Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Interesting how Rivian think that driving in a straigh line is not important to the performance of the vehicle,

This condition is noticeable to the customer but would not result in any changes in the performance of the vehicle
It's just meant to fix the steering wheels visual alignment to the neutral point of the steering rack. They'll still asses the alignment of the wheels as a precaution.
Sponsored

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Mine was built in Feb 2023. I don’t think there’s an issue in mine. Steering wheel is straight
Glad it is good for you but obviously not for others or this would not have been an agency request.

R1Tkc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M340, Tesla M3, Rivian R1T
Occupation
It Engineer
Clubs

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

I am one of them. When they had my R1S in for service I told them and they fixed it, so now instead of 3 min before midnight now it is 3 min after midnight. It is annoying but not something I am willing to drive to Brooklyn for... lets get that Edison site open so I can get this fixed.

Bearmountain

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 cts, 2000 dakota r/t
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer, Mechanical, Electrical, General Contractor
Will this fix the pulling right issue?
I had mine aligned by a local guy pulled a little to the right and steering wheel was a little to the left now wheel is straight and much less pulling to the right. My front right tire was almost twice the wear of the left after 6,700 miles. Rotated the tires so we'll see if that slows the ware on the right tire.

Sponsored

Mygrain

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 IONIQ 5, '23 R1S quad, many Deeres
Occupation
grain farmer, ex-Honda factory engineer
Clubs

Kind of. If they are aligning the steering wheel position to the steering shaft position, it's because they want the steering angle sensor to know exactly when the vehicle is driving straight. Thereafter they have to cross adjust the tie rods to actually make the car go straight again. Old pre skid control cars don't care much about this though it has be fairly close so the box or rack doesn't run out of travel in one direction or the clock spring doesn't get damaged.
I agree with you on the purpose of this campaign. If the drawing is correct, there are 18 splines. If the wheel is misaligned with the shaft by 1 spline, that's 20 degrees. How could PDI miss that? On the other hand, if the wheel were misaligned by 1 spline and then a 4-wheel alignement was performed, what exactly would be "noticeable to the customer?"

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

They do not have sensors on the steering wheel to determine if the car is going straight. The wheel position is rarely straight and is skewed based on the crown of the road.
How do you know that? Many cars have steering position sensors. They are used for the skid control computer. They would be absolutely mandatory to make self driving work. On many cars it's easy to see if you put the car in reverse, look and the back up camera and the angle lines move when you turn the steering wheel to show where you are going to head. They also have yaw sensors.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
They do not have sensors on the steering wheel to determine if the car is going straight. The wheel position is rarely straight and is skewed based on the crown of the road.
This is almost certainly not true.

Every vehicle I know of has a steering angle sensor. I would be really surprised if Rivian didn't.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

Every vehicle I know of has a steering angle sensor. I would be really surprised if Rivian didn't.
They have wheel position sensors but not on the steering wheel, they are almost always on the steering shaft. Reading the information for this particular campaign is to match the marks up on the steering wheel with the mark on the shaft.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Steering position sensor have been around a long time. Yes, it's on the steering shaft. BMW has been using them since around 2000. It's part of the stability system, etc. It's used to "paint" the lines on your backup camera.

Here's a decent article from GM.

Sponsored

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

I suspect the intent of that post was meant specifically to mean it's not ON the steering wheel itself, but it would be on the shaft the wheel mounts to. So that the wheel itself being "visually" off would merely be cosmetic. Nothing is measuring the "steering wheel" - you could have it canted 90 degrees off and as long as the shaft itself was "straight" or in zero position the steering sensors would deal with the vehicle as if it were going "straight" despite the wheel cosmetically looking like it was 90 degrees off center

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Ah I think we are all on the same page. If the sensor and shaft are not aligned with the direction the car is going, that's a suboptimal input for the computer.

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

Ah I think we are all on the same page. If the sensor and shaft are not aligned with the direction the car is going, that's a suboptimal input for the computer.
Yeah THIS would be an actual problem. The wheel itself is a problem for the human operator but not the sensor or the systems that rely on it's input.

Now... could this be a factor in people thinking/feeling like the vehicle pulls right? Maybe? If the wheel is off to the right, the human operator will want to make it "straight" - hence turning it slightly to the left. If the vehicle is properly aligned, it should want to "pull right" to get to it's natural steady state of "straight" - hence to the human user, it feels like the vehicle is "pulling right" because they have corrected the wheel left so it visually looks "straigt"

Do I think this is the actual reason? No. Because you'd also pretty clearly see that the vehicle was NOT going straight with the wheel straight, it would be going left. Maybe on a crowned enough road there would be enough offsetting factors to make a slight cant of the wheel left required to go straight, and then you might feel the vehicle "pulling" more to the right than normal, but I dunno. I suspect that's mostly a rarity if at all.

I'm not saying I think this will help that, I'm saying only that there might be a path where it's being "perceived" as pulling to the right because of the interactions described due to the wheel being mounted off center. But... I don't think the wheel alignment change is going to be a fix for this in nearly all cases. - it's just... possible

kyunam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 LS 400, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
not sure what I'm doing
Clubs

To get this checked and, if necessary, aligned, do I make an appointment at a service center?

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
I have a build within these dates. Had the SC center the steering wheel and do a wheel alignment.

All is well now.
Sponsored