far.

Rivian could theoretically be shipping Max Pack right now... But...

As for Ford and the Lightning, I think the new plant will be cranking out their ground up design in late '24 for the '25 model year. But I also bet they keep the Lightning around in the Pro trim as a lower cost of entry option for fleet buyers. I don't think their upcoming design is going to be cheap. They're going to target the enthusiast market and lux truck buyers first. As GM is doing.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
Does anyone remember when Rivian first announced their truck, they said they would make the 400 mile range version first.

Remember that?
All too clearly. That's why I didn't configure a Launch Edition, but rather the Max Pack. Not only did I want the larger battery anyway, but it was going to be first.
Sponsored