RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
This is the third of three new product announcements from RIVIPARTS over three days.
Please take a look at the other two announcements -
Left Side Phone Mount & Rear Seat Aux Cup Holder.

Hello my dudes!

Today I'd like to officially announce something really special. I've been working on it for a few months now, obsessively tweaking it over and over until I had something that I really wanted to use, and is marked improvement over the OEM product.

Today I'm announcing the RIVIPARTS Ultimate MagSafe Charging Pad Kit for the Rivian R1T and R1S. It's designed to be a complete replacement for the stock POS charging pad that fixes everything that the stock pad gets wrong:
  • Constantly FAST charging. Fast as possible. Always work.
  • Keep the phones in place when put down and easily removeable.
  • Work with ALL iPhones and as many other phones that have MagSafe cases.
  • Maximize the space that is available. Big phones shouldn't hog the entire pad.
  • Support an easy USB plug in or an elegant reuse of the connector for the OEM pad.
  • Make it easy use, easy to install, and easy to print or manufacture.
  • Be beautiful. Blend in with the OEM design and other RIVIPARTS items.
  • Release the STL file so anyone with a 3D printer (or access to one) can print use it for free.
With that all said, here is what I came up with:

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Ultimate MagSafe Charging Pad Kit IMG_1244.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Ultimate MagSafe Charging Pad Kit 20230126_174550

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Ultimate MagSafe Charging Pad Kit IMG_1248.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Ultimate MagSafe Charging Pad Kit IMG_1249 (1).JPG

Feature of the RIVIPARTS Ultimate Kit include:
  • Up to two "floating" MagSafe compatible charging pucks. OEM Apple Pads and JSAUX Black aftermarket pads both tested and supported.
  • Dimensioned appropriately for compatibility with iPhone 14 Pro Max to iPhone Mini and all models in between.
  • Unrivaled compatibility with cases as there is virtually no camera bump obstruction.
  • Significantly enlarged front pocket. It now measures 168mm wide x 79mm deep x 32mm tall. This is enough to insert an iPhone 11 Pro without a case into it.
  • Ability to connect to the either the center console USB ports or to the OEM connector that powers the stock pad. (feedback needed - see below)
  • Ability to install one or two charging pucks as a blank for the unused side will be included. (feedback needed - see below)
The kit is comprised of a few different bits - most pictured below in prototype orange for better visibility:

1 X Charging Pad Shelf (Durable Black PETG)​
1 X Front Pocket Liner (Flexible Black TPU Rubber)​
1 X Charging Pad Blank (should you only want to install one, Durable Black PETG)​

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Ultimate MagSafe Charging Pad Kit IMG_1250.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Ultimate MagSafe Charging Pad Kit IMG_1251.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Ultimate MagSafe Charging Pad Kit IMG_1253.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Ultimate MagSafe Charging Pad Kit IMG_1255.JPG

As mentioned prior, the RIVIPARTS Ultimate kit is a complete replacement for the stock pad. Remove the old (it's all clips, there are no bolts) and drop this one into place. The kit will not includes pads as there are multiple options available. I've extensively tested with both the Apple OEM pads and the JSAUX MagSafe pads. Both work extremely well. The Apple pads will theoretically charge faster (more below) where the JSAUX are both better color matched and less expensive.

In addition to the kit, the plan is to sell an optional Direct Wiring Kit. It will include:

2 x Changing Cable Exit Blanks (shown above - small item in orange)​

This kit will provide two different options on how you can directly connect it into your Rivian. You can either solder the included adapter wiring to the Molex connector (preferred) or you can use the terminal block connector with the including adapter wiring. It screws together. This is slightly more finnicky, but potentially easier to install.

To wrap up, this design is nearly complete, but I still have a bit of refining to do. I'm al however using it every day in my Rivian, so I'm comfortable with others doing the same. STL files for the Work In Progress design as show here are available RIGHT NOW - https://www.printables.com/model/381218-riviparts-ultimate-magsafe-pad-kit-wip/files. Please download it, print it and provide feedback if you're willing to - either publicly or privately via DM.

