Sponsored

New R1S delivered today but may return it after 46 miles due to steering wheel shimmy/wobble

CO-rayman

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40 Recharge, ...
Mine had the shakes at anything over 60. Took it to my SC (lucky for me, 10 minutes away), and they tried a quick rebalance. It helped slightly, but not much. My service advisor told me that it happens on most of the trucks they've delivered, and the only way to correct it is to do nothing, as it goes away with time (especially on the 20's). I didn't like that answer, but he was absolutely correct. It seemed to fix itself after 500-1K miles. I don't remember exactly. 7K miles in, and it's not come back.

I only noticed the shakes if I had my hands off of the wheel, I never felt/saw it during normal driving.
Interestingly, I noticed a bit of shake in my steering wheel once I hit 2k miles with my 20" wheels. It only occurs above 60-65 mph and it is only visible if I take my hands off the steering wheel (and never felt).

First, I checked the wheel nuts and they were 135-138 ft-lbs, so a bit of tightening all around was in order. Second, I checked the air in the tires and I needed 1-2 psi all around.

None of these addressed the issue, so I am assuming it is a wear issue since the truck doesn't pull either way and Colorado has terrible roads to begin with.

Interestingly, I had to visit the service center yesterday for an unrelated issue and asked the service advisor. He immediately responded that they had updated the software a few versions back to address the road crown issue. He said that since these trucks are so heavy and the road crown in conjunction with road rot can steer the truck off center, Rivian decided to add a feature to continuously adjust the steering wheel to counter the truck from getting off course.

I have no reason to doubt the service advisor but it still doesn't explain why this is only happening at higher speeds. In my past vehicles the shimmy (without pulling) was usually due to worn suspension parts or difference in tire pressure side to side.

Has anybody else heard of this feature?
Sponsored