OP

Tanquen

First Name
Hope you enjoye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Nissan Frontier
Can you email RJ with these pics, this seems insane. I’d seen Tesla issues early on in model Y production but this is on another level. I remember Elon making a comment about Tesla buyers and recommending you either buy the very first batch (because there is scrutiny and higher QC) or buy after the production ramp up, but never during the production ramp because there would be lots of QC issues. I found it funny he admitted to that in an interview.
I’d be really frustrated with this build after all the waiting. Sorry you’re going throwing this.
Not sure it would do any good but if anybody's got his email address I could forward it along. I'm sure I'm not the only guy with issues like this. I guess they just hope the bad trucks go to people who don't notice things or don't care.
Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I wish you the best with a refund or replacement vehicle. Your vehicles assembly quality is the worst that I have seen on the forum. It’s truly atrocious and unacceptable.

I have no idea how your truck made it made past Rivian’s final QC inspection. Are these QC “inspections” being performed by entry level $18 an hour factory workers who don’t have a clue?

Last edited:
OP
OP

Tanquen

First Name
Hope you enjoye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Nissan Frontier
It's been almost 2 weeks with no reply from them. After I sent the second batch of issues they called just after 8pm on a Sunday just to say that they got the list and pictures I'd sent to my guide. Then after I sent the third batch they called in the morning but I was already in a work meeting. They left a message simply saying they added the issues to the list.

When I sent the third list of issues to the guide I said this was more than I signed up for and that I did not feel good about the local body shop or Rivian's ability to correct all the issues without causing more. When I gave them the first group of issues I told them I had concerns about keeping the truck. I don't see how they are going to itemize all trim pieces and repaint everything without causing more issues. One small spot looks to be peeling, will there be more? It's possible they could fix it all but this is now way more than just repainting the very obvious marks in the gear tunnel that at least one or two Rivian employees saw and just kind of shrugged their shoulders and delivered the truck anyway. I specifically asked them to take their time and make sure that the truck was ready, fearing these sorts of issues.

In the last two emails I told them that I think there's too many issues and that they need to replace the vehicle. If they want to sell this to somebody else that doesn't care about all the issues and bad paint that may be a better option for them. I don't see how they're going to disassemble this vehicle and get all the paint and pieces factory new and put it back together without having more issues. I really just don't want to go any further down the, we'll try to fix it and then try to fix the fix path. With no traffic I'm over an hour one way and I know it sounds silly but what about getting paint chips, a cracked window or in an accident on the way there and back.

When I picked up the truck, after asking about a due bill for the issues the manager said don't worry Rivian wants a lifetime customer and they even get me a different truck if I want. I don't want to be a total jerk but I feel like I should be compensated for my time even if they fixed the vehicle or replaced it. Where is there incentive not to do this? It's not the end of the world, but I do not think it's fair to ask someone buying a vehicle of this or any price to go through all this without any compensation. Sure they're offering to fix it but as they no longer deliver the trucks, I had to get a ride and spent my others time going down to pick up the vehicle when they knew had issues and now they want me to deliver the truck to them taking more of my time and see if they can fix all of the issues. I'm guessing I'm going to be going back there at least one or two more times, that’s in addition to other known time delayed issues like the clunking/knocking suspension sounds and auto tonneau cover, that it seems will most likely happen at some point in the near term.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

It's been almost 2 weeks with no reply from them. After I sent the second batch of issues they called just after 8pm on a Sunday just to say that they got the list and pictures I'd sent to my guide. Then after I sent the third batch they called in the morning but I was already in a work meeting. They left a message simply saying they added the issues to the list.

When I sent the third list of issues to the guide I said this was more than I signed up for and that I did not feel good about the local body shop or Rivian's ability to correct all the issues without causing more. When I gave them the first group of issues I told them I had concerns about keeping the truck. I don't see how they are going to itemize all trim pieces and repaint everything without causing more issues. One small spot looks to be peeling, will there be more? It's possible they could fix it all but this is now way more than just repainting the very obvious marks in the gear tunnel that at least one or two Rivian employees saw and just kind of shrugged their shoulders and delivered the truck anyway. I specifically asked them to take their time and make sure that the truck was ready, fearing these sorts of issues.

