Sponsored

Phone upgrade: any issues with PAAK phone as key or with app?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hungrycaterpillar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I've had issues with PAAK since my Pixel 5 updated to Android 13. I have the same issues in my Tesla so the issue appears to be with how A13 handles bluetooth.

For those of you for whom PAAK works reliably what version of Android are you running?

It's so frustrating because it was rock solid until A13. I didn't even bother carrying the key card! Now I have to restart bluetooth or my phone virtually every day, sometimes multiple times a day.
Sponsored

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military
I've had issues with PAAK since my Pixel 5 updated to Android 13. I have the same issues in my Tesla so the issue appears to be with how A13 handles bluetooth.

For those of you for whom PAAK works reliably what version of Android are you running?

It's so frustrating because it was rock solid until A13. I didn't even bother carrying the key card! Now I have to restart bluetooth or my phone virtually every day, sometimes multiple times a day.
Yep...Android 13 here as well (S23 Ultra). Maybe 13 is the problem. If I restart my phone every time I get near my truck it works fine. Works fine until after some period of time (not sure how long), at which point a restart is required again.

I do not like Apple phones but am considering a switch if this continues...

Bottomline: I don't believe this to be a truck problem...it definitely seems phone related...Ugh...

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Yep...Android 13 here as well (S23 Ultra). Maybe 13 is the problem. If I restart my phone every time I get near my truck it works fine. Works fine until after some period of time (not sure how long), at which point a restart is required again.

I do not like Apple phones but am considering a switch if this continues...

Bottomline: I don't believe this to be a truck problem...it definitely seems phone related...Ugh...
In my conversation with support, they confirmed that Android 13 is the issue.

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
In my conversation with support, they confirmed that Android 13 is the issue.
Thanks for the confirmation. Wow...nothing induces feelings of helplessness more than being at the mercy of Samsung for a fix. 💀

Sponsored

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Thanks for the confirmation. Wow...nothing induces feelings of helplessness more than being at the mercy of Samsung for a fix. 💀
The tech made it sound like Rivian was working on it. It didn't sound like a Samsung specific issue, more an Android 13 one.

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Also...interesting side note: My wife's Pixel 7 Pro is also on Android 13 and it works fine as PAAK. Possibly a joint issue between S23 and Android 13.

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
The tech made it sound like Rivian was working on it. It didn't sound like a Samsung specific issue, more an Android 13 one.
Great to know Rivian is also looking at how to fix. Previous comments weren't intended to argue your point that it's not necessarily a Samsung specific issue - I hope you're right about that! And my sample size of one Pixel 7 Pro and one S23 Ultra are likely not indicative of the issue as a whole :). I have more faith in Rivian helping us than Samsung any day...

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Great to know Rivian is also looking at how to fix. Previous comments weren't intended to argue your point that it's not necessarily a Samsung specific issue - I hope you're right about that! And my sample size of one Pixel 7 Pro and one S23 Ultra are likely not indicative of the issue as a whole :). I have more faith in Rivian helping us than Samsung any day...
I very well might be wrong. Or the tech I spoke to might be wrong. Or it might be something with Samsung or Google or whoknowswhat.

I'm just glad we're all talking about this. The more visibility it has, the better luck it's noted and fixed. :)

If you're reading this post and it's not working for you, PLEASE put in a ticket for it with Rivian. More data points are better and be sure to include details about your phone and whatnot.

Doug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, 2002 Ford
Occupation
Business Owner
I have a note 9 and have been having the same issues. The phone will unlock the doors and turn on the screens but it will not let me drive unless I scan the card on the door. It works with the phone about half the time and the other half I need to scan the card. That is one thing that makes this so frustrating is that it is not consistent. Will work once then not the next. I tried a soft reset on the Truck. From what others have said it may need an update from either Rivian or Samsung to fix it. If that is the case no amount of resetting the phone or truck will fix the issue.

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I have a note 9 and have been having the same issues. The phone will unlock the doors and turn on the screens but it will not let me drive unless I scan the card on the door. It works with the phone about half the time and the other half I need to scan the card. That is one thing that makes this so frustrating is that it is not consistent. Will work once then not the next. I tried a soft reset on the Truck. From what others have said it may need an update from either Rivian or Samsung to fix it. If that is the case no amount of resetting the phone or truck will fix the issue.
Just out of curiosity, have you been waiting longer than 30 sec. between unlock and 'starting' the truck? There are a few times this has bitten me as I'm saying goodbye to my wife in the morning, and I forget to tap the brake. I used to be able to just lock and unlock via the app, and it would recognize the PaaK again but, recently, I have had to present a different key.

Doug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, 2002 Ford
Occupation
Business Owner
no it is within 30 seconds usually. Once it worked after a minute or so. I was getting the card out and then it worked.

RivianuserR1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40, Volkswagen E-Golf
My wife and I used to have pixel phones. PAAK almost never worked. We switched to iPhones six weeks ago for a few reasons but PAAK functionality was the main reason. Our iPhones have worked flawlessly as PAAK and it has been wonderful.

We live in an iPhone world and we figured it was time to just embrace it.

hungrycaterpillar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Also...interesting side note: My wife's Pixel 7 Pro is also on Android 13 and it works fine as PAAK. Possibly a joint issue between S23 and Android 13.
My spouse and I both have issues on Pixel 5s.

I find that toggling bluetooth off and on usually fixes it and if not then rebooting the phone always fixes it.

We recently came across the recommendation to enable the "Disable Bluetooth A2DP hardware offload" setting (must enable developer mode first) which has been promising so far but it's too early to say if it's a definitive fix.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.