Sponsored

Off-Road Package and Tire Decisions - HELP

Rugbym8t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram TRX
I would go for it! It's a good bundle and cheap way to get both the RUS and the spare if they even remotely interest you. As the wheels alone used to cost 2500 to upgrade, $2000 for the RUS, and $800 for the spare.

I wouldn't get an entire second set of wheels and tires as unless you do that swap today on your vehicles, it gets old fast to take your car in to swap wheels. And for the R1T rivian has to program the truck to swap the wheels for the speedo/ odo. So if you want the 20s just go for it.

With that said, I don't care much about the RUS as if you bust the battery let insurance handle it. And as someone that has driven the entire Pan American highway. If you are overlanding you aren't going to need it. And if you are seriously off roading, then the R1T isn't the right fit. Everything in between the standard shield should handle it.
Sponsored

SJCarter

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (Configured), Y perf, 996TT, '65 GT HiPo
Hey guys, new here, just got the email that I can configure my R1T! I am stuck on one decision. I don't want or need the off-road package, BUT, I think I like the style of the chunky off-road tires better than the sport tires. What do you guys think? I got the Forest Green, but debating between Sport Tires with the 22' black rims, or adding the off-road pack to get the thick tires and the 20' black rims. From what I understand, you have to order the off-road pack in order to be able to configure with the off-road tires. Any advice? Pros? Cons? Thank you!!
I had the exact same dilemma. The 20" AT wheels look amazing, but I didn't want to pay the $3,850 for the off-road package as I don't really go off road. But the day after I chose my configuration (earlier this week) my answer came to me! I was invited the next morning to the Shop to pick out a pre-configured truck. There was one available with the same color combination that I had already configured, plus the wheels that I want, but not the whole off-road package. So I selected the $2,500 wheel/tire upgrade without paying for (and getting) the full off road package, thus reducing my purchase price by $1,350. I'm happy. Now I just need to figure out what I want to do about a spare...... But I also now have a VIN assigned and the truck should show up much earlier as it's already manufactured and ready to ship/rail to me out in CA.

OldGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Grand Cherokee 4xe
Clubs

I originally had the max pack configured with the underbody shield and 20's. When they changed the entire maxpack configuration, I vacillated before finally deciding to drop it. So, I, like you, went through the agony of trying to decide what to do. I ended up moving to the 21's and keeping the underbody protection. Here was my basic thought process:

I will do some off-roading. Whenever I am off-road and catch a rock that flips up and I hear that loud smack on the undercarriage, I wince. I don't like to wince. I know that it cannot be added later and the cost of after-market options (which I assume will come) will likely be higher. Therefore, I decided to keep it. lf I were never going off-road I would not get it.

As for the wheel/tire choice, the problem is that people's efficiency/range is all over the place due to speed, ambient temperature, wind, driving style, etc.. What kind of range I will get is TBD. I have one specific trip I make regularly that would 'probably' be fine on the 20's. But, of course, what I will see in terms of range is unknown, so that 13+% increase in range is important to me. Since the 21's are 'free', I figured I'd just go with them and when the time comes to replace them, I'll actually have some data that applies to me and my needs. (At that point, I suspect there may be other options available for the 21's as well as other wheel and tire choices.) So I'll be able to make a more informed choice to either 1) replace tires with the same OEM 21's 2) keep the 21's but replace the rubber (assuming other options out there or 3) go for a whole new wheel/tire option. Obviously, since I had the 20's configured initially, I prefer the look and capability of the 20's.

(To be clear, the 21's are not as off-road capable as the 20's. In my research, it appears that the 21's are OK for some off-roading as long as you keep it tame. Since that is something I can control, I will until I get AT's.)

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Go 20” all terrains. More sidewall, less curbage. More comfort on potholes.

Sponsored

capitolm94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I own one with the 21” road tires and am driving a service loaner with the 20” AT tires.

the 20s look awesome and the taller stance looks great. Other than that I much prefer the 21:
-much quieter on the road
-on the same drive, per the dash screen, the 20s are about 2.0 mi/kWh vs 2.5 on the 21s

so I’m happy with the 21!

the one drawback is there is literally 1 tire made in the world in that size, the oem ones, and they are like $450 each right now. So we’ll see what happens when they need to be replaced.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
the one drawback is there is literally 1 tire made in the world in that size, the oem ones, and they are like $450 each right now. So we’ll see what happens when they need to be replaced.
the OEM 20's are also around that price. and BFG KO2 with the correct load rating are also that price... expensive tires for an expensive truck. Non-EV specific tires won't have that foam or whatever so road noise will increase, even in AS.

If my perpetual back and forth about switching to 20's ever keeps me sticking with 21's I am (so far) very happy with the OEM tires.

That said... if I originally got the 20's as I had wanted I probably would be happy and not even thinking about getting the 21's the way I am *always* thinking about switching to 20's lol. Which is why I say get the 20's! Make it look like a truck truck.

Last edited:

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

Yea I dont' do any off-roading at all. I drive mostly on the freeway from San Diego to Los Angeles back and forth. I just like the heftier appearance of the off-road tires. But I want to make sure they would still have a comfortable ride and handling for my usage.
As soon as you said you were from San Diego (my hometown), then you MUST have the 20's with AT tires. San Diego is the off-road capital of the planet and they look infinitely better IMO ;).

Rivian R1T R1S Off-Road Package and Tire Decisions - HELP 20230201_121158
Sponsored