Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 FG/FE R1S, 2020 Model Y
Occupation
Retired / board director
Clubs

The problems they had were real, and service communications certainly could have been better. But they definitely played it up for clicks, and as a negative comparison to Tesla. Eg feigned outrage that they had to accept the cost estimate before the work, even though it was likely covered by warranty. Tesla does the exact same thing. Teslaā€™s also been in business ten years longer so I would hope they have a better handle on service.

My early service interactions with Tesla pre Model 3 introduction were good, I was able to call the local service center. They then blocked that but I had a way to get through the tree and the people who answered knew my name. Then it changed and I was no longer able to get through.

My most recent Tesla service interaction - the first in two years - actually went very smoothly via central tech support and then app messaging with the SC. They helped me address an ominous electrical system fault warning in the middle of a road trip. Right after returning home I had a bad experience with Apple Genius Bar where I couldnā€™t get through to the local store to learn what was happening with my MacBook Pro battery replacement that took a week instead of two days. I never thought Tesla would provide better service and communications than Apple, but the app messaging really worked well. Does Rivian use the app that way?

I also wonder why EV makers donā€™t use lithium ion batteries for the 12v, instead of legacy lead acid. Any ideas?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I had a good conversation with my Rivian mobile tech back in May and he suggested they hadn't been doing mobile service for very long yet at that point. I've never had mobile service again. All of my other issues required more work than they could do in my driveway. Never anything that left my truck inoperable.

I'd still be pretty comfortable trying to jump the truck to get access and directing a non-Rivian certified person to tow it if I needed to, but that's because I actually read the manual on these things for my vehicles. That's literally all it takes.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I also wonder why EV makers donā€™t use lithium ion batteries for the 12v, instead of legacy lead acid. Any ideas?
If a li-ion battery dies and it's significantly below freezing, you can't jump it.

Governor

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3rd Gen Tacoma Pro Lexus NX
Occupation
RN
Gracious, to all u fanboys with the accusatory tone that the vid is strictly disingenuousā€¦ur koolaid cup is overflowing.

HumanGenome

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
I don't really understand how you can call critiques of this video's position disingenuous. The evidence presented that there is a widespread software issue drain bug that is "bricking" 12 volt batteries based on ONE experience and ONE service technician is extremely amateur journalism clickbait. It's anecdote. There's fair criticism in the video about overall experience and accessing the front trunk but that has always been an issue with Tesla and I don't see them making a video about it.
Sponsored