North Carolina (Raleigh) Rivian Fans

Superdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
Construction
So you guys didn't do anything after you got the paper work from Rivian and just drove with the temp tag until you got billed? Did you apply for the title? Thanks
Yes. All I did was ask for an update about once a month. I haven’t thought about the title yet since I chose to finance the purchase.
Sponsored

dekeen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (on order)
Occupation
Consultant
Thanks. I went to DMV earlier this week with the paperwork that Rivian sent to me. They didn't request that the Manufacturer Statement of Origin document be notarized. The only issue I had was that I had to pay the sales tax (again). I had already included the 3% NC tax to my payment to Rivian. Rivian has said that they will refund that to me.

gombater

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T FE/FG
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Just picked this up Saturday. Can you please help me understand the sequencing on how to get the truck legal in NC. Rivian evidently has applied for the title, and said I need to go to DMV and register it. But it would seem I need a safety inspection before I can get it registered. And, if the inspection station doesnt have a record of the truck on file, how do they inspect it? My guide has been very helpful in responding, but I'm still a bit confused and would like to hear from someone who has been through it. Thanks.

IMG_0942.JPG

IMG_0945.JPG

IMG_8974.JPG
As a relatively new resident of NC this confuses me too, but my understanding is an annual inspection is required to get your tags renewed, but not required on initial [new] purchase. I did not have to get an inspection to get my license and tags. That being said, last fall I did I have to get a document notarized and mailed back to Rivian's service provider before they started the process on their end. Not sure if that is still required or not.

As a northerner, I find NC's vehicle licensing, hard alcohol [ABC Stores], and a few other items very process heavy. I have vague memories of my Dad getting his pickup truck inspected annually 40 years ago in Illinois but I personally have never completed this process. Being forced to go to the government store to by Bailey's for my coffee just seems asinine.

Love NC [false] spring in February though.... major snow in Illinois this week.

dekeen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (on order)
Occupation
Consultant
As a relatively new resident of NC this confuses me too, but my understanding is an annual inspection is required to get your tags renewed, but not required on initial [new] purchase. I did not have to get an inspection to get my license and tags. That being said, last fall I did I have to get a document notarized and mailed back to Rivian's service provider before they started the process on their end. Not sure if that is still required or not.

As a northerner, I find NC's vehicle licensing, hard alcohol [ABC Stores], and a few other items very process heavy. I have vague memories of my Dad getting his pickup truck inspected annually 40 years ago in Illinois but I personally have never completed this process. Being forced to go to the government store to by Bailey's for my coffee just seems asinine.

Love NC [false] spring in February though.... major snow in Illinois this week.
Thanks, yea, I should have known this, but the safety inspection follows the tag. New tags only require inspection after the first year.

andisimose

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas
Clubs

Finally saw limestone today in person at NoRa in north Raleigh and made me want to change back to it. Great color.

Sponsored

MattCanesR1T

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Director Quality Engineering
Finally saw limestone today in person at NoRa in north Raleigh and made me want to change back to it. Great color.
I have the limestone as well, though it wasn't me in that part of north raleigh on that day ;). I can attest though, it's amazing color!

tangent - seems like we won't always have to drive to richmond any more for the "easy" service. can confirm rivian called me to offer mobile service in raleigh for a tire rotation. nice to not necessarily need to drive ~2.5h each way

Superdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
Construction
I have the limestone as well, though it wasn't me in that part of north raleigh on that day ;). I can attest though, it's amazing color!

tangent - seems like we won't always have to drive to richmond any more for the "easy" service. can confirm rivian called me to offer mobile service in raleigh for a tire rotation. nice to not necessarily need to drive ~2.5h each way
Was there a fee?

andisimose

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas
Clubs

I saw mobile service last night on lead mine road. It’s nice to know that they seems to be around now.

gombater

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T FE/FG
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I saw mobile service last night on lead mine road. It’s nice to know that they seems to be around now.
Mobile service stopped by today to address the latest recall. Interestingly, they spent more time ripping off a plastic retaining clip on each rear passenger pillar than the recall. Apparently through air bag testing these clips run into rear passengers. the R1T passed safety tests with the clips, but apparently a higher safety level can be achieved by removing these clips. Literally took a pliers to them and broke them off. apparently there is a technical bulletin on this.
Recall was super easy - hook up a laptop, test the front passenger seat belt for error codes - no error codes so passed.

