New R1S owners, please enlighten us on insurance coverage

JayinNJ

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, R1S LE Canyon Red
When was this? They accepted insurance card for Not the Rivian?

I tried that March 2022 and it was rejected, was told it must have the VIN on it.
Yes May 1 pickup. I was struggling to get insurance through progressive because they didn't have a 2023 R1S in their system and said it would take 4 days to get the symbols in. I texted the guide and she said:
"Current proof is perfect. It doesnt have to be vin specific.
as long as it's active"

So I scanned my ID for the Tesla and all was good. Insurance also said that worse comes to worse you have 30 days to activate insurance on a new car. So I was still covered even if they hadn't gotten it setup in time before taking delivery.
Sponsored

twvette

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Yes May 1 pickup. I was struggling to get insurance through progressive because they didn't have a 2023 R1S in their system and said it would take 4 days to get the symbols in. I texted the guide and she said:
"Current proof is perfect. It doesnt have to be vin specific.
as long as it's active"
Jay - did you get the VIN covered with Progressive yet? I am having the same issue with Progressive after multiple rounds of contact of them saying should have the symbols in 4 days each time. I take delivery in a couple weeks. Sounds like might not matter for delivery but hopefully not going down a dead end.

JayinNJ

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, R1S LE Canyon Red
Yes
Jay - did you get the VIN covered with Progressive yet? I am having the same issue with Progressive after multiple rounds of contact of them saying should have the symbols in 4 days each time. I take delivery in a couple weeks. Sounds like might not matter for delivery but hopefully not going down a dead end.
Yes I had to stay on the line fit awhile but she was able to fake it out using 2022 R1S symbols.

Zybane

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor 37
Occupation
Military Pilot
Just for comparison, with USAA, my 2023 Raptor that cost $92K is $800/6 months with USAA and with the same coverage level, an R1S is $1,200/6 months.

Tyleem111

First Name
Tylee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, 2022 Ford Lightning, Daiharsu Mira, Ranger
Clubs

Cincinnati insurance, full coverage, $500 deductible, $1194/yr or $99.50/mo for R1S. Located in Oregon.

Sponsored

Neuneleven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Expedition Max LTD, 2020 Volvo XC60
additional $ 748 per half year - about 1500/year for me with Geico for the R1S with 500K/500K bodily and uninsured motorist and 100K property damage liability. Bundled insurance with Geico, also have 2 other vehicles

Mygrain

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 IONIQ 5, '23 R1S quad, many Deeres
Occupation
grain farmer, ex-Honda factory engineer
Clubs

I recently asked my agent for a quote from Progressive. I already have a policy with 5 vehicles. I gave him an actual 2023 Adv Pkg R1S VIN that is listed for sale somewhere. He said Progressive did not recognize the VIN, so no quote.

Southern R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (LE/GW/OC/20"AT), Lexus GX 460 Luxury
Occupation
Builder
Just for comparison, with USAA, my 2023 Raptor that cost $92K is $800/6 months with USAA and with the same coverage level, an R1S is $1,200/6 months.
We switched from Progressive to USAA when we purchased our R1S last month.

We've got two vehicles on the policy (the R1S and a Lexus GX) with full coverage at $1M/$1M/$500k limits, $200 comprehensive deductibles, and $500 collision deductibles. Also took the "Car Replacement Assistance" option to increase payout on the R1S by 20% (to help cover the delta between pre-hike / current pricing) in the event it's totaled.

All-in we're paying just under $175/month (~$1,047 for the 6-month term) which we felt was very reasonable.

EileenB

First Name
Eileen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla YLR, Toyota Tacoma TRD 4WD
Occupation
Educator
I'm waiting for delivery, hopefully in a couple of weeks. I compared Rivian quote to Geico. Geico was slightly lower, so was just easier to stay with Geico. Rivian warned me that Geico "typically sets their policies up to pay out on an actual cash value basis. This is not the same as replacement cost coverage, and this type of policy doesn't allow for betterment - meaning you'd be limited to the original MSRP of the Rivian in the event of a total loss, as opposed to the cost to replace it with a similar vehicle."

Because I have had my order in since August, 2019 ... could be a problem if the Rivian got totaled and the only honor my original price. Need to call Geico to investigate ... anyone else dealt with this?
I have my other vehicles insured with GEICO too; however, I went with Rivian (Nationwide) because of the ACV issue vs Replacement value plus up to 10% if totaled. (At least for the first 2 years) GEICO doesn’t offer that type of coverage. They only offer the typical ACV. Rivian also only uses OEM parts - not an issue now, but eventually, there will be aftermarket options I’m sure.

Budman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV
Clubs

I think I’m getting really good rates. $398.72 for six months. State Farm Insurance . 59 years old clean driving record and no past claims. MN resident.

Reactions: MWB

Sponsored

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Pointless thread. Insurance rates will vary widely based on package discounts, age, location, coverage options. I can get insurance for my car for $86 per month but I pay $350. Why? Because I have a custom plan that maxes out coverage options beyond what is even offered in online quotation tools. Heck, even a neighboring town will have different rates than my own just based on garage location. What would be more of interest is to hear what car was removed and the % impact it caused to have Rivian added. That is likely to demonstrate on a more meaningful level what is the impact.
Agree...much of this is meaningless and also, many on here are quoting very low $$ coverage. $100/$300 is fine if you have no net worth or assets.

coaster206

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Pathfinder
Occupation
Business
I recently asked my agent for a quote from Progressive. I already have a policy with 5 vehicles. I gave him an actual 2023 Adv Pkg R1S VIN that is listed for sale somewhere. He said Progressive did not recognize the VIN, so no quote.
I got a quote from Progressive but had to call their service line and talk with a senior representative.

twvette

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I got a quote from Progressive but had to call their service line and talk with a senior representative.
Progressive related:
There is some further Progressive related info above too, but I struggled a bit also with them. I learned you basically need to call during normal business hours and don't even try going the chat or after hours route. You need to make sure the person that answers tells you they are a licensed agent. Problem is basically they are missing what they call the "symbols" for 2023 VIN's so it goes unrecognized and only they know how to upload the proper symbols to allow a quote. 2022 is not an issue and you will see you can get a 2022 model quote online, but Rivian is not listed if select 2023.

45 day requirement related:
I also had hassles with needing to show proof of coverage for 45 days after delivery. I am one of the unlucky ones where my 6 month policy was expiring in under 45 days, but also within the 30 day window from which you can renew your policy. They could not do anything to allow me to renew early. So, had to work with the licensed agent again to completely cancel the policy I had for 15 years and re-write a new one for the same vehicles and the price came out a little more than was going to be without the cancellation for some reason (but still much cheaper than other quotes I got).

I asked while on the phone if the 45 day requirement thing is something they are seeing more of and apparently it is as she mentioned Tesla now doing it too.

Sevn86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Sales
I have Connect insurance and my current 2018 Range Rover is $478 every six months and the R1S that’s replacing it will be $495 every 6 months. So it went up $17 bucks.

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti
Clubs

Current Allstate insurance on a $20,000 vehicle is $560 every 6 months. 100/300. Roadside, rental, uninsured, medical payment. $600 deductible for collision and $500 for comprehensive.

Allstate with $95,000 Rivian on it and with replacement vehicle option is $775 every 6 months.

I ran a quote with Costco without replacement vehicle option and it was 14% cheaper but they wouldn’t insure my house which would result in higher all in price Compared to Allstate bundling home / auto.

I feel like I’m in good hands ;)
Sponsored