My (unfortunate) Rivian Story. In Shop For a Month and Counting

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
I have held off sharing this story because I appreciate all that Rivian has been doing to try to fix my truck, but I'm at the point that I'd like some advice from the forum.

My truck went into a service center a month ago for some fairly common issues -- the drivetrain lash (the "tocking" noise at the point of acceleration/deceleration), the vehicle not being level (front passenger side always lower than the rest of the truck), off-center steering wheel/steering wheel shake/alignment issues, the dead accelerator issue (have to press it down over an inch before the motors start to engage).

When the truck first went to the service center they called me and said they had to replace the front drive unit, which shocked me, because it never gave me any error codes or showed signs of serious issues. But I was happy Rivian caught it and was going to make it right. In the meantime, they gave me a loaner which I really appreciated (and it didn't have any of the issues my truck had). It's now a month later and the truck is still at the service center. In that time, they've replaced the front drive unit, but couldn't get it working because it had some conflict with the firmware and they couldn't get the truck to reload new firmware. Today, they told me they have to replace the new front drive unit they just installed because they think it's defective since they can't get it to work with the firmware no matter what they do. They said they are ordering a new drive unit from the factory and are expediting it and hoping to be done next week.

The truth is I'm fine waiting for my truck because I have a great loaner and I appreciate the efforts Rivian is going through to make things right, but I also have to admit my concern with what seems to be one issue after another just getting my truck up and operating again. I'm concerned it's a problem truck at this point and the issues will continue once I get it back. On the other hand, maybe the issues will be worked out and it will end up being solid and reliable as a result of all the work that's being done on it now.

Today happens to also mark the day I am officially eligible to receive a brand new truck under CA's Lemon Law. I hate to go that route, but wonder if it might be the smart move. Any thoughts or advice?
Sponsored

Last edited:

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

Most of your issues you are experiencing remain present in current production units. If you were to go the lemon route, you'd be getting a truck that MAY exhibit none, some, or all of the issues that have been experienced.

It's a coin-flip at this point.

The one benefit to getting a new truck would be the chance of no issues being exhibited, and you'd have a unit that's never been disassembled for service. Any time disassembly has occurred, there's a chance for some new problem or annoyance to become apparent.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
My truck sat at the SC for several weeks and I've had battery issues since it was returned to me. I do not think they took good care of it while it was in their possession. Honestly, a "new" truck would be what I'd push for, if I were in your shoes.

prasadtakkar

First Name
Prasad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Rivian R1S LE
I'd push for a new car :)

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

the dead accelerator issue (have to press it down over an inch before the motors start to engage).
I haven't heard of this problem. If mine exhibited this, I would absolutely expect a drive motor replacement to be in my future.

Sponsored

Kidentist

First Name
Carlitos way
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q7,A3, Macan GTS
Occupation
Mouth Janitor
My '18 Q7 experienced a major mechanical issue last fall, and it was out of warranty. Fortunately I've driven several Audis for the last 15 years so Audi of America "took care of me" by fixing the issue at no cost, my dealer also worked with me and was very helpful.
Due to the issues with shipping and part shortages, it took several months for the problem to be solved (about 4 and change). I the mean time I had a loaner (brand new Q3) that served its purpose.
The point of this is that I was ok waiting and I was also happy that this did not cost me a dime. Unless you have an immediate need to drive your car, I would just wait as it seems they are trying to get things done. That's just my $0.02

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

How old is your truck? If it is nearly new not sure you'd be any better off with a new truck as @connoisseurr mentions. Also the hassle of re-registering, any loans etc may make it a hassle.

That said if I were in the same position with my truck (with 18k miles, and plenty of dents/scratches) I would absolutely push for a new truck because it would be an upgrade.

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
Based on my understanding of CA Lemon Law (just my personal experience) one of the clauses is 30-days out of service for a major issue within the first year. Unfortunately, you'll have to wait until you get your truck back before you can do much about it...and have the paperwork. Reach out to a Lemon Law attorney and ask them.