On the Q&A side, no powered tonneau info to share.... Was surprised to hear there are over 1500 Rivians in the Raleigh area now delivered. [the most I have seen in the area was the last Rivian Stories meet up at Viches Fishes last fall]. Apparently its the largest delivery area by far for Richmond SC....[per tech]

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Mobile service stopped by today to address the latest recall. Interestingly, they spent more time ripping off a plastic retaining clip on each rear passenger pillar than the recall. Apparently through air bag testing these clips run into rear passengers. the R1T passed safety tests with the clips, but apparently a higher safety level can be achieved by removing these clips. Literally took a pliers to them and broke them off. apparently there is a technical bulletin on this.
Recall was super easy - hook up a laptop, test the front passenger seat belt for error codes - no error codes so passed.
Interesting. Tech came to do the passenger seat recall and they didn't touch any plastics on my truck. Also frustrating they refused to even look at any of my other issues. Said they could only do the recall and that's all.

Cary Hawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T El Cap/22/OC
Clubs

Consider y'all lucky to see a mobile tech. Talked with Rivian Service a couple of times re Recall and other outstanding issues and they are still "assessing" whether a mobile trip is possible... Best they could do is schedule a "May" SC visit to Richmond. How did y'all get them to come to Raleigh for the recall? Rivian seems to be slow playing me and insisting to take it to Richmond for everything and not send a mobile tech for those items they can fix mobile.

Ive already taken days off work to go to Richmond before and when I got the truck back only apprx 1/2 the issues were fixed. So, not so confident Richmond SC trip is worth all the time, hassle, missed work, and expense if they dont fix the truck.
Steering wheel vibration has gotten worse, wind noise now sounds like gale force winds at anything over 50mph. from both driver and passenger side windows, tailgate sticks and doesn't lower without help, and Tune In has started to glitch. More stuff on the list, and still waiting on the T Cover.

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
Consider y'all lucky to see a mobile tech. Talked with Rivian Service a couple of times re Recall and other outstanding issues and they are still "assessing" whether a mobile trip is possible... Best they could do is schedule a "May" SC visit to Richmond. How did y'all get them to come to Raleigh for the recall? Rivian seems to be slow playing me and insisting to take it to Richmond for everything and not send a mobile tech for those items they can fix mobile.

Ive already taken days off work to go to Richmond before and when I got the truck back only apprx 1/2 the issues were fixed. So, not so confident Richmond SC trip is worth all the time, hassle, missed work, and expense if they dont fix the truck.
Steering wheel vibration has gotten worse, wind noise now sounds like gale force winds at anything over 50mph. from both driver and passenger side windows, tailgate sticks and doesn't lower without help, and Tune In has started to glitch. More stuff on the list, and still waiting on the T Cover.
Regarding Richmond, I can add some insight. I had my truck at the service center a few weeks ago. They told me they are the smallest service center, lowest staffed and the second busiest. They are having to service all of the DC metro area and Maryland. A new temp DC area service center opens end of this month and a permanent one this summer. That should alleviate some of the strain on Richmond.

Richmond also told us NC is killing them because they can’t set up shop in the state, so it strains resources to send service techs to NC.

Cary Hawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T El Cap/22/OC
Clubs

Thanks, that all makes sense and yes, the NC legislature is in the pockets of the car dealership lobby. Taking all their money to keep Rivian out and any other none dealer auto companies (except Tesla, that sent their own payoff to the law makers).