In the last two emails I told them that I think there's too many issues and that they need to replace the vehicle. If they want to sell this to somebody else that doesn't care about all the issues and bad paint that may be a better option for them. I don't see how they're going to disassemble this vehicle and get all the paint and pieces factory new and put it back together without having more issues. I really just don't want to go any further down the, we'll try to fix it and then try to fix the fix path. With no traffic I'm over an hour one way and I know it sounds silly but what about getting paint chips, a cracked window or in an accident on the way there and back.

When I picked up the truck, after asking about a due bill for the issues the manager said don't worry Rivian wants a lifetime customer and they even get me a different truck if I want. I don't want to be a total jerk but I feel like I should be compensated for my time even if they fixed the vehicle or replaced it. Where is there incentive not to do this? It's not the end of the world, but I do not think it's fair to ask someone buying a vehicle of this or any price to go through all this without any compensation. Sure they're offering to fix it but as they no longer deliver the trucks, I had to get a ride and spent my others time going down to pick up the vehicle when they knew had issues and now they want me to deliver the truck to them taking more of my time and see if they can fix all of the issues. I'm guessing I'm going to be going back there at least one or two more times, that’s in addition to other known time delayed issues like the clunking/knocking suspension sounds and auto tonneau cover, that it seems will most likely happen at some point in the near term.
Compensation? You lost me. You shouldn’t have been delivered a truck with the problems, they should fix or replace the vehicle, but looking for additional compensation? Just return the truck (if you can) and be done with it.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

It's just early adopter Tax.....

Sponsored

OP
OP

Tanquen

First Name
Hope you enjoye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Nissan Frontier
Compensation? You lost me. You shouldn’t have been delivered a truck with the problems, they should fix or replace the vehicle, but looking for additional compensation? Just return the truck (if you can) and be done with it.
Not hard to understand, not something companies like to do but they cost me time and money. It's ok for others to get paid for their time but not if you are a customer? Don't they now want $50 a trip and $7 a mile for a tow if the vehicle is drivable? Why should I not get at least that and an hourly rate for helping fix their known and unknown issues? If they have to pay folks for their time then maybe they'll add another guy to the line and not deliver trucks like this to people. Maybe…

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I would have taken a fresh replacement truck in exchange.

Compensation? Now you are pushing your luck. First year buyers from a brand new car company can expect issues. It’s called the early adopter tax.

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
I'd demand a replacement vehicle and call it good. Totally unacceptable number of issues. Some of the pictures are truly cringeworthy.

OP
OP

Tanquen

First Name
Hope you enjoye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Nissan Frontier

Compensation? Now you are pushing your luck. First year buyers from a brand new car company can expect issues. It’s called the early adopter tax.
I understand that's the way companies treat people but it's not fair or correct. I want somebody to come out to my house and do something they expect to be paid for their time. They charge enough to cover insurance and gas and whatever else with an hourly rate. For sure they knew about some of the issues. Anybody that wants to see the truck wants to see the gear tunnel doors and they all immediately go, Oh, what's up with the paint? At what point is asking too much? Everyone your interfacing with is being paid for their time.

It's not even the main issue or point, but it's a feeling for sure. Just like folks that are disappointed that they removed the power and the front trunk without telling anybody. But they reserve the right to make any changes. Or that, to this day they still show color matched speaker grills and yet they're delivering trucks with black grills that I think look not great but they have the right to make any changes they want and you can just return the truck if within 7 days and so on and so forth.

Mcfly Rivian

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Realtor
I agree you should ask for a new truck. Yours is by far the worst I have seen. My vin in the 8k range is pretty close to perfect and has had zero mechanical issues so far. I've had two service appointments for minor issues. Others have had replacement trucks for less problems. They can make yours a demo driver/loaner.

Don't let this get you down on the brand. Yours is in the minority. Most vehicles are great.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Tanquen

First Name
Hope you enjoye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Nissan Frontier
There has been no offer to replace the truck. No response in almost two weeks. I'm not sure what they will do. I think the trucks you get now don't have the auto tonneau cover. I'm ok with that but there is no option for retrofit latter when they have a working one and you just have the little empty box where it would have gone in the bed?

