Sponsored

Outside temp reads too high?

cpd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T RB/OC/20
Seems to be worse if truck is in the sun. In the garage seems to be ok but, outside typically reads 5-10 too high, the sunnier it gets the worse it gets.
Anyone else has that issue? Have a mobile appointment coming up so will add to the list.
Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Only like every other car, for a few minutes if it has been sitting in the sun without running the temp will skew high until you've went down the road a bit and it calibrates correctly. It really hasn't been any different than any other vehicle I've had in that regard.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Only like every other car, for a few minutes if it has been sitting in the sun without running the temp will skew high until you've went down the road a bit and it calibrates correctly. It really hasn't been any different than any other vehicle I've had in that regard.
I kinda disagree. My Raptor and Jeep wrangler are usually within 2 degrees of the actual temp.

mindstormsguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some
I found the same thing, the Rivian reads a lot warmer than other vehicles. I don’t know where the temp sensor is, but it must be in an area without much airflow.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I kinda disagree. My Raptor and Jeep wrangler are usually within 2 degrees of the actual temp.
Immediately? As in when you get in after it's been sitting the sun for a few hours they instantly register the correct outside temp? I've never had a car that did that. It usually takes a few minutes of the displayed temp either rising or falling to match the actual outside temp.

Sponsored

DirtyJester

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 kona ev
Occupation
Millwright
Agreed. I’ve never had a car show the temperature accurately when first starting the car. Although the kona Ev I’m driving has been the closest but even it still is out at first when hot out.

OP
OP

cpd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T RB/OC/20
Haven't seen that issue on any other car from many brands, typically reads roughly in line with outside. The Rivian stays at the same temp for a long while ie it doesn't cool down/calibrate. Yesterday it was reading 82f when outside temp was 73, great day in November but def not 80+ ;)
No issue when the car is in the garage, temp accurate there but clearly sensitive to the sun it seems. I added a ticket as I have a mobile appointment and got a call today. Tech support was a bit confused b/w app and vehicle temp but let's see what the tech says during the appointment, will report back.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
My dark grey old Lexus always showed temp 5+ degrees warmer on hot days. Would lower as I drove. Tesla has been accurate but im wondering if they just pull temp data from the internet vs actual outside temp sensor.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Immediately? As in when you get in after it's been sitting the sun for a few hours they instantly register the correct outside temp? I've never had a car that did that. It usually takes a few minutes of the displayed temp either rising or falling to match the actual outside temp.
No not immediately, BUT the thermometer is ALWAYS off by roughly 10 degrees. It doesn’t matter how long you drive it

Phrogz

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
phrogz.net
Vehicles
'66 Ford Jeep, '01 SLK 32AMG, '10 Wrangler, '19 Q7
Occupation
Autonomous Driving Software
My Raptor and Jeep wrangler are usually within 2 degrees of the actual temp.
FWIW my 2010 Wrangler seems to be close also...except when it chooses to show the temperature from when last drove and fails to update it until 10 minutes later. I've been driving with it showing ~40 degrees when it's ~70 degrees out, and it stubbornly refuses to update for many, many miles.

Sponsored

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
I am in the camp of 'every car is wrong'. My LR's were notoriously bad at this until, as others have stated, the car had been moving a while. Leaving them in the sun usually resulted in readings 20+F over ambient temperature. I never figured out where the sensor was but assumed it was a piece of black somewhere sitting in the sun soaking all that extra heat up.

I find my R1 to be pretty good in this regard, though still a few degrees high when sitting in the sun.

GringoFeo

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
It has gotten better for me (had my truck since May), but it's usually 5-10 degrees higher than actual temps. And it's not a direct sunlight thing because I have covered parking at work (CA) and in the summer it still isn't accurate

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Seems like everything reads high in these trucks; Temp, Speedo, tire pressure.

Tommy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Raptor, 2003 HD Fatboy
Seems to be worse if truck is in the sun. In the garage seems to be ok but, outside typically reads 5-10 too high, the sunnier it gets the worse it gets.
Anyone else has that issue? Have a mobile appointment coming up so will add to the list.
Yes, this is true. I am hoping that it can be recalibrated in a future software update.

I have compared the difference between the R1T and my Raptor and RX350. R1 is consistently 5 to 8 degrees F higher than the others (which are usually both the same).

Not a big deal, but definitely not an accurate reading.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
My outside temp is like 15 degrees warmer than reality. Is this something a SC can address?
Sponsored