First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Where do you find these part cost information?

I want to ask you all your opinion on the following:
Based on the picture below, what would you do?
(At the bottom black plastic area, there is a horizontal crack. Water gets in thru there)

a) Pay ~$1200 to replace
b) Put PPF to prevent water getting in

WDYT?

IMG_3726.jpg
Put me in the replace camp. It's a brand new truck and as such it's worth it to replace it. Why create more damage now? If it was a 2015 with 100K miles on it I'd probably feel differently.
Sponsored

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
Is USAA your insurance or THEIR insurance? If it's their insurance, then it's in their interest to dawdle and make this experience as painful as possible for you - and thus limit their financial exposure. In that case, I say call your insurance and get them involved. When I had a similar incident happen in the past, I called my insurance (State Farm and the other was Progressive) and State Farm said, "This was obviously not your fault. We will will make sure your car gets paid for it and make sure they pay for it."

If you are also USAA, call them and file a counter claim. Regardless USAA has to pay for it, so it makes sense to get it done quickly.

OP
OP
ohseedee

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Is USAA your insurance or THEIR insurance? If it's their insurance, then it's in their interest to dawdle and make this experience as painful as possible for you - and thus limit their financial exposure. In that case, I say call your insurance and get them involved. When I had a similar incident happen in the past, I called my insurance (State Farm and the other was Progressive) and State Farm said, "This was obviously not your fault. We will will make sure your car gets paid for it and make sure they pay for it."

If you are also USAA, call them and file a counter claim. Regardless USAA has to pay for it, so it makes sense to get it done quickly.
No my insurance is USAA, their insurance is AAA. No fault has been determined yet, but Im sure the other driver will be determined at fault, so AAA will ultimately pay. I started the process with my insurance, USAA, and was going to let them sort it out.

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

It looks like the bumper also popped out a little. Hopefully the clips aren't damaged and can go back into place.

Airbuswillie

First Name
Willie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Model 3, ‘99 Suburban, ‘24 GMC1500 AT4
Occupation
Airline pilot
Some asshole in a Jeep couldn’t see that bright ass Rivian Yellow truck right behind them? Wow.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ohseedee

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Some asshole in a Jeep couldn’t see that bright ass Rivian Yellow truck right behind them? Wow.
Right. Ironically, the actually part that poked my R1T's right eye out was the protruding backup cam that should have saw the impending collision coming.

After taking another look at this picture, I'm thankfully it wasn't a "rear-end" collision ;)

Rivian R1T R1S One-eyed R1T :( Headlight broken by a Jeep 1681153468027

Airbuswillie

First Name
Willie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Model 3, ‘99 Suburban, ‘24 GMC1500 AT4
Occupation
Airline pilot
Right. Ironically, the actually part that poked my R1T's right eye out was the protruding backup cam that should have saw the impending collision coming.

After taking another look at this picture, I'm thankfully it wasn't a "rear-end" collision ;)

1681153468027.png
That’s amazing and sad for the Jeep driver. Amazing how awful people are at driving still even with all of the “help” that manufacturers and legislators keep mandating be added onto vehicles.

cbaker7

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T; Porsche Boxster
Occupation
Government Affairs
@ohseedee I'll pay shipping if you want to get rid of the broken headlight after you get a replacement! I'd offer to buy it but I honestly have no idea what it would be worth- I just like cool trinkets, obviously couldn't actually use the headlight.

OP
OP
ohseedee

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
@ohseedee I'll pay shipping if you want to get rid of the broken headlight after you get a replacement! I'd offer to buy it but I honestly have no idea what it would be worth- I just like cool trinkets, obviously couldn't actually use the headlight.
lol actually I never would have thought about keeping it, but it still works. might be a cool light for my office wall. Just wire it up to a 12v power supply. Thanks for the idea! And sorry, I'm keeping it! :)

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
If you keep the truck for long and internals on headlight fail, you will have spares 😀