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T

These QC issues have been a consistent problem of many vehicle makers with new models, let alone new startup EV makers. Tesla has only recently been doing a better job with QC from their newer factories from Texas and Berlin (at least based on reviews ive watched). My model Y performance had terrible alignment issues, had to go to a body shop to get taken apart and put back together. BUT i feel like while most issues were fixed (some things got worse), overall that whole process of them "fixing" major alignment issues is likely worse for wear, especially on a new car and especially if its not an amazing body shop that has a lot of experience with the vehicle. I get some weird creaks and pop sounds when going over speed bumps etc sometimes and other Model Y's ive been in that didnt have the misalignments, and thus didnt have to get the body work done, dont have the same weird sounds. Not a deal breaker in any sense for me, car still drives nice and most of the time no sounds or rattles.

Also the compensation thing was a bit weird for me. I've owned other cars that required recall maintenance, while a different situation, it was still inconvenient. It was just the process of getting things fixed. With my Tesla, same thing, it was inconvenient, but I chose to purchase a car from them knowing these were common issues, but also knowing they would "fix" them. Rivian seems like its in a similar situation.

OP
OP

Tanquen

First Name
Hope you enjoye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Nissan Frontier
These QC issues have been a consistent problem of many vehicle makers with new models, let alone new startup EV makers. Tesla has only recently been doing a better job with QC from their newer factories from Texas and Berlin (at least based on reviews ive watched). My model Y performance had terrible alignment issues, had to go to a body shop to get taken apart and put back together. BUT i feel like while most issues were fixed (some things got worse), overall that whole process of them "fixing" major alignment issues is likely worse for wear, especially on a new car and especially if its not an amazing body shop that has a lot of experience with the vehicle. I get some weird creaks and pop sounds when going over speed bumps etc sometimes and other Model Y's ive been in that didnt have the misalignments, and thus didnt have to get the body work done, dont have the same weird sounds. Not a deal breaker in any sense for me, car still drives nice and most of the time no sounds or rattles.

Also the compensation thing was a bit weird for me. I've owned other cars that required recall maintenance, while a different situation, it was still inconvenient. It was just the process of getting things fixed. With my Tesla, same thing, it was inconvenient, but I chose to purchase a car from them knowing these were common issues, but also knowing they would "fix" them. Rivian seems like its in a similar situation.
For what it's worth, my Model S didn't have any of these of issues. They did add some nicks and scratches when many of the automakers had to do those airbag recalls.

Again, I understand that's not how things are normally done, but why shouldn't everybody be compensated for their time? Because many automakers wouldn't be able to survive, if in addition to paying their employees for their time for a recall, they also had to pay the customers for their time. That doesn't mean that the customers time is worthless and shouldn't be paid for. It would be an incentive for them to not deliver a poor quality product.

It's not like I went to the local store and bought a $50 electrical device and found that it didn't work and the next time I was out and about, went to the store and grabbed another one. I think they knew about at least some of the issues. Again, that's just the way I feel. I've not asked them for that but I totally feel like asking them for it. I'm getting older and life is short and on top of everything else, I spent my first time in an emergency room last month and I really don't feel safe driving out of town. That's my own personal issue, but again it's something else that I have to deal with.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
....In the last two emails I told them that I think there's too many issues and that they need to replace the vehicle.

....When I picked up the truck, after asking about a due bill for the issues the manager said don't worry Rivian wants a lifetime customer and they even get me a different truck if I want.
....There has been no offer to replace the truck.
So which is it? Agreed a replacement is warranted.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Yikes... what a nightmare regarding an $80K vehicle. The paint is a mess, WTF happened to that truck?

You have only two options at this juncture:

1) Easiest option.. demand a replacement truck. Maybe you can get one from the "store" that still has a powered tonneau. Otherwise, live with a manual or no tonneau.
2) Live with your current vehicle and slowly get everything (that matters to you) repaired over time. That will cost you in time and effort.

You're not doing yourself any favors by not deciding what to do. You're fortunate you logged complaints early on if you want to go with a replacement vehicle. Because of that it may still be possible even if you're outside the 7 day return window. But, wait too long.. even with proof you complained from day one- they might not feel obligated to replace your vehicle and you'll be stuck with it.
Sponsored