North Carolina (Raleigh) Rivian Fans

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
Would anyone want to do any range testing with me sometime? I just picked up my new boat (Egret Moccasin 210) and while the 4Runner tows it really well she's getting a little up there in age and miles (2012, 160,000 miles). My plan was to just wait a few years for charging towards Wilmington and Rivian efficiency/battery tech to improve to the point it makes sense to go Truck EV. There's no reason we can't do some quad motor testing while we wait for the dual motor and charging to improve though.

Boat spec:
21' length
7'9" beam
3000lbs as it sits

I live in Cary, if anyone is interested, maybe we could hook up and tow down 64 or 540 for about 10 miles, then make a return trip for a rough highway speed estimate. I picked the boat up in Washington, NC and made the drive back at speeds of 65-70mph. I have oversized 265/60r20 E Load Nitto's on my 4Runner and I typically average about 15mpg (trip computer states 295 miles of range, roughly the same as an R1T with A/T's), towing the boat the range dropped to 11mpg, a 27% decrease. I'm hoping the efficiency impact will translate the same to an EV, which will make my decision MUCH easier.
Rivian R1T R1S North Carolina (Raleigh) Rivian Fans IMG_0851.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
idlethoughts.blog
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Rivian R1T LE (delivered 6/28/22)
Occupation
Retired
Consider y'all lucky to see a mobile tech. Talked with Rivian Service a couple of times re Recall and other outstanding issues and they are still "assessing" whether a mobile trip is possible... Best they could do is schedule a "May" SC visit to Richmond. How did y'all get them to come to Raleigh for the recall? Rivian seems to be slow playing me and insisting to take it to Richmond for everything and not send a mobile tech for those items they can fix mobile.

Ive already taken days off work to go to Richmond before and when I got the truck back only apprx 1/2 the issues were fixed. So, not so confident Richmond SC trip is worth all the time, hassle, missed work, and expense if they dont fix the truck.
Steering wheel vibration has gotten worse, wind noise now sounds like gale force winds at anything over 50mph. from both driver and passenger side windows, tailgate sticks and doesn't lower without help, and Tune In has started to glitch. More stuff on the list, and still waiting on the T Cover.
I had a mobile visit on March 16 (to Emerald Isle, NC) for the recall and a gear tunnel entrapment switch replacement. No hesitation at all from service to schedule. When tech left, he was headed to Kitty Hawk, he saidā€¦hope this doesnā€™t jinx me šŸ˜œ

Cary Hawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T El Cap/22/OC
Clubs

Consider y'all lucky to see a mobile tech. Talked with Rivian Service a couple of times re Recall and other outstanding issues and they are still "assessing" whether a mobile trip is possible... Best they could do is schedule a "May" SC visit to Richmond. How did y'all get them to come to Raleigh for the recall? Rivian seems to be slow playing me and insisting to take it to Richmond for everything and not send a mobile tech for those items they can fix mobile.

Ive already taken days off work to go to Richmond before and when I got the truck back only apprx 1/2 the issues were fixed. So, not so confident Richmond SC trip is worth all the time, hassle, missed work, and expense if they dont fix the truck.
Steering wheel vibration has gotten worse, wind noise now sounds like gale force winds at anything over 50mph. from both driver and passenger side windows, tailgate sticks and doesn't lower without help, and Tune In has started to glitch. More stuff on the list, and still waiting on the T Cover.
Update: now 3 lengthy phone calls, 2 chat sessions with service and more videos and pictures to provided with specific feedback requested by service and still no idea if they are able to send a mobile tech To handle maybe 3 of the 8 items. The delay and stalling is comical, especially when every call ends with service saying ā€œIā€™ll call you back today with more informationā€. Ha, never a return call, period. This last time I just audibly laughed when they said it. It didnā€™t even phase them, they know its BS..
Guess Iā€™ll be resigned to my fate, call ever 4 days with no results till the end of may when my SC appointment is, take a day off work and trudge to Richmond for them to fix 1/2 of the issues 10 days later and another day or two off work.

DinNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S - LE/LG/BM/20ā€ Dark
R1S all weather mats - all blackā€¦. Received an extra set and Rivian said give them awayā€¦. DM me to claim.

OP
OP

CoachBatch

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Sponsored

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
OP
OP

CoachBatch

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Do we need a Rivian to be able to go? I've seen a couple up close but would love to sit in one if someone is willing.
Being an owner is not required. You're welcome to join!

csharp

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Clubs

Do we need a Rivian to be able to go? I've seen a couple up close but would love to sit in one if someone is willing.
I saw earlier you're also in Cary. I'm willing to meet up somewhere if you want to take a ride and sit in my R1T. Just shoot me a message.

kmusk01

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Network Engineer
Clubs

I am from Charlotte, and just received my invite to start my 8 steps!! I went a few wks ago to the Atlanta SC for my 1st mile drive on a R1T and LOVED IT. They employees there were top notch and let me walk all around to look at the different color combos they had on the lot.

I do have a few question from fellow NC'ers about delivery. Did everyone do home delivery or SC delivery and did it speed up or delay anything? I ask because I am thinking of going SC delivery, as my thinking is if the R1T has any steering wheel shimmy or mis-alignment they can fix right then and there at the SC. However, I have read reports of people doing this, but still needing to go through the Rivian app to make an appt. and come back to the SC to get fixed. With me being 3.5hrs away I want to avoid as much as possible.

Luckily for me and my job I got to ATL a few times a year and can always loop service in when I am down there for a week. Hopefully that won't happen all the time.

