Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

This story was posted in another thread of mine, but did want it to catch some traction on its own.

Background Info: January 2019 preorder holder, changed from Max Pack to Large Pack mid-September, had a VIN, 8-steps, and delivery scheduled in 3 days.

We had an R1T delivery set for September 30, so last day of Q3. Rivian was pumping units out to meet sales and delivery goals. I've mentioned this elsewhere but they definitely chose quantity over quality. The vehicle was delivered with a handful of issues: suspension cycling, alignment, front-right corner lower than rest of vehicle, steering wheel fit and finish, center display fit and finish, gear tunnel missing PPF, and MOST important, the driver-side rear door was REPLACED at the factory prior to being delivered.

Paint was broken on the hinges and whoever installed the door, just slapped it on. It had no alignment done whatsoever. The replacement door had 3 paint defects that the service center tried to fix twice - they essentially spit-shined it and called it OK. Yeah... not for me. Two of the spots had torched clear coat; there was no chance of recovering it aside from getting repainted, which was something I didn't want on a brand new vehicle.

I sent a request for replacement to my guide, coupled with my list of grievances. The first response stated the message was being forwarded to the appropriate team for response. Crickets for a week. I sent a follow-up and was then contacted by a NEW guide a few days later stating they will start the process of repurchase and delivery of a new unit. It took about 1-month for Rivian get the process completed for repurchase of my first R1T, as we had some issues with retracting the original dispatched title & registration packet to Delaware (DE moves STUPID slow).

We're under an impression a vague assumption that the first R1T was rejected once by another pre-order holder, and that's why they were so quick to take it back, but only Rivian will know...

Rivian treated the repurchase as a trade-in, so they paid off the remainder of my loan, and used the equity as trade-in credit for the new purchase. The negative to the story is that because I couldn't just swap a VIN with my credit union, we had to launch a whole new purchase process, which led to an interest rate 0.5% higher. No sweat though, hoping we can refinance in a year or two, or just have the thing paid off. I make a decent amount of side-cash day trading crypto :p

My advice, thoroughly inspect your vehicles upon delivery. A lot of this could have been avoided if we simply 'rejected' our delivery due to the paint issues, but to our deficit, it was raining and I didn't see but 1 paint defect on delivery day. Second, if you have issues after delivery that aren't being remedied by your Service Center, push for a replacement and don't take NO for an answer. Please consider using this Delivery Day Inspection Checklist I made from elements found in other community-created checklists as well as points of my own to consider.
Sponsored

Last edited:

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
@connoisseurr, is this your story, or someone else’s vehicle(s)?

I also recall another post that had similar rather significant paint, damage, alignment issues.

Just confirming. Thanks.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
Thanks for the details and the warning. What gave you the impression a previous customer rejected it?

OP
OP
connoisseurr

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
Clubs

@connoisseurr, is this your story, or someone else’s vehicle(s)?

I also recall another post that had similar rather significant paint, damage, alignment issues.

Just confirming. Thanks.
This is my own experience.

OP
OP
connoisseurr

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
Clubs

Thanks for the details and the warning. What gave you the impression a previous customer rejected it?
Not so much an impression, but more of a vague assumption. It was all very ironic from changing a configuration, to getting 8-steps, a VIN and a delivery date within 10 days, from start to finish, was a bit suspect. I know Rivian was building standard configs and sending them to high-volume service centers, and I'm sure that's more likely the case.

Sponsored

Kidentist

First Name
Carlitos way
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q7,A3, Macan GTS
Occupation
Mouth Janitor
It is concerning to say the least the significant issues reported on this blog and on the Rivian FB page.
I truly hope these are "worked out" before my due date, otherwise I will have to punt. Bummer.... :confused:

OP
OP
connoisseurr

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
Clubs

It is concerning to say the least the significant issues reported on this blog and on the Rivian FB page.
I truly hope these are "worked out" before my due date, otherwise I will have to punt. Bummer.... :confused:
It depends on level of severity. Most things mechanical can be fixed, but this was not the case on my first R1T. Paint defects are an absolute no-go for me, especially when Rivian couldn't find history of it, until a service advisor dug into vehicle notes and found the door was damaged at the plant and either repaired and repainted, or replaced.

OP
OP
connoisseurr

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
Clubs

Wait? You made money day-trading crypto?

Please continue...
Sarcasm, or...? :D

https://gmx.io/

I use this platform to trade Ethereum with leverage, up to 30x. This is all done on the Arbitrum network, which is decoupled from the Ethereum mainnet. The entire GMX project is a HUGE win. I see it going places.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Unfortunate. Glad they took care of it in the best way that they could.

This isn't just a Rivian thing. Every manufacturer has released a vehicle for sale that had notable issues. It happens. Friday at 5:00 build maybe? Sucks that it does happen, but unfortunately, happens from Ford, GM, even Mercedes.

At least Rivian has the 7 day return policy. Many companies don't, then have to live with fixing what you have or take legal action to get it returned under the Lemon Law.

Sponsored

kyunam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 LS 400, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
not sure what I'm doing
Clubs

Thanks for sharing.

a) The buyback or return process got initiated within 7 days or after?

b) When are you getting a new replacement?

OP
OP
connoisseurr

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
Clubs

Thanks for sharing.

a) The buyback or return process got initiated within 7 days or after?

b) When are you getting a new replacement?
Buyback request initiated 14 days after accepting delivery.

Replacement arrived on Monday 12/05. Rivian delivered my new R1T (Red Canyon, Ocean Coast, 22" Sport Dark) and picked up the original one. Here are a few photos from 12/05

Rivian R1T R1S My Rivian R1T Repurchase / Buyback Experience & Replacement IMG-1543
Rivian R1T R1S My Rivian R1T Repurchase / Buyback Experience & Replacement IMG-1547
Rivian R1T R1S My Rivian R1T Repurchase / Buyback Experience & Replacement IMG-1545

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Keep in mind that the issues are going to be overrepresented in a place like this simply because that's what people are going to post about. Imagine how boring/ annoying it would be if everyone posted a thread each time they drove their truck "Update report, truck still works as it should". I mean I went 60 some miles today around town and my truck was great as usual.

That's the case for most people most days but it makes for boring posts that wouldn't get any interaction.

Kidentist

First Name
Carlitos way
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q7,A3, Macan GTS
Occupation
Mouth Janitor
Keep in mind that the issues are going to be overrepresented in a place like this simply because that's what people are going to post about. Imagine how boring/ annoying it would be if everyone posted a thread each time they drove their truck "Update report, truck still works as it should". I mean I went 60 some miles today around town and my truck was great as usual.

That's the case for most people most days but it makes for boring posts that wouldn't get any interaction.
There is indeed a statistical "bias" on these threads, however, when you read about issues with mechanical parts (i,e, the shaft issues, tonneau cover, suspension, etc ) that can't be fixed with an update, that is when you get my attention.

kyunam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 LS 400, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
not sure what I'm doing
Clubs

Buyback request initiated 14 days after accepting delivery.

Replacement arrived on Monday 12/05. Rivian delivered my new R1T (Red Canyon, Ocean Coast, 22" Sport Dark) and picked up the original one. Here are a few photos from 12/05

IMG-1543.jpg
IMG-1547.jpg
IMG-1545.jpg
Thanks!

I'm glad that Rivian gave you the new truck without too much hassle (?)

Your new truck seems more expensive than the old one. Did you pay more just to grab anything available?
Sponsored