Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

With the forum? Itā€™s a nice forum. one of the least worst vehicle specific forums Iā€™ve been on. and I have too much free time šŸ¤—

Iā€™ve driven an R1T. Itā€™s a very good product. Iā€™ve met and talked to various people from Rivian all of them great and enthusiastic.

however, whoever is driving mid-high level decisions there is not doing a good job.

And they really seem to have no plan for my region.
The whole indefinite timeline thing doesnā€™t cut it. I was good with 2023 delivery. But now my comfiguration has no timeframe at all. And it went from ā€œservice? Donā€™t worry! Weā€˜ll come to you!ā€ To ā€œweā€˜re working on a plan for when weā€™ll have a plan to plan a service centre in your region.ā€œ

So, I still want one, but Iā€™m not giving them any money unless they figure out how to not just kick the can down the road
That plan is supposed to be made "public" sometime in January. At least they've started deliveries in the more interesting part of Canada ;)

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

So it looks like changing to the large pack worked. I just got an e-mail to confirm my configuration. What's the typical timeline once the config is confirmed?
I got this email as well. Am waffling on it. On one hand, not sure how much longer my current truck will keep running. On the other, do I really want it if it's a stripped down version of what I actually wanted? Choices... lol. Wish they would just give a delivery estimate. I.e., if "committing" now doesn't mean it will actually get the truck here any faster, what's the point? #shrug šŸ¤·

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I got this email as well. Am waffling on it. On one hand, not sure how much longer my current truck will keep running. On the other, do I really want it if it's a stripped down version of what I actually wanted? Choices... lol. Wish they would just give a delivery estimate. I.e., if "committing" now doesn't mean it will actually get the truck here any faster, what's the point? #shrug šŸ¤·
If you confirm your config and start the 8 steps you will get your truck much much sooner than the max pack.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
That plan is supposed to be made "public" sometime in January. At least they've started deliveries in the more interesting part of Canada ;)
In my BIG END OF OCTOBER UPDATE email they said ā€œyour update will come in Januaryā€œ but didnā€™t specify WHICH January

Sponsored

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telluride, Wee-Strom, Lynskey Cooper
I believe that in an on-line interview in October, Tony C stated that more information would be coming in "weeks". It appears though that Rivian weeks are to actual calendar weeks as dog years are to calendar years.

OP
OP
zefram47

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I believe that in an on-line interview in October, Tony C stated that more information would be coming in "weeks". It appears though that Rivian weeks are to actual calendar weeks as dog years are to calendar years.
If you're a pessimist, they're just stringing us along as long as possible so we don't cancel. And/or trying to get us to change to a large pack.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
A Rivian week is a regular old week. Its just the quantity that is infinite

jclicky

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Aaaaaaannnd hereā€™s another instructive example of why I am holding out for a Max Pack, though let me stipulate that I think heā€™s likely very biased toward Tesla, & he could have been far more strategic in recharg

For me, I want a Max Pack R1T because I expect the charging curve to be very aggressive to 70%, & Iā€™d like to be able to go from charger to charger to restore to that percentage (for roughly 280mi. of capacity) so in the event that chargers are out, full, busy, or slow, I still will have the equivalent capacity of a fully-charged large-pack at only 70% charged. I want the spare miles, especially for long trips or camping.

Key Points:
  • EA charger errors & sub-optimal wattage
  • Busy public chargers
  • Hard to find public chargers
  • Battery pack charging curves were less than ideal
  • Time Consuming to re-charge fully

Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

THIS WILL MAKE SOME OF US VERY UNHAPPY PRE ORDER HOLDERS LIKE MYSELF ..... 2018.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/com...pc=U531&cvid=54d4276bada3473d97ae594ff8faa3ee
From a financial standpoint, I'm sure they are juggling a blend of both preorder types at this stage. There are many here in Canada with similar order dates and no idea as to when or even if Rivian will be able to deliver to their area in any sort of reasonable time frame due to service centre rollout.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
THIS WILL MAKE SOME OF US VERY UNHAPPY PRE ORDER HOLDERS LIKE MYSELF ..... 2018.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/com...pc=U531&cvid=54d4276bada3473d97ae594ff8faa3ee
I understand why that is annoying, but Rivian never promised anyone that vehicles would be delivered in the order they were placed. This is honestly the smartest thing they could do for their financial situation - deliver a mix of early pricing and later pricing. We are all lucky they are even giving us the early pricing at all. Ford has raised prices on the Lightning 4 times already.

Bradyb23

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
102K 2014 Highlander; former Tesla Model 3 lessor
Rivian has a production problem, plain and simple. Itā€™s neither unexpected nor easy to solve. The companyā€™s future depends on being able to ramp up production as quickly as possible in order to serve the broader market, not deliver specialty options. Truth is, very few EVs offer 400+ range, and none of those offerings were early adopter options. Iā€™m frustrated that my preorder keeps getting delayed, but most of the people I know who are buying or considering EVs arenā€™t waiting for vehicles that donā€™t exist (and thus arenā€™t frustrated). Theyā€™re just picking from among the options available to them now. (Full disclosure: Yesterday I wasnā€™t sure I was willing to wait for an R1S. Today Iā€™m feeling patient. Who knows how Iā€™ll feel tomorrowā€¦.)

pathfinder2

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 4runner, KS S18
Occupation
Software Design Engineer
Is the quad max going to maintain pre march pricing? I had heard that they were qualifying it as a different vehicle so it would negate the price advantage. Any updates or news on that?

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

The preorder agreement allows them to not only alter pricing (which they did, but pulled back for us) but also vehicle configurations and options. As most have touched on, the Dual Max at lower pricing for those waiting on the max quad was a pretty fair peace offering. I don't expect them to offer up the quad again at a later date and still price match for hold outs.

Sucks, but is what it is.
Sponsored