AdaminFlag

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla Model 3 LR, 2016 Ford Expedition
Clubs

Hi Caleb! We are also in Flagstaff and have an R1S preorder with a due date July - Sept. I'll be on the lookout for your blue baby! I'm seeing a few R1Ts around now, but I think yours might be the first R1S in Flag. Also, I of course had to look you up, and now I'm really craving some of your pizza...Congrats!
Sponsored

AA_Rivian_Socal

First Name
Alaa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green R1T Adv. / BM / 20 AT
Occupation
management
Clubs

congrats on a beautiful blue SUV.
We have to try your pizza on our next visit to Flapstack as my son calls it.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

To me, there's no comparison between a Rivian and a Model Y. The Model Y is the "cheap" Tesla. For those that have experienced ownership of a Model S or X (not just having driven one for a day or two), understand why one is twice the price of the Model Y. The tech of the Model Y (or 3) is great and is all Tesla and that makes the car worth it. But as far as overall build quality, it is, and feels like a cheaply built vehicle in comparison to the S or X or other high-end brands. I had a 3 for a couple of months and hated it. Went back to the Model S and appreciated it so much more. The Rivian build quality is more Model S/X like than it is Model Y/3 like. For Tesla owners coming from a 3/Y, it's a big upgrade. For those coming from an X/S, like myself, some of it is a slight downgrade, but that's mostly in the tech department. Tesla still wins in charging network, but that will change. It wins in auto pilot features. But, beyond that, the Rivian just offers so much more than a Model X. Tesla's price drop has brought its price closer, but the Rivian is still some $30,000 cheaper and you get so much more for your money. All in my own humble opinion of course. I made the change in June of last year and other than my GPS based Homelink, and waypoints which Tesla FINALLY added just before I sold my car, haven't really missed anything the Tesla had. It had A LOT, but 95% of it was stuff I had no use for. Don't watch movies in my car. Don't care if my car farts or not. Don't sit and play video games. It may have value to some, but other than testing them out once when they first came out, never used any of it, thus don't miss not having it.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Well, my wife and I just ordered an R1S...for trail running purposes too...after lemoning a Model X that was falling apart on us. It is gonna be a long wait!

P.S. Nice YTD vert. LOL!
It doesn't have to be a long wait, just get a YouTube channel 😉

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
love Flag! Enjoy the Rivian; you live in a perfect environment for it.

Sponsored

Deleted member 7086

I live in Flagstaff and have an R1T with AT tires. In response to the questions about range driving to and from Phoenix I have made that trip six times. First, ambient air temperature, running the heater/AC and speed all have an impact on my range. But generally speaking I can start in Flag with a 100% charge and arrive in Tempe with 50% remaining. Of course much of that leg is downhill. The problem is getting back uphill. My very rough calculation is I would run out of juice around Munds Park if I did not charge up in the Valley prior to returning. My standard practice is to stop at the Walmart EV chargers in Anthem, put an 85% charge on the Rivian (just enough time to get a drink, a pretzel and use the bathroom) and head back to Flagstaff arriving with a safety margin of electricity. The cold temperatures we have had this winter do impact range significantly so the winter safety margin I add in Anthem differs from summer. It is significantly cheaper to charge at home. Hope this helps.

Desiboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Plaid, LR4 ‘11, R1S
Clubs

Flag is a great town. I head up there a lot during the weekends in summer. Interested in seeing how the R1S does with a full charge after leaving PHX.
-I have AT tires as well and may well swap them with BFG KO2s which I have on my LR4 as well, I realize that may decrease mileage even more esp as I intend to put 285/65/20s

KingTodd

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru
With a August 15, 2020 reservation, I was very happy to take delivery of my R1S on March 4, 2023. It was worth the wait!

The delivery was easy and straighforward. There was not much new for me as I had done a lot of research as well as having done a test drive. The vehicle was as expected and in great shape. It came at 84% charge, which was a question I had beforehand.

I am very thrilled to take ownership. I drive a lot... about 27k in 2022 balancing work between Flagstaff, Sedona and trip to Phoenix and traveling to trail run. I previously owned a model Y, which I was fortunate to buy in Dec 2021 and sell in Dec 2022 dodging the price increase and then decrease.

The Y did not provide enough space, build nor ruggedness. Lots of plastic and flimsy parts. It is not a "SUV" as Tesla advertised, IMO. It's a street car and I don't think it warranted the price (Dec 2021 price). I am glad I had locked in the initial R1S price but would probably pay more for the R1S. It's amazing so far and I'm excited to learn more as I drive it.