For those who don't have a 3D printer, fear not - I will be batch producing these at a very reasonable price. The goal is to start shipping in February for under $40 for the kit + $20 (optionally) for the direct wiring kit.

Before doing so, I am looking for some feedback. Any bit helps, but answering below helps more:
  1. Is this an interesting item and is there anything additional that would make it more compelling?
  2. Is TPU rubber OK for the tray? It could be all plastic for a reduced cost.
  3. Is splitting up the direct wiring kit for the pad kit okey doke?
  4. Is pricing reasonable (starting around $60 with two JSAUX pads)
  5. Should I optionally sell the pads with it? (hopefully no :))
  6. Should I include the blanks, or will no one install just one pad?
  7. Should I include both options with the wiring kit?

Thanks for reading through this. I hope you can see this has been a labor of love. Happy to answer any questions and listen to any feedback.

Rob
Sponsored

Last edited:

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Nice design! Love the extra storage.

Tell the truth - the Advil is in reach at all times because of us, isn’t it?

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Nice design! Love the extra storage.

Tell the truth - the Advil is in reach at all times because of us, isn’t it?
Not at all!

I've been lucky enough to interact with loads of Rivian owners. Hundreds at this point - seriously. For the most part, I consider myself very fortunate to be able to do so.

Sure, there have been a few unpleasant folks (some direly so...) but on balance the community has been tremendously supportive and a joy to serve. I feel very fortunate.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Not at all!

I've been lucky enough to interact with loads of Rivian owners. Hundreds at this point - seriously. For the most part, I consider myself very fortunate to be able to do so.

Sure, there have been a few unpleasant folks (some direly so...) but on balance the community has been tremendously supportive and a joy to serve. I feel very fortunate.
That’s great to hear. I know I appreciate you and anyone else working on cool extra stuff I can possibly add when I finally get my truck. Keep up the good work!

Sponsored

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
What about among the whole thing out of rubber? I don’t generally like hard plastic to be visible like this in the truck.
You/he @RWerksman could create a STL file for TPU/TPE filament use; that's flexible/rubber-like.

Rfan

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Blue, OC
Occupation
Education/Technology
Clubs

Before doing so, I am looking for some feedback. Any bit helps, but answering below helps more:
  1. Is this an interesting item and is there anything additional that would make it more compelling?
Nice work! I like the efficient use of space!

1. - Yes, this is well done. Adding tiny Rivian logos as texture is the only thing I can think of (besides a rubbish mat type of covering)
2. - TPU -yes, or a silicon (thicker) that I have seen of some of the Rivian 3rd part trays. I, like many, hate anything rattling in these trays.
3. - Options are always well received
4. - Price is reasonable - indeed.
5 . - Some may like that option. If it were not that much more than buying them separate, many would consider the convince fee worth it.
6. - Good question. Maybe that is an option.
7. - I would likely get both. Hard to say which is better for me and my comfort level until I dive into the project.

From a design standpoint, this is the best one I've seen. I'd like to order one!

Thanks for you time and efforts on this!

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
What about among the whole thing out of rubber? I don’t generally like hard plastic to be visible like this in the truck.
I haven't due to two reasons - cost and structural stability. The former is pretty self explanatory. The latter is probably more important.

As The inside of the vehicle heats up there TPU tends to loosen up. It would almost certainly sag.

I have however looked into creating a thin later of TPU for the top of the plastic bit. That's going to take quite a more engineering though as the bracket must be printed upside down. Instead of doing so, I chose to reduce the size of the top as much as possible. I think the production version will likely be even smaller as little winglets will surround the charging pads on the side instead of the entire top, if that makes sense.

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
You/he @RWerksman could create a STL file for TPU/TPE filament use; that's flexible/rubber-like.
I'm almost certain that the STL posted can be printed complete from TPU if wanted.

Nice work! I like the efficient use of space!

