Sponsored

Noticed something about the gear tunnel in the latest photos on social media

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I saw some photos floating around social media (the caption claimed they were RJ's truck) and noticed the gear tunnel looked different. I compared them to other pictures of the gear tunnel and there are definitely changes.

I recall reading that the 400 mile battery pack results in a loss of the under-rear-seat storage area and a small loss in space to the gear tunnel. Based on this factoid, I postulate that RJ's truck has the 400 mile "max" battery pack in it, and we have a good idea, now, of what loss of storage space will occur in the gear tunnel (minimal impact, imo).

Anyone agree or disagree?

Normal gear tunnel:

Rivian R1T R1S Noticed something about the gear tunnel in the latest photos on social media sLQoV1y

Possible 400 mile "MAX" pack gear tunnel:

Rivian R1T R1S Noticed something about the gear tunnel in the latest photos on social media pKAHCOm
Sponsored

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

I'd like to know what the backup method is when the door handle(s) won't deploy for whatever reason. Having Tesla-like flush handles is aesthetically appealing and functional for lower Cd. But what happens when it gets stuck? What's the alternate way to open the door?

OP
OP

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I'd like to know what the backup method is when the door handle(s) won't deploy for whatever reason. Having Tesla-like flush handles is aesthetically appealing and functional for lower Cd. But what happens when it gets stuck? What's the alternate way to open the door?
That's really not related to my post, so I think it's probably best addressed elsewhere, so we don't just change the subject willy-nilly.

However, it may be as simple as "push the left side of the handle with your right thumb" and it'll pop out.

Notice the handles "pivot" outward instead of the how the Tesla Model S handles extend out. If the Tesla mechanism fails, you've got problems. If the Rivian mechanism fails, perhaps it still works as a manual handle (like the Tesla Model 3/Y).

acacia328

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ram Limited, 2010 Ford F-150 Platinum, Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
I saw some photos floating around social media (the caption claimed they were RJ's truck) and noticed the gear tunnel looked different. I compared them to other pictures of the gear tunnel and there are definitely changes.

I recall reading that the 400 mile battery pack results in a loss of the under-rear-seat storage area and a small loss in space to the gear tunnel. Based on this factoid, I postulate that RJ's truck has the 400 mile "max" battery pack in it, and we have a good idea, now, of what loss of storage space will occur in the gear tunnel (minimal impact, imo).

Anyone agree or disagree?

Normal gear tunnel:

sLQoV1y.jpg

Possible 400 mile "MAX" pack gear tunnel:

pKAHCOm.jpg
Purely speculative on my part but I am assuming that this plays into whatever rail system they are developing for tunnel accessories like the kitchen.

Side note, the gear tunnel doors are now apparently manual/push button only now and will not be controllable via the console or mobile app per CS. Not known if can still open them from the fob though.

OP
OP

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Side note, the gear tunnel doors are now apparently manual/push button only now and will not be controllable via the console or mobile app per CS. Not known if can still open them from the fob though.
Interesting. Where/how did you find that out? If they are openable by the FOB then it seems odd to not have them openable via the console/app.

Sponsored

acacia328

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Interesting. Where/how did you find that out? If they are openable by the FOB then it seems odd to not have them openable via the console/app.
Chat with CS. I didn’t ask specifically about being able to open/release them with the fob so that is unknown. Although I can’t imagine you wouldn’t be able to do that as just a latch release.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

At the three events I have been at, I have never seen them open the gear tunnel electrically or electronically. It has always been with the push of a button on the forward bed rail above the door and then assisting it down to the full open position. Same with raising it. Lift it up and shut it like you would the tailgate or hood.

acacia328

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
At the three events I have been at, I have never seen them open the gear tunnel electrically or electronically. It has always been with the push of a button on the forward bed rail above the door and then assisting it down to the full open position. Same with raising it. Lift it up and shut it like you would the tailgate or hood.
CS stated that earlier show vehicles had electric latches but they had been removed due to cost and complexity to get vehicles out quicker. Some early images of the center UI implied, at least to me, that you could at least lock them from there but I do not believe it was ever demonstrated.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

CS stated that earlier show vehicles had electric latches but they had been removed due to cost and complexity to get vehicles out quicker. Some early images of the center UI implied, at least to me, that you could at least lock them from there but I do not believe it was ever demonstrated.
Locking is very different than opening and closing. Yes, the UI allowed for you to lock all doors, including the gear tunnels.

acacia328

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Locking is very different than opening and closing. Yes, the UI allowed for you to lock all doors, including the gear tunnels.
Yes I am aware those those are very different. However, with electric latches one could expect them to be able to release the latch allow the compartment to open much like pushing a tailgate release button in the cab of truck or on a keyfob which I do almost daily in my current truck. I would not expect those to be powered or handle closing. It was an anecdotal comment but perhaps I should have been more specific.

Sponsored

acacia328

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No I get what you are saying now....my apologies
no apologies needed my man. I was just clarifying for completeness which I should have done a better job of on the first comment.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

no apologies needed my man. I was just clarifying for completeness which I should have done a better job of on the first comment.
IF I had one hesitation with the electronic-opening would be that ONE guy in the parking lot that parked super close to me when I decide to park all the way at the back of the lot up against the curb...Should I open that without seeing that, what happens? Does the camera on the front quarter panel see that and stop that from happening?

Purely speculative on my part but I am assuming that this plays into whatever rail system they are developing for tunnel accessories like the kitchen.
I feel that this is more the case. A rail system for the kitchen and other accessories that we are all unaware of at this time.

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
IF I had one hesitation with the electronic-opening would be that ONE guy in the parking lot that parked super close to me when I decide to park all the way at the back of the lot up against the curb...Should I open that without seeing that, what happens? Does the camera on the front quarter panel see that and stop that from happening?
Exactly what I'm thinking. If you have a mechanical release mechanism above the gear tunnel, then there's a person able to "catch" the gear tunnel door as it falls open. The choice to skip an electronic mechanism sounds like a very reasonable decision to me.

OP
OP

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
We’ve had power-opening tailgates for years. We’ve somehow managed to be responsible enough not to just open them into other vehicles or parking garage walls, thus far.
Sponsored