I hope this is helpful.

tempImageiMxapR.png
Looks awesome. Please do a follow up on how you feel v the Tesla after 6 months or so.

OP
OP
CalebSchiff

CalebSchiff

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S LE; 2023 R1T
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Clubs

Picked up Blueberry (my fiancé's name for the R1S) from Rogue Film in Scottsdale. Guys there were very informative and did a great job. It was the first R1S they've wrapped. I'd work with them again for sure.

Rivian R1T R1S New R1S owner (former Model Y owner) in Flagstaff, AZ IMG_2881

Last edited:

HeyEllwood

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y R1S
Occupation
Operations Analyst
With a August 15, 2020 reservation, I was very happy to take delivery of my R1S on March 4, 2023. It was worth the wait!

The delivery was easy and straighforward. There was not much new for me as I had done a lot of research as well as having done a test drive. The vehicle was as expected and in great shape. It came at 84% charge, which was a question I had beforehand.

I am very thrilled to take ownership. I drive a lot... about 27k in 2022 balancing work between Flagstaff, Sedona and trip to Phoenix and traveling to trail run. I previously owned a model Y, which I was fortunate to buy in Dec 2021 and sell in Dec 2022 dodging the price increase and then decrease.

The Y did not provide enough space, build nor ruggedness. Lots of plastic and flimsy parts. It is not a "SUV" as Tesla advertised, IMO. It's a street car and I don't think it warranted the price (Dec 2021 price). I am glad I had locked in the initial R1S price but would probably pay more for the R1S. It's amazing so far and I'm excited to learn more as I drive it.

I hope this is helpful.

tempImageiMxapR.png
congrats!! Quick question. I have a Y now and we’re currently waiting for our R1S.

While sitting in the R1S, can you see the hood?In the Y you cannot see it at all from within the car which I absolutely love. Wondering if Rivian designed it like that as well. I truly hope that’s the case.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
While sitting in the R1S, can you see the hood?In the Y you cannot see it at all from within the car which I absolutely love. Wondering if Rivian designed it like that as well. I truly hope that’s the case.
No, the Rivian is a box and not an egg like the Y... you will most definitely see the hood.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

congrats!! Quick question. I have a Y now and we’re currently waiting for our R1S.

The seat base height on Rivian is much higher than MY.

If you lower the seat base to the low setting (and adjust pitch on the base seat as well as the seat back), and if you can comfortably sit and drive with the proper viewing angles, then the hood is not noticeable. I did not notice the hood when I test drove the R1S, after adjusting the seat recently.

Of course, your torso height and other anthropometric proportions will make a difference regardless of the seat adjustments and layout.

My preferred driving position is such that, in every vehicle I've owned, it turns out that I do not see/notice the hood. This is the case not just sports cars I've owned but also boxy SUVs (Durango, EX90) and countless of rental cars over the years.

HeyEllwood

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y R1S
Occupation
Operations Analyst
The seat base height on Rivian is much higher than MY.

If you lower the seat base to the low setting (and adjust pitch on the base seat as well as the seat back), and if you can comfortably sit and drive with the proper viewing angles, then the hood is not noticeable. I did not notice the hood when I test drove the R1S, after adjusting the seat recently.

Of course, your torso height and other anthropometric proportions will make a difference regardless of the seat adjustments and layout.

My preferred driving position is such that, in every vehicle I've owned, it turns out that I do not see/notice the hood. This is the case not just sports cars I've owned but also boxy SUVs (Durango, EX90) and countless of rental cars over the years.
That’s what I figured. I appreciate your feedback and info!

I’m 6’1” so we’ll see how I have to adjust the seat. I’ve thought about renting a R1S on Turo (I’m in the Bay Area) just to test this out but also see how it can fit a bunch of car seats.

tjordhei

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW 335i
Occupation
Retired
Picked up Blueberry (my fiancé's name for the R1S) from Rogue Film in Scottsdale. Guys there were very informative and did a great job. It was the first R1S they've wrapped. I'd work with them again for sure.

IMG_2881.jpg
Congrats Caleb! Blueberry looks great. We’re located in Prescott and have an R1S coming in Jul-Sep of this year. I’ve seen a few R1Ts around but no R1S’s yet, so glad to see they’re making their way into northern Arizona. XPEL question - what parts of Blueberry did you get the PPF on?

howler99

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX 350
Occupation
Analyst
Clubs

Beautiful R1S.

I would be interested to know how the guesstimator & Nav does predicting your range when making a long uphill climb to Flagstaff.

I'm in NC, and it seems to do a decent job of predicting but we don't have any inclines like that.
Sponsored