1. - Yes, this is well done. Adding tiny Rivian logos as texture is the only thing I can think of (besides a rubbish mat type of covering)
2. - TPU -yes, or a silicon (thicker) that I have seen of some of the Rivian 3rd part trays. I, like many, hate anything rattling in these trays.
3. - Options are always well received
4. - Price is reasonable - indeed.
5 . - Some may like that option. If it were not that much more than buying them separate, many would consider the convince fee worth it.
6. - Good question. Maybe that is an option.
7. - I would likely get both. Hard to say which is better for me and my comfort level until I dive into the project.

From a design standpoint, this is the best one I've seen. I'd like to order one!

Thanks for you time and efforts on this!
Thanks, friend. This is helpful.

Just a note on the Rivian Logo thing - I can't do that unfortunately. It's infringement on a trademark and that would be nearly guaranteed to get me a nastygram, at minimum.

I know for 100% certainty that Rivian is well aware of what I make, employees of the company use my products, and that they are or have been discussed internally in Slack channels and the like. I respect what they have made.

That said, the Creative Commons license that I've attached to all of my designs (this included) allow for remix. There is nothing preventing someone from downloading them, modifying them with the logo, and printing them for personal use.

Keep in mind that I'm not an attorney and this post isn't legal advice or whatnot. :D

Sponsored

donguanella

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S + X Refresh
I love the oversized pocket and the floating chargers! TPU for the tray feels worth it - and pricing is totally reasonable. I’d package the wiring kit - if you’re confident enough to tear apart your console you’re the person that can handle some Molex connectors.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
Pricing is super reasonable. I'm printing it now; I'm debating if I want to vinyl wrap the whole thing or just the front pocket liner because I don't have TPU and my PETG never turns out 100% smooth 😅

I feel bad for getting all this stuff for free from you, do you have a donation link?

racekarl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
1. Yes this is a very interesting item, I followed your previous threads and always liked the way they replaced the existing charging mat and re-used the connector. The larger cut out for camera bumps and other nicknacks is nice. My current car has a little "junk slot" like that that is in constant use. My only question is about the risk of pulling out the pucks when removing something from the cubby.
2. Yes to TPU in the bottom for rattle reduction
3. Yes I think so - nearly all competing products use the usb-c plugs, so splitting them gives you a way to offer both a lower cost/complexity item and a more integrated install.
4. Yes
5. Honestly given that you're giving away your design and not looking to make a living off of this I would do whatever works better for you.
6. Ditto above answer, though I could see myself doing just one. I am alone in the car 90% of the time, and it would make access to the cubby easier.
7. See #5 - I think most people (on here at least) would rather see you continue innovating than get burned out, so do whatever works best for you.

My only other comment/question is about options for the finish. 3D printed plastics have a distinct look to them that seems out of place in a ~$90k vehicle. What sort of options are available to dress up the top a bit? Could it be sanded and painted (or plasti-dipped for a soft-touch finish) or wrapped in vinyl or something? Not saying you need to do this, more thinking about it from a self-applied point of view.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

This is a superb item, and my favorite design so far. My responses to your questionnaire:

1. This is the best option I've seen so far and the only recommendation I have is to find a wiring kit that can directly accept the USB-C connectors from the MagSafe pucks - which I know doesn't exist anywhere as I've looked extensively
  2. TPU is OK, however, I'd love to see a solution made out of any material that has a grippy/non-slip top surface that doesn't look 3D printed. If existing casting can be coated or covered in a rubber-like material, or covered with a rubberized mat, that would be my recommendation.
  3. I'd offer the soldered wiring kit preassembled, and ditch the screw-together connector
  4. I would offer the casting and wiring kit only. Let customers source their own MagSafe pucks. These things can fail, and also arrive DOA. Let the customer handle their own exchanges, rather than bother you for replacements, return shipping costs, etc.
  5. Echoing my previous response, do not offer the sale of MagSafe pucks with castings and wiring kit.
  6. Maybe offer casting of two versions - single puck and double puck. Single puck includes the blank, double puck does not.
  7. Skip both options on wiring and just use the molex connector that can mate directly with the Rivian OEM harness.

who764

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
Nice work! I think $60 is certainly reasonable.
Sponsored