Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maserati QP, Porsche GTS, BMW X5, R1S
Occupation
Financial
Bill restricting electric car stores now law in Mississippi

https://news.yahoo.com/bill-restricting-electric-car-stores-001514077.html

Interesting stance taken by Mississippi to disallow direct sales by the likes of Tesla and Rivian. The new law will force sales through franchise stores over direct to consumers model.

This trend seems backwards but I’m interested to see how this plays out, and how Tesla and Rivian will react.

Any Mississippi members out there?
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Rivian has managed to get vehicles to customers in other states banning direct sales. A bigger problem is if they are prevented from servicing vehicles In a particular state.

It is very backwards…

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
“Yeah… they took our jobs…

yeah… they drrr drrr!

drrr… drrrr… drrr..”

-South Park reference

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Obviously not a lot of detail but it might just be restricting direct sales from the company in person. The article does say online sales are still permitted. If you buy the car online and just take delivery at a service center style location it may still be allowed.

Sponsored

Rivianation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Manager
In Florida, I have to buy my Rivian from an Illinois 'dealer' and pay my Florida taxes to them so they can pay Florida back later. The whole thing is ludicrous and is an obvious defense against the adoption of what everyone wants: no negotiations or padded MSRPs. Just a single price on a national website, with no haggling.

No lobby can be more powerful than the 10 million annual new vehicle purchasers. Dealers know their time is running out. They will have to rip us off by some other means than sales price, financing, and tire hazard warranties. I guess they can get us on service.. but EVs don't need much of that either..... Maybe learn to code ?

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Bill restricting electric car stores now law in Mississippi

https://news.yahoo.com/bill-restricting-electric-car-stores-001514077.html

Interesting stance taken by Mississippi to disallow direct sales by the likes of Tesla and Rivian. The new law will force sales through franchise stores over direct to consumers model.

This trend seems backwards but I’m interested to see how this plays out, and how Tesla and Rivian will react.

Any Mississippi members out there?
They want some cut of the sale $ going to someone in the state. The law actually seems far better than several other states'. Based on that Yahoo article, online direct sales are still legal. It just bans Tesla/Rivian/etc. from opening new physical "stores". It's a stupid rule, but at least it's not the stupidest?

I don't see anything about service centers, which is what really matters in the end anyway. There are ways around the ridiculous sales laws. Service is a bigger problem.

Zorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Dealers are one way for states to capture a portion of the sales $. Agree that dealership model makes no sense but it won't disappear without a fight.

Sponsored

Fmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 wrangler
I live in La. I could not take Tesla delivery in TX as TX charges sales tax at point of sale and not registration. (Yes I can buy another car and the dealership invoices a local dealer in La for taxes and registration). For Tesla MS, allowed self-registration and I received a temporary plate and drove to La and paid TTL at the DMV.
So it will be interesting to see where I take delivery of a Rivian.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

It is really sad that politicians, pandered by lobbyists, enact laws and regulations contrary to the interests of their constituents.

Brian

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
It is really sad that politicians, pandered by lobbyists, enact laws and regulations contrary to the interests of their constituents.

Brian
This has been going on since the invention of government. This sort of corruption could even be found in Ancient Rome. This is why I try and avoid government as much as humanly possible.
Sponsored