Mobile charging unit gets hot

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Since the arrival of the R1s, the tesla model 3 got kicked outside of the garage. We have two nema 14-50 plugs inside the garage, one is with a 50 ft extension cord that connect to the tesla mobile charger. With this texas heat, the tesla mobile charger gets super hot and most of the time reduced from 32 amp to 16 amp charging. Is there any recommended solutions to shade or reduce the mobile charger heat?

Thanks
Sponsored

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Heat from what? Is it sitting in the sun or something? Or is that extension cord undersized and is heating up?

My Rivian portable charger doesn't heat up significantly when I use it at 32A, which I have done many times at campgrounds.

OP
OP

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Heat from what? Is it sitting in the sun or something? Or is that extension cord undersized and is heating up?

My Rivian portable charger doesn't heat up significantly when I use it at 32A, which I have done many times at campgrounds.

Yes, heat from the sun. I don't think it is the extension cord since I see it charged at max 32 amp when Dallas had a cold day a month ago. Btw, this is regarding the tesla mobile charging unit and not the Rivian.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

If it's just heat from sitting in the sun, maybe some radiant barrier foil? Or run the cable underground, if it's going to be a permanent setup?

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Rivian R1T R1S Mobile charging unit gets hot 1684883013043

Sponsored

OP
OP

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
If it's just heat from sitting in the sun, maybe some radiant barrier foil? Or run the cable underground, if it's going to be a permanent setup?

is it safe to wrap the mobile charger unit with radiant barrier foil?

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
Whatever you do, make sure there is air circulation around it, or else it’ll get worse. In general, you want it off the hot ground with some sort of shade structure that gives it relief from the southern direction.

Aren't you charging at night though?
Sponsored