kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

The fumes/safety makes sense if you're cooking inside (or very close to) your vehicle. In my mind, I don't want the food smells and/or grease that close to the interior of my vehicle.

Thanks for reply... don't want to hijack your thread.

Yeap which is why this will be a completely removable unit no where near your vehicle (mentioned up top)..
Sponsored

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
I've always camped with open flame stoves (propane, alcohol, or wood)... really like the iKamper Disco cookset. Since I've never used an induction cooktop while camping, what are the perceived advantages? I like the portability/flexibility (around the campsite) of propane cooktop as well as not having to draw power, but I'm sure I'm missing some of the benefits of the induction system. Thanks for your input.
I've switched from gas to induction in both of my houses. It's faster, quieter, more responsive, more precise, better air quality (matters indoors), and not affected by wind (matters when camping). Seems really nice not to have to worry about bringing fuel tanks on camping trips too.

If you have cast iron or most all-clad pots and pans, you'll be fine. So long as a magnet sticks to the bottom of the pan, it should work.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Here is the Input Needed

• Camp Kitchen Will Have LEGS so you don't actually cook in your car, it will be for storage/transport only.

Option 1: Would someone want to make sure the legs are 100% fully integrated and will require some partial assembly when removed (hinges will be attached but will need to attach the legs) OR have short legs 3 feet high.

OR

Option 2: Would it make more sense to have a docking table where the camp kitchen just pulls out of the storage area and sits on the table for cooking. Table would be made of wood and it would just sit on top of a folded structure with latches for security.

Option 3: You do you, i wouldn't be interested in buying such a item anyways.
I know you want to have a removable option, but what about something like this?

I couldn't immediately find the name of the style of bracket, but think this would be a way of more or less having it in the vehicle, but also a little more accessible.

What I'm envisioning is a hinged system which could quick bolt to the rear tracks, and collapse into the spare tire area. When in use, pull up and out toward the rear of the vehicle, putting it at a both an ergonomic height, but also closer to the rear of the vehicle.

Still the issue of steam/ grease getting on the upper lift gate....

PS Forgive the kindergarten drawing, it's my lunch break.

Attachments

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I know you want to have a removable option, but what about something like this?

I couldn't immediately find the name of the style of bracket, but think this would be a way of more or less having it in the vehicle, but also a little more accessible.

What I'm envisioning is a hinged system which could quick bolt to the rear tracks, and collapse into the spare tire area. When in use, pull up and out toward the rear of the vehicle, putting it at a both an ergonomic height, but also closer to the rear of the vehicle.

Still the issue of steam/ grease getting on the upper lift gate....

PS Forgive the kindergarten drawing, it's my lunch break.

I actually have those brackets so the main challenge with that was weight balance although the brackets were pretty strong and then as you mentioned the minute you actually start using it it's just going to stink up your SUV which is Main drawback.

If that was the case just pop a back hotplate on the tailgate haha save a few hundred bucks.

GWNavigator

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Big SUV
Clubs

I've switched from gas to induction in both of my houses. It's faster, quieter, more responsive, more precise, better air quality (matters indoors), and not affected by wind (matters when camping). Seems really nice not to have to worry about bringing fuel tanks on camping trips too.

If you have cast iron or most all-clad pots and pans, you'll be fine. So long as a magnet sticks to the bottom of the pan, it should work.
My very unscientific observation is that induction boils/heats/melts liquids much more rapidly than gas because the entire pot heats up, all the way up the sides, not just heat radiating from the bottom up. I was shocked at how quickly I was able to melt and heat up a quart of frozen soup using a Duxtop range and All-clad sauce pot.

My other observation is that although the Duxtop is excellent at heating/cooking, for just boiling water for coffee or tea, I much prefer a smaller/lighter plug-in kettle, like the Stagg or Corvo EKG kettles from Fellows. Saves having to haul out the much larger/heavier Duxtop.

Sponsored

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S My R1S Camp Kitchen Custom DIY (Field Testing Complete) 1675780360051

Carbon Framing on the back, this is definitely going to be a redo on the whole unit because I want everything a little bit more centered and as well as leaving more clearance for the legs which I finished last night just need to mount. Ill also be adding a center support as well, carbon tubing (Pultruded Carbon Fiber - Square Tube-Round Center) is mega strong and runs strength in length direction so I may run it the length of the actual board and mount table legs on top of the carbon tubing.

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Ended up fitting some legs that I made with some hinges and I wasn't a fan of the lack of stability.

It is a big surface area with a small footprint for legs so will need to work out some hinges will cross support can be attached. Will be looking into it later to see what I can do.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Could integrate it to this? $35!
Rivian R1T R1S My R1S Camp Kitchen Custom DIY (Field Testing Complete) 1675897352641

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Okay back on this project as I am done with some side work at my personal company. I sourced some legs that meets all requirements, folds, unscrews, and is sturdy enough to actually be useful with no wobble (in theory) so I will go ahead and do a new template (with some thicker wood) and see how everything is looking!

Sponsored

Taco Corp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

I'd be interested in something kind of like this https://trailkitchens.com/products/standard-camp-kitchen that is expandable and sits on it's own. Personally don't need quite that much work space, but a more basic chuck box style with extendable legs that can provide a stable platform for the induction burner and storage for kitchen stuff would be great.

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I'd be interested in something kind of like this https://trailkitchens.com/products/standard-camp-kitchen that is expandable and sits on it's own. Personally don't need quite that much work space, but a more basic chuck box style with extendable legs that can provide a stable platform for the induction burner and storage for kitchen stuff would be great.

I'm working on my version but basically limitations to internal compartment because of lips.

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Few Updates

-Upgrading Main Board Thickness to Accommodate for Flex with weight added on, no need for carbon frame when upgrading main board thickness.
-Adding a On-Off Switch master switch
- Mounting Legs and enduring fitment inside the rear trunk area
-Ensuring legs are stable and can be level on most surfaces.

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Here are some updates! Slight low profile shelf to accommodate collapsible legs with handles. Easy in and out!

Rivian R1T R1S My R1S Camp Kitchen Custom DIY (Field Testing Complete) PXL_20230920_211004684

Rivian R1T R1S My R1S Camp Kitchen Custom DIY (Field Testing Complete) PXL_20230920_211015069
Rivian R1T R1S My R1S Camp Kitchen Custom DIY (Field Testing Complete) PXL_20230920_211114326