Sponsored

Ontario Service Centre Location

Enjen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M240i
Clubs

Curious if most that have received their vehicle went with a rivian charger or another brand? Any lessons learned? Just confirmed my order online so hoping to hear soon on next steps.
Well, I don't have my vehicle yet.... But if it helps in anyway, I plan to go with a Chargepoint Flex as it it's cable is reported to have by far the best cold-weather performance (ie, it doesn't turn into a super stiff unwieldy PITA when it's below freezing out). My charger will be outside though, so if yours will live in a heated garage, this factor may not mean much.
Sponsored

Reactions: GRC

GRC

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
still figuring it out
Clubs

Well, I don't have my vehicle yet.... But if it helps in anyway, I plan to go with a Chargepoint Flex as it it's cable is reported to have by far the best cold-weather performance (ie, it doesn't turn into a super stiff unwieldy PITA when it's below freezing out). My charger will be outside though, so if yours will live in a heated garage, this factor may not mean much.
Thanks...mine will most likely be indoors in the garage. Do most of these chargers do 48A or do they vary based on the charger? Still need to some research and get an electrician in to do the electrical

Enjen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M240i
Clubs

Thanks...mine will most likely be indoors in the garage. Do most of these chargers do 48A or do they vary based on the charger? Still need to some research and get an electrician in to do the electrical
They don't all do 48A. For example, the Grizzl-e chargers are a popular option (and a Canadian product to boot), but they only do 40A.

Some will also do more than 48A, if you think that may be of future value to you.

Feuros

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus RS, Subaru Forester
Occupation
IT
I plan to get the Tesla Universal charger. It's 48A and supports both plug types, so it's a bit more future-proof.

cdnlazer

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Clubs

I've been plugged into the Rivian charger since December 31st. I've had no issues whatsoever (cold, performance, etc.). My neighbours might just be a little annoyed by the super bright green charging light in the middle of the night though.

Sponsored

Wing

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Edition LG/OC 20-inch
I went with an emporia charger as it was on sale at the time I bought it for less than the Rivian pre-hike price.

If you have pre-hike price then you can get the Rivian charger if not it's way way way overpriced.

If I were to do it again, I would get the Tesla universal charger for future proofing, unfortunately for me I bought my charger over a year ago when it was on sale.

Shaggy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1S, Tesla Model S
Occupation
Banker
I’d also go with a Tesla universal, and get an adapter like Tesla Tap (cheaper options on Amazon) for when you go on long trips (so that you can plug into Tesla destination chargers at hotels, etc).

I already had a Tesla charger at home and just got the Tesla tap - my “home made” Tesla universal charger that I can take on the road with me!

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 GMC Sierra 2500, 2012 Chevy Volt.
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

I plan to get the Tesla Universal charger. It's 48A and supports both plug types, so it's a bit more future-proof.

I've seen quite a few chargers for my Chevy Volt and my sister's Pacifica Phev, and can tell you there isn't much difference between the fancy name brands and the cheap chinese knock-offs you find on Amazon. The Chinese ones seem to last as long for only 30% of the price.

Geocvl

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, Mini Cooper S
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I've seen quite a few chargers for my Chevy Volt and my sister's Pacifica Phev, and can tell you there isn't much difference between the fancy name brands and the cheap chinese knock-offs you find on Amazon. The Chinese ones seem to last as long for only 30% of the price.
Those cars charge at 7.2Kw for the the Volt and 6.6Kw for the Pacifica much lower than the Rivian. I would be careful if you are expecting those chargers to last if you hook them up to run at 48 amps.

The electrician that upgraded my panel said he has been getting a lot of calls about melted handles for those cheap chargers when the owners try and charge at 48amps.
Sponsored