Sponsored

Off-Road Package and Tire Decisions - HELP

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Thanks guys, and what about purely aesthetic? Which choice makes the truck appear 'taller' and bigger? The 22 inch Sport or the 20" Off-Road?
20" has a larger OD, so it will appear larger/taller (because it is).
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
If money isn't the main concern I would just get the off road package, although I feel the RUS is overkill unless you do some heavy duty off roading.

If you don't do much off roading I would probably get the 22s and later on you can always buy a set of off roading wheels/ tires for different conditions.

OP
OP

JDetroit

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne
I went with 20 brights and underbody (when it wasn’t a combo)
Figured an adventure vehicle needed it and if I ever had to sell it might help move it quicker and/or a better price point
Also figured it was easier to get 20” tires when needed
How are the 20's at high speeds, on the highway, etc?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
They ride well, although they are noticeably more noisy than the other options.

OP
OP

JDetroit

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne
Yea I dont' do any off-roading at all. I drive mostly on the freeway from San Diego to Los Angeles back and forth. I just like the heftier appearance of the off-road tires. But I want to make sure they would still have a comfortable ride and handling for my usage.

Sponsored

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
I have a set of 22s and 20s from Rivian. IMHO, the 20s are a bit too large for the size of the truck, but they look really good anyway. As mentioned, the 20s are marginally noisier, but not bad.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
They ride well, although they are noticeably more noisy than the other options.
I’ve only driven on 20’s with a loaner truck for a few days and did not notice a sound difference at all from the ultra smooth 21’s I have. I am sure there is a difference just wasn’t something I noticed.

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military
I have a set of 22s and 20s from Rivian. IMHO, the 20s are a bit too large for the size of the truck, but they look really good anyway. As mentioned, the 20s are marginally noisier, but not bad.
I too have both the 22" Darks as well as the 20" Darks and have ~3000 miles on each. The only appreciable difference I've noticed is the 22" tires handle very badly in the snow whereas the 20" tires are pretty darn good. My intent is to switch between the two winter or summer.

As far as looks - I think they both look really good but in very different ways. The 22" make the truck look really sporty and lean toward that "Sport Truck" perception. The 20" make the truck look beefy and tough and more "Off-Road Ready". Oh...and I do get considerably better mileage with the 22" set-up.

Of the two, I believe the 22" set-up handles a bit better at highway speeds but it's really negligible. I would be happy if either set-up was on all the time if I didn't have weather in Colorado to contend with. FWIW, I originally had the 20" configured but got the opportunity to get my exact truck from the Shop except for the wheels/tires so I jumped at it. As far as the 21" option, I'm not a fan because of the looks of the wheel (completely subjective) but also because of the limited availability and choice of replacement tires.

Finally, I also don't plan to do much serious off-roading but, with the RUS installed, I feel I have a bit of "insurance" if I do. May help with resale if someone is looking for that and I don't believe it can be added after manufacture. That said, one could expect there will be aftermarket options available in the future.

Just my $.02. Good luck and congratulations on the new truck - whatever you choose, you're gonna love it!

Last edited:

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I’ve only driven on 20’s with a loaner truck for a few days and did not notice a sound difference at all from the ultra smooth 21’s I have. I am sure there is a difference just wasn’t something I noticed.
It's not as bad as some of the other "offroad" tires I've heard on other vehicles, but I would say there is a pronounced difference and they are certainly louder.

RivianRiverRat

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla 3, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Probably same comment as Commodore about noise but I’ve really only had 20 ATs on my other trucks so nothing to compare against
I drive 100 miles a day back and forth to work and then a few dirt roads and pastures on the weekends
I went off road just for peace of mind in the end

Last edited:

Sponsored

RabidRat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 03 S2K
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Yea I dont' do any off-roading at all. I drive mostly on the freeway from San Diego to Los Angeles back and forth. I just like the heftier appearance of the off-road tires. But I want to make sure they would still have a comfortable ride and handling for my usage.
The ride will actually be more comfortable on the 20s since the tires are beefier and soak up more of the bumps.

At the same time they're going to be louder though. Partially offset by the RUS :).

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
you will lose a few miles on the 20’s compared to the 22’s and quite a few miles when comparing the 20’s and 21’s.

I went with the 20’s and recently added the Underbody Shield. I wanted the peace of mind (even though I know I don’t need it)

I think the 20’s look “right” on the Rivian, but understand why people like the more sporty look of the 22’s.

The 20’s will be a little more comfortable, might not handle quite as well on road, but will still be good/great. You might get a few more miles out of a set of 20’s too.

The way I see it is, you only live once, get what your heart wants and what will bring you the most joy.

OP
OP

JDetroit

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne
you will lose a few miles on the 20’s compared to the 22’s and quite a few miles when comparing the 20’s and 21’s.

I went with the 20’s and recently added the Underbody Shield. I wanted the peace of mind (even though I know I don’t need it)

I think the 20’s look “right” on the Rivian, but understand why people like the more sporty look of the 22’s.

The 20’s will be a little more comfortable, might not handle quite as well on road, but will still be good/great. You might get a few more miles out of a set of 20’s too.

The way I see it is, you only live once, get what your heart wants and what will bring you the most joy.
My heart wants the rugged beefed up look of the 20's and the sporty sleek look of the 22's : )

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

My heart wants the rugged beefed up look of the 20's and the sporty sleek look of the 22's : )
Your heart apparently wants to pick up a second set of wheels when you get your truck. 😉

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military
Then order with one and get the other out of the Gear Shop...that's what I did but, I warn you, it is expensive. I did it because it came with the 22s and I HAD to have the 20s for the winter...

And you have to go to Rivian every time you want to swap so they can reprogram the truck...
Sponsored