Also looking through final numbers on the R1T and see the destination charge is $1,800!! This seems crazy to me. Not sure if this is because I have my home address currently for delivery vs the SC. I talk with my guide next week for the first time and plan to ask if I change to SC does this fee go away. If it does, then I will for sure pickup at SC.

Last question is on plates/registration. Since this truck is sooo heavy I need weighted plates. Is there a different process for this that I am going to have to sit at the DMV forever to handle, or does Rivian finally have things organized enough that they can handle all of this..?

Excited and nervous all at the same time!

Thanks,

Ken~

dekeen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (on order)
Occupation
Consultant
I took delivery at the Richmond SC. Definitely think it sped up my delivery time. If you take delivery at the SC, you will still be hit with the $1800 destination fee. High, but I donā€™t think unreasonably so among dealers today. I doubt the SC would be able to fix any issue you saw before delivery at the SC. They would probably want to schedule an appointment. I have heard their backlogs are now up to 6-8 weeks (depending on the SC). No need for weighed plates. But the registration process was not clear to me and I had to learn on the fly. You will need to take the documents Rivian gives to you to a NC License Plate office. I cant remember what the specific doc is called that the DOT needs but its something like the Manufacturerā€™s Certificate of Origin. Go to the NC DOT website. They have a list of what you will need. No need to get a safety inspection forehand. But the DOT will make you pay the 3% tax, which I had also paid to Rivian. Rivian says that they will reimburse me for that, but its been about 2 months and I havenā€™t seen it yet. So maybe you should refuse to pay the tax to Rivian and see what happens.

Oh, and meant to mention. You are going to love the truck. Best vehicle I have ever owned, even with a few issues typical of first gen cars (a few panels not totally flush, occasional software issue, etc.). All very tolerable.

Last edited:

Sponsored

kmusk01

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Network Engineer
Clubs

Thanks for the heads up on needing to go to NCDOT still and the 3% tax. I can tell you for a fact if I have to pay the tax to Rivian and still go to NCDOT and pay again, the better half will NOT let me get this truck.
I will see what my guide says on Tuesday when we have our first chat. This will be number 1 on my list for sure. Pretty sad that you are on 2 months now and no refund.

Besides the NCDOT thing everything else about pickup/ownership going well..?

Ken~

dekeen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (on order)
Occupation
Consultant
Should have also mentioned the title fee in addition to the tax. I paid that to both Rivian and DOT, but again Rivian says they will reimburse. I have no doubt that they will, but they do tend to move at a glacial pace. Prior to your delivery, Rivian will send you a sales contract with all of the costs broken out. Had I known that DOT would also collect the tax and title fee, I would have complained to Rivian when I got my contract. Iā€™m confident it will not be an issue for you because it only creates more work for Rivian if they have to reimburse you. I read somewhere that someone in NC said that the DOT wanted the Certificate of Origin notarized by Rivian. It was not required by DOT when I went. I was expecting the worst, but other than coming out $3K poorer, my visit went very smoothly.

No issues with ownership so far. The truck is amazing and I still look forward to driving it each day. Great driving truck and the tech is amazing.

kmusk01

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Network Engineer
Clubs

Spoke with my guide who is great so far! Anyways the truck is done and sitting at Normal waiting rail over to ATL SC. He says 4-6wks, but thinks it will be quicker and he should know movement by next week.

The interesting thing he said since I have all my steps done except Payment/Insurance is that I should start the wire transfer now..... I do not feel like I should have to wire anything until I have a schedule date for pickup. I have a loan for half the amount, and pre-approved with locked in rate for 30 days with BofA. The rest I am paying out of pocket for (Selling Mach-E) and will do a wire transfer as well via BofA.

My question is did anyone else wire money before they received a pickup date? I don't want to especially for the loan amount as I would have to start paying interest on that loan with no truck.

Insurance will be easy and can get added same day, so I have that part covered.

Also he did say not to worry about any paperwork/titling/plates as they would handle it all and know the steps in NC. Fingers crossed he is correct.

Getting excited and nervous all at the same time!

Ken~

Revelation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1T
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
The interesting thing he said since I have all my steps done except Payment/Insurance is that I should start the wire transfer now..... I do not feel like I should have to wire anything until I have a schedule date for pickup. I have a loan for half the amount, and pre-approved with locked in rate for 30 days with BofA. The rest I am paying out of pocket for (Selling Mach-E) and will do a wire transfer as well via BofA.

My question is did anyone else wire money before they received a pickup date? I don't want to especially for the loan amount as I would have to start paying interest on that loan with no truck.
Typically they won't schedule a delivery date until the payment details are done. You can talk to your Guide and let them know as soon as they have the truck on hand and it passes PDI then you will take care of the payment.

Also he did say not to worry about any paperwork/titling/plates as they would handle it all and know the steps in NC. Fingers crossed he is correct.
When I received mine, last year, they were able to knock it out in 3-4 weeks if I remember correctly. It was delayed, initially, as they had the weight wrong on the registration and I had to fill out additional paperwork and send that in.

kmusk01

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Network Engineer
Clubs

I will be talking with my guide next week when I am back from work. Hopefully by then they can also tell me movement on the truck if any.

I can send them proof of my approved loan amount, but will not be transferring anything until I have a scheduled date. I am able to wire transfer via BofA loan and my cash pretty quickly.

As for any doc issues I am relaying on them to handle it all. Since they are making me pay doc fee's they better handle everything. If I have to go to the DMV for anything then they need to pay me back Doc fees.

Thanks everyone~
Sponsored