If you do lemon your truck, you will have the choice of a replacement, or a cash out. if you take the cash, it's the cost of the truck + TTL + any interest you paid on your loan - a fee per mile (the calculation is in the law) until you reported the problem.

coshesey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Director Home Services
I have held off sharing this story because I appreciate all that Rivian has been doing to try to fix my truck, but I'm at the point that I'd like some advice from the forum.

My truck went into a service center a month ago for some fairly common issues -- the drivetrain lash (the "tocking" noise at the point of acceleration/deceleration), the vehicle not being level (front passenger side always lower than the rest of the truck), off-center steering wheel/steering wheel shake/alignment issues, the dead accelerator issue (have to press it down over an inch before the motors start to engage).

When the truck first went to the service center they called me and said they had to replace the front drive unit, which shocked me, because it never gave me any error codes or showed signs of serious issues. But I was happy Rivian caught it and was going to make it right. In the meantime, they gave me a loaner which I really appreciated (and it didn't have any of the issues my truck had). It's now a month later and the truck is still at the service center. In that time, they've replaced the front drive unit, but couldn't get it working because it had some conflict with the firmware and they couldn't get the truck to reload new firmware. Today, they told me they have to replace the new front drive unit they just installed because they can't get it to work with the firmware no matter what they do. They said they are ordering a new drive unit from the factory and are expediting it, but gave me no estimates as to how much longer this will take.

The truth is I'm fine waiting for my truck because I have a great loaner and I appreciate the efforts Rivian is going through to make things right, but I also have to admit my concern with what seems to be one issue after another just getting my truck up and operating again. I'm concerned it's a problem truck at this point and the issues will continue once I get it back. On the other hand, maybe the issues will be worked out and it will end up being solid and reliable as a result of all the work that's being done on it now.

Today happens to also mark the day I am officially eligible to receive a brand new truck under CA's Lemon Law. I hate to go that route, but wonder if it might be the smart move. Any thoughts or advice?
Unfortunately in CA (had a Tesla experience) they only have to buy it back. So you will be buying another Rivian (assuming you still want one) at the new price. I know the law states a replacement/Refund, but it is not enforced that way.
That would be tough.
PK

OP
OP

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
Unfortunately in CA (had a Tesla experience) they only have to buy it back. So you will be buying another Rivian (assuming you still want one) at the new price. I know the law states a replacement/Refund, but it is not enforced that way.
That would be tough.
PK
Are you positive about that? I thought CA Lemon Law stipulated that the consumer has the right to 1) a new replacement vehicle; or 2) a refund. The consumer has the option to either solution.

Sponsored

OP
OP

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
How old is your truck? If it is nearly new not sure you'd be any better off with a new truck as @connoisseurr mentions. Also the hassle of re-registering, any loans etc may make it a hassle.

That said if I were in the same position with my truck (with 18k miles, and plenty of dents/scratches) I would absolutely push for a new truck because it would be an upgrade.
I got the truck in early June. It's right around vin 6500 and has 1,500 miles on it. Already spent $2K on PPF, but can't worry about that at this point.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I got the truck in early June. It's right around vin 6500 and has 1,500 miles on it. Already spent $2K on PPF, but can't worry about that at this point.
It isn’t that old, doesn’t have many miles and as you say has PPF on it. Get your truck back and assess it. If no other issues keep the truck otherwise change.

kyunam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 LS 400, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
not sure what I'm doing
Clubs

Drive unit replacement twice, yeah I would do the lemon for a new car replacement.

coshesey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Director Home Services
Are you positive about that? I thought CA Lemon Law stipulated that the consumer has the right to 1) a new replacement vehicle; or 2) a refund. The consumer has the option to either solution.
I contacted 3 lemon law attorneys and the all said that all Tesla had to do was give me my money back. So I lost $3k because of the price hikes. In The end they gave me my payments back too and gave me a $3k service credit. It took them 6 weeks to get me a new Model Y.
Rivian and Tesla can't replace the vehicle immediately anyway and I think that is the loophole they are using. Maybe Rivian will be nicer than Tesla, Who knows.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
It's been in the shop for a while but mostly waiting on parts. You've just been unlucky enough to experience 2 drive unit failures. Keep in mind that Rivian is still new to this. As long as Rivian is working to make things right, see it out. I don't see LL being to your advantage at this point.
Sponsored