rockandrollray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Television Editor
Clubs

Picked up my R1S an after a 4 year wait last Tuesday. So much of it is perfect. But I did want to mount a phone or screen up front for CarPlay….I bough a charger for the 12V under the Dash and….couldn’t find it!

I thought I must be missing something obvious, I even checked the digital owners manual which still labels a 12V placement under the front center screen.

Finally I broke down and called Rivian support who informed me that if my R1S was built Feb 2023 or later, they no longer have a 12v outlet in the front cabin under the screen. Bummer!

I guess now I just have to run a longer usbc cable from the dash all the way into the center console which doesn’t look great.

don’t know if this applies to the R1Ts as well, or just the S…..

(yes there is a 12V in the front trunk)
So strange, I took Delivery early Jan 2023 (2022 R1S LE) and I have the 12V under the dash but no 12V in the Frunk. Seems random!

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
I wonder what will remain by the time I get my R1S? I bet they will soon remove the flashlight and camp speaker. They are bigger ticket items that will reduce unnecessary cost. At least that’s what Munroe says.

larrydallas

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus R350, Rivian R1S
I wonder what will remain by the time I get my R1S? I bet they will soon remove the flashlight and camp speaker. They are bigger ticket items that will reduce unnecessary cost. At least that’s what Munroe says.
Ditto. The stupid thing is, I’d pay a dumb amount extra for all three 12v outlets. Maybe make a “utility plus package” or something and charge an extra $200 or whatever. Realize that’d make builds more complicated, but just seems like they’re nickel and diming us for an $80K+ vehicle.

Sponsored

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Just took my R1s adventure delivery this past Friday with vin number 51XX and there is not a 12V plug underneath the dash. The only one I found is at the back by the air compressor. WTH. I need one for the radar detector in front !
Send your thank you cards, and love letters, to Mr. Sandy (“cheapen”) Munro.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

When they removed the frunk 12v he claimed it was from “lack of usage”, as if they had any actual data on that. They can’t very well say that about the one under the dash. If it’s just a cost cutting move I wish they would simply say so… Personally I would rather have the one under the dash than the frunk.
agreed. frunk was overkill. dash would have gotten use for lots of accessories.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

anyone with a recent R1T and does not have the 12V under the dash?

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

My mid-Feb delivery has it.

741586C5-AF3B-40E3-AFB2-8ECEDD1585BB.jpeg
I’ve gotta say that this is a ridiculous place to have a 12V outlet. No wonder its been deleted.

The right thing to do is to have the plug at the base or somewhere where you can easily access it.

I’ve never had a radar detector, but often thought of getting one. There is nothing wrong with having one. Frankly every car should have the option from the factory to have one integrated into the vehicle. If anything, it will make people driver more consciously as detectors will warn that you are speeding and being tracked.

Sensible speed is a function of the environment and the road condition of the drive. Arbitrary speed limits are completely outdated. But, changes are hard….

Sponsored

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
Aside from an archaic phone charger that plugged into the 12V, I have never used one in any of my cars.

OP
OP

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
No need for a radar detector if you aren’t a criminal.
Wow. Now you are a criminal for having a radar detector. People on this forum is something else !!!

Last edited:

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Funny no one questions whether this could be due to lack of parts availability. Maybe it's cost cutting or maybe it's adapting to keep the factory churning out vehicles. My 1/23 build has all 3 12V sockets. It also has dual magnets to hold the frunk floor. I don't have the wood on the back of the front seat head rests but that never seemed like a good material for a potentially high wear area, even though it looked awesome. On my vehicle, that wood trim was replaced by metal look piece that matches the rest of the interior metal trim. And the door pockets are just plain black fabric trimmed, no more fancy buckles and zippers.
This was my thought too. As stupid as it sounds, I have to wonder about supply chain issues being the cause of this (assuming the delete is real).

I'd like to throw out another possibility, just to keep things interesting. 12 Volt outlets are being systematically deleted and readded to help with troubleshooting the phantom drain issue. 🤡

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Wow. Now your are a criminal for having a radar detector. People on this forum is something else !!!
No, you’re a criminal if you speed so much you need a radar detector to try to worm your way out of tickets you deserve.

Speed if you want to but be enough of a man to accept the consequences of your actions if you get caught.

OP
OP

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
No, you’re a criminal if you speed so much you need a radar detector to try to worm your way out of tickets you deserve.

Speed if you want to but be enough of a man to accept the consequences of your actions if you get caught.
I didn’t know speeding is a crime ! I guess the whole country are criminal except for you. Mr perfect I drive at speed limit at all time
Sponsored