Sponsored

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
I finally made it to Pismo Beach. The Oceana dunes just opened and the CA park rangers are giving cars instructions on how to cross the creek. One of the park rangers is talking to me at my window while I’m in park. To my horror, the jeep wrangler 2 car lengths in front of me begins to quickly back up. The ranger and I scream to stop, but was too late. The mounted spare tire made impact, blinding my 8 week old R1T. Having a law enforment officer as your witness is good, but still going to be a rough ride dealing with USAA. They already sent me on a wild goose chase to a service center that I knew wouldn’t deal with Rivians. I laughed when the guy at the service center said “you are not actually dropping that off here are you?” The truck is completely drivable (will also need some repairs to the bumper and the front end), but the Rivian certified repair center did prepare me for a long drop off and wait period for parts and insurance approvals. I’m more than willing to pay out of pocket to keep my truck with me while we wait then work to get refunded by their or my insurance. Anyone have luck doing something like that? Ultimatley all repairs should be paid by the wrangler’s insurance (AAA) as it’s 0% my fault and the ranger is going to file a report backing that up.

And by the way, because my head light is now exposed, I didn’t risk the creek crossing at pismo beach, so ended up just turning around and heading home while the wrangler continued on with his fun filled day with zero damage.

BB1618D6-A579-4E57-B0E1-0BB64E00835D.jpeg
Rivian will keep the truck with you. It's drivable. They'll take it in for write-up, then you can come back when parts are ready. At fault insurance should provide you a basic ICE rental car.

OP
OP
ohseedee

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Rivian will keep the truck with you. It's drivable. They'll take it in for write-up, then you can come back when parts are ready. At fault insurance should provide you a basic ICE rental car.
Rivian deferred me to a to a 3rd party Rivian certified collision center. However, your note gives me the idea that perhaps I go though the service center on replacing the headlight and if the clips are not broken push back in the bumper only. The paint/dent work could be done by someone else. When I made the appointment for the 3rd party collision center they did admit they'd never seen a Rivian before, so this might be a good option.

Also big surprise, my insurance, USAA, actually just cut me a check less my deductible based on their estimate of $2,150 for the repairs. While I feel like it's ultimately going to be more requiring a supplemental, I have cash (some) in hand and have options. Maybe go get the headlight fixed from Rivian first (99% of the problem), then go to the collision center for any body/work work later. I might have to check with USAA first to see if that's an issue, but since they are giving me the money vs pay for the repairs directly I don't see why that would be a problem and I'd just add up the total cost and work on getting reimbursed.

I do plan on eventually getting my deductible back from the other parties insurance, but that's a problem for another day.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Rivian deferred me to a to a 3rd party Rivian certified collision center. However, your note gives me the idea that perhaps I go though the service center on replacing the headlight and if the clips are not broken push back in the bumper only. The paint/dent work could be done by someone else. When I made the appointment for the 3rd party collision center they did admit they'd never seen a Rivian before, so this might be a good option.

Also big surprise, my insurance, USAA, actually just cut me a check less my deductible based on their estimate of $2,150 for the repairs. While I feel like it's ultimately going to be more requiring a supplemental, I have cash (some) in hand and have options. Maybe go get the headlight fixed from Rivian first (99% of the problem), then go to the collision center for any body/work work later. I might have to check with USAA first to see if that's an issue, but since they are giving me the money vs pay for the repairs directly I don't see why that would be a problem and I'd just add up the total cost and work on getting reimbursed.

I do plan on eventually getting my deductible back from the other parties insurance, but that's a problem for another day.
Just make sure you get the scope of repair listed in the settlement done for $2,150. They won't pay supplemental for your shop being more expensive for cash pay, but they will for additional work needed or found.

OP
OP
ohseedee

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Just make sure you get the scope of repair listed in the settlement done for $2,150. They won't pay supplemental for your shop being more expensive for cash pay, but they will for additional work needed or found.
Yep. they did itemize it. The thing I think they may have missed is if the top corner of the front end that's sticking out. They are assuming it can just be pushed back in vs needing parts. That's TBD

Riv_Ian

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi TTS, Triumph TR6, Tiger Explorer
Occupation
CEO
Sorry to see this having happened to you. Must be very frustrating.

I believe people like TWraps sell PPF for just the headlights. You could PPF them temporarily to prevent water intrusion and, with a little care, should be able to reuse the PPF on the new headlight.
Sponsored