Sponsored

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
I have been using my ARB 63qt fridge in the bed of my R1T. It just clears the tonneau cover. There are times I like to have the fridge out of the bed though. I built a raised platform for the back seat. At 17" H x 17.7" W x 33.3" L the ARB fridge is pretty big. I raised the platform 3.5" to clear the seat belt buckles. Maintaining access to the storage under the seat was important. Raising the platform allows access to the storage.

Video of tonneau clearing the fridge.

Raised platform pics. I cut down a fridge mount I had in my LJ.

Rivian R1T R1S My fridge locations (ARB 63qt) -- R1T bed and back seat (using raised platform) Fridge platform 1 sm

Rivian R1T R1S My fridge locations (ARB 63qt) -- R1T bed and back seat (using raised platform) Fridge platform 2 sm
Sponsored

Last edited:

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Does the rear seat bottom lock forward in that position, or are you just counting on the stand/fridge to hold it open, and hopefully not flop around too much when driving?

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
As I am planning a similar back seat location for my fridge, I was wondering if there is a way to strap it down.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Does the rear seat bottom lock forward in that position, or are you just counting on the stand/fridge to hold it open, and hopefully not flop around too much when driving?
It looks pretty wedged into place. My seat stays forward except for under the hardest acceleration with nothing blocking it.

OP
OP
Brewbud

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The fridge takes up all the space. It can't flop around.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Brewbud

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
As I am planning a similar back seat location for my fridge, I was wondering if there is a way to strap it down.
The platform will be attached to the loops for the child car seats. The fridge will be strapped to the platform.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
I have a similar setup, but without the raised bit, my platform sits directly on the vehicle inside of the seat buckles (my Dometic is narrow enough for this). I took it on a test run on fairly rough corrugated ranch rounds and light rocks without strapping it down and it never moved. The fridge was unsecured and nearly empty as well. The road was rough enough that the entire dash was visibly vibrating to a pretty large degree.

As others said, if needed you conveniently have the LATCH anchors right there to attach to. You'd really only need that for a rollover situation. Rockier type of environments you'd be going so slow anyway that it wouldn't move either. The key is not just having bare plywood, but wrapping it in carpet, and even better if you add non slip pads to the bottom of it.

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
I have a similar setup, but without the raised bit, my platform sits directly on the vehicle inside of the seat buckles (my Dometic is narrow enough for this). I took it on a test run on fairly rough corrugated ranch rounds and light rocks without strapping it down and it never moved. The fridge was unsecured and nearly empty as well. The road was rough enough that the entire dash was visibly vibrating to a pretty large degree.

As others said, if needed you conveniently have the LATCH anchors right there to attach to. You'd really only need that for a rollover situation. Rockier type of environments you'd be going so slow anyway that it wouldn't move either. The key is not just having bare plywood, but wrapping it in carpet, and even better if you add non slip pads to the bottom of it.
My fridge is a Dometic CFX40. As you noted, I will likely not raise it. My concern about strapping it down is for crash safety more than anything else. But, it‘s good to know that it does not move around, even on rough trails.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
My fridge is a Dometic CFX40. As you noted, I will likely not raise it. My concern about strapping it down is for crash safety more than anything else. But, it‘s good to know that it does not move around, even on rough trails.
Yeah, it's mostly held in place on three sides, so there is still the ability for it (along with the platform) to slide toward the door, but that would require some pretty heavy lean on the vehicle (or serious G's around a corner).

The advantage of not securing to the LATCH anchors is that you can still lift it up by the front of the platform to access the storage area. The CFX 35 is actually short enough for a 24" or so platform which still leaves several inches of the storage accessible without lifting.

Sponsored

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
Yeah, it's mostly held in place on three sides, so there is still the ability for it (along with the platform) to slide toward the door, but that would require some pretty heavy lean on the vehicle (or serious G's around a corner).

The advantage of not securing to the LATCH anchors is that you can still lift it up by the front of the platform to access the storage area. The CFX 35 is actually short enough for a 24" or so platform which still leaves several inches of the storage accessible without lifting.
Got it. Good point on the storage access. I think the CFX 35 is very close to the same dimensions as the CFX 40.

OP
OP
Brewbud

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This is the storage area access from the passenger side after lifting rear seat.

Rivian R1T R1S My fridge locations (ARB 63qt) -- R1T bed and back seat (using raised platform) Fridge platform 3 sm

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Got it. Good point on the storage access. I think the CFX 35 is very close to the same dimensions as the CFX 40.
Without lifting, I can still pull out a coil hose with garden sprayer attached, for reference. That's with about a 24-25" platform base, which is an inch or so longer than the fridge. So you can still somewhat access flexible things on that end, but lifting required to access more/rigid stuff.

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
Fridge platform 1 sm.jpg

In this photo, it appears the driver’s side seat is actually blocking the passenger side seat from folding up. Is the passenger side seat removable or is this an optical illusion? Could both seats be folded up, potentially allowing for the fridge to be located on the passenger side? I realize there is a sub woofer there, but, hey, it is a sub woofer. I also realize it would likely require forfeiting any back seat, but it would open up that under seat storage area. Rather than folding, can those lower back seats be easily removed? On my FJ, the back seats can be quickly removed, with no tools required. If those lower seats are removable and a full length platform was installed, that could be great for anybody with a dog. Possibly hinge the platform in the middle to allow for full access to the storage area.

OP
OP
Brewbud

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fridge platform 1 sm.jpg

In this photo, it appears the driver’s side seat is actually blocking the passenger side seat from folding up. Is the passenger side seat removable or is this an optical illusion? Could both seats be folded up, potentially allowing for the fridge to be located on the passenger side? I realize there is a sub woofer there, but, hey, it is a sub woofer. I also realize it would likely require forfeiting any back seat, but it would open up that under seat storage area. Rather than folding, can those lower back seats be easily removed? On my FJ, the back seats can be quickly removed, with no tools required. If those lower seats are removable and a full length platform was installed, that could be great for anybody with a dog. Possibly hinge the platform in the middle to allow for full access to the storage area.
Both seats fold up. Look at two posts above yours. That is looking at it from the sub woofer side with both seats up. I may make another mount for my Goal Zero Yeti 1000 solar generator there. I won't raise that one though.
Sponsored